Vortex HD LHT

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had a chance to test this scope out more? Specifically interested in how reliable it's tracking and if there seems to be much sample variation.

Has anyone had a chance to test this scope out more? Specifically interested in how reliable it's tracking and if there seems to be much sample variation.

First round impacts at 500 today after dropping the rifle (not on purpose) off the tailgate. Haven’t been able to find an issue with it yet. I’ve got 125 ish rounds through it so far. Return to zero has been good within .1mil but I’ve also never shot in less than 15mph winds so it may be perfect. Gusty out here.

anethema

FNG
I finally got to zero mine today. Put it center at 25 yards then backed out to 200. Did a pile of shooting and playing with the scope all around the target (looks like swiss cheese) but in the end I got somewhat close to 0.

C5hkvX0.jpg

Shot a couple groups at the end but was definitely not doing my best shooting. And yes that tree fell over from being shot too much haha.

rbgPvDG.jpg

Shot bottom circled group of 3 shots then adjusted down 1 click the shot very center group of 4 shots.

Need to do more shooting, and actually get some handloads going (this was precision hunter factory stuff) but overall the glass looks just beautiful.

Last edited:

Bater

WKR
Shot it from 460 to 1126yds (10.4mils) today on a rare nearly windless morning. Tracking/RTZ was perfect right along with a couple NXS and SWFA’s. I thing these will ride on a few more of my lightweight rigs.

laker220

FNG
Been looking for a new scope and this seems to check all of the boxes aside from the potential reticle bleed problem in some posts. Not so concerned that a reticle has illumination but I am concerned that this reticle may wash out in low light depending on the background and the use of the illumination may be required early morning and late day when hunting. I would be purchasing the MOA reticle if I got this scope.

So in regards to the reticle bleeding issue. Is this only happening on specific reticles or all of the three reticles? Also, in most cases is it possible to turn the illumination low enough to eliminate the bleed problem?

Last edited:

laker220

FNG
Anyone compared this to the VX-5HD? Comparable glass? The LHT sounds tough and seems like the dialing repeatability and holding zero are doing well just curious about the optical performance (had 2 of the Leupold 3-15 VX-5HD in the past so a good comparison for me and possibly others).

Last edited:

anethema

FNG
I have only heard of the reticle bleed with the hashed reticle in the 44 models. Mine and no one else’s I’ve seen online has reticle bleed in the G4i reticle on the 50mm model.

Been looking for a new scope and this seems to check all of the boxes aside from the potential reticle bleed problem in some posts. Not so concerned that a reticle has illumination but I am concerned that this reticle may wash out in low light depending on the background and the use of the illumination may be required early morning and late day when hunting. I would be purchasing the MOA reticle if I got this scope.

So in regards to the reticle bleeding issue. Is this only happening on specific reticles or all of the three reticles? Also, in most cases is it possible to turn the illumination low enough to eliminate the bleed problem?

Bater

WKR
Anyone compared this to the VX-5HD? Comparable glass? The LHT sounds tough and seems like the dialing repeatability and holding zero are doing well just curious about the optical performance (had 2 of the Leupold 3-15 VX-5HD in the past so a good comparison for me and possibly others).
Yes glass is about identical to my eye

sneaky

"DADDY"
Glass is way down the list of what's useful in a scope. I'm far more concerned with reliability of tracking and return to zero after thousands of rounds of shooting, and thousands of revolutions on the turrets. If the reticles don't do what they're supposed to do, what good at that point, will better "glass" do. I'll wait til later this fall after these have been through the ringer on the shooting circuit to see how their durability is. I've had too many issues with Vortex scopes in the past to think that they have them all sorted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glass is way down the list of what's useful in a scope. I'm far more concerned with reliability of tracking and return to zero after thousands of rounds of shooting, and thousands of revolutions on the turrets. If the reticles don't do what they're supposed to do, what good at that point, will better "glass" do. I'll wait til later this fall after these have been through the ringer on the shooting circuit to see how their durability is. I've had too many issues with Vortex scopes in the past to think that they have them all sorted.

You are honestly in the minority of hunters by running thousands of rounds through each of your hunting rifles with elevation changes on each and every shot.

Everything is a balancing act on a scope. There are tradeoffs between weight, reliability, optical quality, cost, etc.
You can have a scope that will continue to work after a direct hit from a nuclear warhead. However, if you cannot see the animal in this nuke-proof scope then that scope is worthless.

The Razor HD LHT was designed to go on hunting rifles and not rifles that are used on the shooting circuits.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You are honestly in the minority of hunters by running thousands of rounds through each of your hunting rifles with elevation changes on each and every shot.

Everything is a balancing act on a scope. There are tradeoffs between weight, reliability, optical quality, cost, etc.
You can have a scope that will continue to work after a direct hit from a nuclear warhead. However, if you cannot see the animal in this nuke-proof scope then that scope is worthless.

The Razor HD LHT was designed to go on hunting rifles and not rifles that are used on the shooting circuits.

After watching YouTube you are correct ‘hunters’ don’t seem to be practicing but by god they are still shooting. I’ll take average optics and solid guts every time for practicing and hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"

You mean, I'm in the minority of hunters who actually practice enough to tell? I guess it doesn't matter if you shoot a box of ammo off the bench before season and call it good. Again, I've had multiple Vortex scopes fail with very few rounds under them. This scope may be a bridge the gap type optic, but until I see one with a lot of use and still tracking, I'll pass. For that price range there are proven optics, not just ones wth "a great warranty and customer service".

KurtR

WKR
Scopes are aiming devices. Any worth shooting glass has never kept me from killing bad internals will mess stuff up real quick

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
After watching YouTube you are correct ‘hunters’ don’t seem to be practicing but by god they are still shooting. I’ll take average optics and solid guts every time for practicing and hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a scopes you would recommend based on reliability/tracking?

The Razor series seems to have a fairly good reputation for tracking on other sites (particularly the Gen II and AMG).

strawman

Lil-Rokslider

Curious as to what Vortex scopes you've had issues with and what the issues were? I've never seen any issues with the Razor line and they are amongst the most widely used scopes in NRL and PRS.