Vortex HD LHT

Which one did you end up hunting with?

After handling and looking through both, I preferred the Vortex and used that one. So far I have about 50 rounds sent with the LHT from a 7.5 lb 338 win mag and it's at least holding zero. The advantages that I like the most of the Vortex is a sharper reticle slightly better glass, the ability to go to 15x, capped (smaller) windage turret, locking elevation turret. As long as it doesn't crap the bed this should be everything I need in a hunting scope.

And the hunt was a great success, btw. My 75 year old Dad and I brought out a nice spike-fork moose and we even had good weather too.

After handling and looking through both, I preferred the Vortex and used that one. So far I have about 50 rounds sent with the LHT from a 7.5 lb 338 win mag and it's at least holding zero. The advantages that I like the most of the Vortex is a sharper reticle slightly better glass, the ability to go to 15x, capped (smaller) windage turret, locking elevation turret. As long as it doesn't crap the bed this should be everything I need in a hunting scope.

And the hunt was a great success, btw. My 75 year old Dad and I brought out a nice spike-fork moose and we even had good weather too.

Those turrets on the SWFA 3-9 kind of sorry me for walking around in the timber. I picked up a LHT but haven't used it yet and I always second guess my decision. I have a Bushnell LRTS-i as well and the weight savings of the LHT is very nice but I just want to trust it can keep it's zero.

Anyway thanks for the info and glad you had a successful hunt with your dad.

I took mine to the range yesterday for the first time. Reticle is super sharp and I really like the exposed turret. Was able to get zeroed. I’m confident this is a scope that can work to 1,000 yards no problem and hope to test that soon. I did have a hard time getting the diopter focused as the system is different than other scopes I’ve used.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I am very interested in this scope but have a few questions. Does this scope have enough adjustment or moa to dial to 1000yards with a 100 yard zero? If it does have enough adjustment are you guys able to efficiency hit targets or game at that distance?
I have a few scopes that have my eye but wondering if shooting at that distance I would be better off with a higher magnification scope.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bater

WKR
I am very interested in this scope but have a few questions. Does this scope have enough adjustment or moa to dial to 1000yards with a 100 yard zero? If it does have enough adjustment are you guys able to efficiency hit targets or game at that distance?
I have a few scopes that have my eye but wondering if shooting at that distance I would be better off with a higher magnification scope.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using

Have you done the math yourself given your load data? Scope has 80 moa or 23 mils so a zero rail would give you approximately half that of “up”....short answer would be yes, easily

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

It has plenty of vertical adjustment you could also mount on a 20 moa rail for more.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I do not know my load data yet. I just picked up a savage ultralight 28 nosler and trying to determine what optic I wanna top it with. I have a few boxes of differenr factory ammo but will know better once I shoot some and see what the gun likes best

FLS

WKR
I have a 20 MOA rail on my rifle. No problem getting out to 1K yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 140 Hybrids and 130 Gamechangers. Glass is very good. I bought on as soon as it came out and I’ve been very pleased. It checked a lot of boxes for me. I prefer second focal for my hunting scopes, 3-15 magnification range is ideal, and I really like the reticle. It’s sharp and easy to use.
I dialed to shoot my antelope at 665, doubled on whitetail does at 310 and 320, and shot my buck at 180 using the reticle for holdovers. The buck was right at last legal light and I was able to see him clearly enough to precisely place my shot.

8nbait

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to remember is...with the zero stop ring installed you get about 28 MOA total.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

Great question! This will depend very heavily on your ballistics and your setup. The Razor HD LHT has 80 MOA or 23 MRAD of internal elevation travel. As already noted, if you install the Rev-Stop Zero Stop system it will limit this travel to 27 MOA or 11 MRAD. If you have a 20 MOA or 30 MOA rail on your rifle you should be able to hit at 1,000 yards (depending on where you fall in the internal travel).

When it comes to taking game at this distance there are lots of things to consider. One very important factor is whether or not you will have enough kinetic energy at that distance. Generally, you need about 1,000 ft-lbs for deer and 1,500 ft-lbs for elk. Personally, I set a limit for myself of 600 yards for shooting animals as there are a lot of variables that start coming into play.

If you have to ask you should probably put a solid pause on thinking about "efficiently hitting game at 1000 yards."

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
If you have to ask you should probably put a solid pause on thinking about "efficiently hitting game at 1000 yards."
I am definitely not looking to just start slinging lead at game at that distance. I am very confident out to 600 yards and have killed several animals at that distance. I would like to stretch my distance on paper and have some fun with my 28 nosler, but feel a bit overwhelmed when looking at all these scopes. Just when I think I have it narrowed down I start reading on a different scope. Thanks for all the help guys!

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I am definitely not looking to just start slinging lead at game at that distance. I am very confident out to 600 yards and have killed several animals at that distance. I would like to stretch my distance on paper and have some fun with my 28 nosler, but feel a bit overwhelmed when looking at all these scopes. Just when I think I have it narrowed down I start reading on a different scope. Thanks for all the help guys!

If you have any questions on our optics, don't hesitate to reach out!

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know of any great black Friday deals on an LHT

Bater

WKR
Yep $800 at Liberty is the best I have found, I am now on week five so I hope they ship my 3rd LHT soon

Jusbert

FNG
@mwf008 how did you end up with your Razor LHT? I just bought the same scope and use it a lot in dusk, so the illumination problem for me is severe. Other than that I think this is the best scope taking into account price, weight and glass. I'd really appreciate the input if illumination can be corrected with service. Sorry for my English and greetings from a new member from Finland!

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
@mwf008 how did you end up with your Razor LHT? I just bought the same scope and use it a lot in dusk, so the illumination problem for me is severe. Other than that I think this is the best scope taking into account price, weight and glass. I'd really appreciate the input if illumination can be corrected with service. Sorry for my English and greetings from a new member from Finland!
Hey there - what seems to be going on with your illumination?

Jusbert

FNG
They all bleed.

Not that big of a deal to me, I don’t like mine very high but it’s been there on all 3 I’ve owned when cranked up.
I wouldn't mind If the issue would only be visible when cranked up but when you're hunting in lowest light the additional glare gets pretty annoying even on the lowest setting. For my taste the lowest setting is a bit too bright for full moon stalking but maybe I'll try to tweak it with a 1,5V battery (should get it even dimmer). But if there wouldn't exist the "red ring" that can be noticed from the picture at page #7 it would be okay, bleeding isn't really an issue with lower brightness but the dim glare ring appearing in the ocular view is. I'll try to take some pictures as well tomorrow.