Vortex option help??

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
High country archery mule deer hunt colorado which option??

A) vortex viper had 10x42 w/tripod
B) vortex diamond back 10x42 w/ vortex 20 60x60 spotter or some type for spotter

I'm on a budget, and have other stuff to buy.

Beastmode

WKR
I have spent a little bit of time behind the diamond backs and wasn't really impressed. For there price range they seem to be one of the better sets of binos out there, but seemed like they would give me a headache if I used them all day.

The viper hd's are some of the best bang bino for the buck out there imo. If I had to choose between the two options uou gave it would be the viper hd's. I would get a good spotter later on when it is affordable.

I think a good set of binos would be better than mediocre spotter and binos.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
X2 on getting the best binos you can first. I usually spot the vast majority of animals with binos. The spotter is great too but can wait until later

mt100gr.

WKR
I've been using 8x42 diamondbacks for 2 seasons now. They aren't bad. I am upgrading this year though. I also have a vortex nomad spotter that was more of an impulse buy. It's also not bad for the price (discontinued). You'll go crosseyed if you spend a day behind it, but it's pretty good for verifying what I see with the binos. I'm torn between the vortex vipers and meopta hds. Definitely going with the 10x this time though. For the money, I think vortex d-backs are darn good. If you plan to change gears, like I have, to more open country/ high country glassing I would recommend the vipers. They are definitely superior. The "buy the best you can almost afford" rule definitely applies here. Vortex will give you excellent bang for the buck whatever you choose.

Shrek

WKR
Might want to pm Elknut1 about a price on some razors. He is known to give a private quote that makes it hard to say no. That or look for some demo quality binoculars from cameralandny. They are both sponsors here . I'm with the best binoculars you can buy and skip the spotting scope until you can properly fund both. You might end up hiking an extra mile to judge the deer you spotted with your binoculars but good glass will make it much easier to stay behind your binoculars and find more animals period.

dotman

WKR
Cameralandny has a ton of vortex demos at great prices. They have the non hd viper spotter on clearance for $350ish I think.

You should be able to save a ton on their demo units which probably never even came out of their boxes.

I would check out all their demos from the different brands as well.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I would step up to the Vipers. I have the diamondbacks. I like them and they work fine for me, but have been contiplating on upgrading for sometime now.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda off the vortex line, I found out I can get busnell elite hd 10x42 their top glass for 120 cheaper than best deal I can find on the viper HD. I still need a gps, tent,bag, new boots, stove, and misc items so every 100 bucks counts.

Beastmode

WKR
You are the only one that actually knows what you can afford. If thats the price range you are in I would go to an optics store and try out as many as you can. Look at all details of the bino. Quality of glass, weight, features, warranty....