Vortex or Leupold Spotting Scope under 1000?

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
What would be a better purchase for a hunting spotting Scope ? This will be my first ever purchase of a Spotting scope just wondering which spotting scope are you happy with and why? Something under 1000 dollars and which brand would be a better purchase?

archp625

WKR
Your best bet it to go to a store that sells both and try them out yourself. One person may like one brand and your eyes absolutely hate it. I know there have been several reviews on budget scopes on rokslide. I watched one recently and ended up picking one up because of the review and the person doing it. Its not one that you mentioned though.

Your best bet it to go to a store that sells both and try them out yourself. One person may like one brand and your eyes absolutely hate it. I know there have been several reviews on budget scopes on rokslide. I watched one recently and ended up picking one up because of the review and the person doing it. Its not one that you mentioned though.
What he said. Also, get out of the store and look right before dark, that's when you can really tell the difference between optical quality.

keller

WKR
Sportsmans Warehouse has the vortex razor gen 1 85mm for. $749. You can get on their e-mail list and get a code for another 10% off. For under $1k it's a good option.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Sportsmans Warehouse has the vortex razor gen 1 85mm for. $749. You can get on their e-mail list and get a code for another 10% off. For under $1k it's a good option.

Awesome thank you!

Which one do you guys use?
I have a 65mm razor currently, but am planning on upgrading here shortly. I've looked through a few of the higher end Leupolds and there is a noticable difference in glass clarity and brightness through my eyes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 65mm razor currently, but am planning on upgrading here shortly. I've looked through a few of the higher end Leupolds and there is a noticable difference in glass clarity and brightness through my eyes.

Someone recommended the Kowa TSN-553 15-45x55 they said the are great. Have you looked at those yet?

From what I've read, it's very good glass and a reputable spotter. I haven't been able to look through one myself however.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone above. I use the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60. I picked it for its weight and pretty dang good glass. I bought mine off of Locked & Loaded for less than $1k.

eosone

FNG
I just had one of these delivered yesterday. Impressive for the dollars spent !
I ordered it at 2pm Monday, and UPS delivered it at 4pm Tuesday in Wisconsin !

I'm in the same boat here. Looking for a mid-level spotter just for the increased power. Seems like Vortex/Leupold both would be good options in this price range with obviously better options out there if your budget allows. I have Viper 12x binos and they seem fine but know I'll need more down the road.

Ravenk

FNG
I use the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 bought it off Locked and Loaded and the weight is just perfect.

keller

WKR
I ordered the vortex 85 and returned it.I decided to save some more money and go with a kowa 77.kind of a in between size.

I agree with everyone above. I use the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60. I picked it for its weight and pretty dang good glass. I bought mine off of Locked & Loaded for less than $1k.
I have this scope in the HD version and like it because it is lightweight and packs easily. I bought mine used on Craigslist so I didn't pay retail. Only con is the straight eyepiece.

JNDEER

WKR
The history of most “which spotter” threads on the site and reviews from trusted unbiased users would agree that the razor is better optically than the gold ring spotting scope line. Not many reviews if leupolds new line. I have a gen1 razor and believe it is a fantastic scope when compared to the middle tier ($1000) scope range. Usually what made it better for me when compared to others was the fine focus! When I purchased a used STM 65 HD I figured it wouldn’t take but 2 seconds to see the difference of alpha glass compared to “China” as many will say. Sadly I was not wowed out of the gate and it took a weekend of really using both to find where alpha glass shines compared to mid-tier glass and for the average hunter mid-tier glass is all you would need, IMO.

specific examples is at first light I was looking under a big oak (500ish yard) and the brightness of the razor was less- but I could make out the branch under the tree where as the swaro was brighter but I had a harder time tuning the image clearity to really see the branch. Fast forward an hour or so and we find a buck at about 1 mile away and the razo we could easily see it was a buck and could logically assume a forky with the antler appearing to curve and thus you could deduce it was Atleast a fork (small blacktail buck). Now the swaro after some use and figuring out the focus I was able to actually see both sides of the fork on his antler. Later looking towards the sun at about 850 yards looked at a fallen log with branches. The razor could see the 2” circumference branch and that was about it- the swaro could follow the branch up where it forked again into 1” diameter branches and we could see the coloration on the branch of bark to no bark spots.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

How would it compare to the Athlon Cronus the 12x36x50 ? Quality wise would there be a huge difference?

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
How would it compare to the Athlon Cronus the 12x36x50 ? Quality wise would there be a huge difference?
I really don't know because I haven't used the Athlon. I would still lean towards the 60 because you're getting more light.

My Gold Ring is the HD version by the way. At the end of the day, the spotter isn't going to be used that much compared to binos, and so I went with what I felt like was a great weight with pretty dang good glass.