Vortex or Maven

cdowns

FNG
Looking for some input. I'm in the $1000-$1200 range for new binos. I've been using two sets of Viper HD for hunting and scouting. Usually an 8x42 for hunting and a 10x50 for scouting. I'm wanting to both downsize to 1 pair and upgrade to a better glass. I've had good luck with my Vortex and have also been hearing good things about Maven. I can't afford Swaros or I'd have them on my watch list. My questions are, what would be a good go between size for one good all around pair and which are better quality? The Vortex Razor HD or Maven B1(I'm thinking 10x42). Or would I better better off looking at the Maven B2 in 9x45 or 11x45, or possibly finding a used set of Razor UHD in 10x42?
Thanks

nobody

WKR
Razor HD is a tier below the B series from Maven, so you comparing the Razor HD to the B1 is kindof an Apples to Oranges comparison. Nothing against the Razor HD, but they're just not comparable to one another.

The Razor UHD is very comparable with the Maven B.2 that goes for about $500 less. If money is the determining factor, save another $150 or $200 and wait a few weeks and then order the B.2. It'll be an insane step up from the Vipers. If money is no issue, buy the Razor UHD and don't look back. You won't go wrong either way. My dad owns the UHD's in 12x50 and holy crap, they're insanely good!

The price of the B.2's puts them competing with the Razor HD's but they are a definite tier above, and that's because Maven does the direct to consumer thing like Kuiu and cuts out the middle man. If those B.2's were in store, they would retail right alongside the Razor UHD's, and they should. Those two optics are as close as you can get to Swaro without spending Swaro money.

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
Razor HD is a tier below the B series from Maven, so you comparing the Razor HD to the B1 is kindof an Apples to Oranges comparison. Nothing against the Razor HD, but they're just not comparable to one another.

The Razor UHD is very comparable with the Maven B.2 that goes for about $500 less. If money is the determining factor, save another $150 or $200 and wait a few weeks and then order the B.2. It'll be an insane step up from the Vipers. If money is no issue, buy the Razor UHD and don't look back. You won't go wrong either way. My dad owns the UHD's in 12x50 and holy crap, they're insanely good!

The price of the B.2's puts them competing with the Razor HD's but they are a definite tier above, and that's because Maven does the direct to consumer thing like Kuiu and cuts out the middle man. If those B.2's were in store, they would retail right alongside the Razor UHD's, and they should. Those two optics are as close as you can get to Swaro without spending Swaro money.
Thanks for the input. If I could get a pair of lightly used Razor UHD 10x42, for around $1200, would you take them or buy the Maven B2 and if so, which Maven B2, 9x or 11x.

I can’t compare the UHD, but keep an eye on the classifieds for used B2s, you can get them for a good bit less than new Razor HDs. Buying my Mavens was easily the best upgrade I’ve made.

nobody

WKR
Thanks for the input. If I could get a pair of lightly used Razor UHD 10x42, for around $1200, would you take them or buy the Maven B2 and if so, which Maven B2, 9x or 11x.
If you go with the Maven's, I would go with the 9x45's. If the UHD's were made in the 10x50's, I would already own a pair (I work at sportsman's warehouse and my in store employee discount puts them at the same price as the Maven's). The reason for those sizes is the 5mm exit pupil you get with those binos lets in more light to your eye.

If you can get the UHD's used for the same price as a new pair of Maven's, then I would say it's a moot point. They're so close just flip a coin and make your choice! Same warranty with both companies, great customer service with both. But the 9x45 Maven's are about $1,050, so at $1200 the used UHD's are still more money. Just depends on how big of a deal that is to you!

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
You can afford Swaro's. A nice used set of Swaro SLC HD's just sold today and asking price was $1200 and they are better than both of your choices. I'd keep an eye on the classifieds and buy used SLC's. Meopta Meostars are another good choice. Two sets of Nikon Monarch HG's sold today for $600 which is only half your budget but every bit as good if not better than both the Maven's and Razors. Tract Torics are another great option for way less money than your budget.

I guess what I'm saying is you can do better than the Razors or Mavens for equal or less money. If you are dead set on those two, then the MIJ Mavens over the Chinese Razors all day long.

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
You can afford Swaro's. A nice used set of Swaro SLC HD's just sold today and asking price was $1200 and they are better than both of your choices. I'd keep an eye on the classifieds and buy used SLC's. Meopta Meostars are another good choice. Two sets of Nikon Monarch HG's sold today for $600 which is only half your budget but every bit as good if not better than both the Maven's and Razors. Tract Torics are another great option for way less money than your budget.

I guess what I'm saying is you can do better than the Razors or Mavens for equal or less money. If you are dead set on those two, then the MIJ Mavens over the Chinese Razors all day long.
Thanks. I noticed the SLCs after it was too late. I’m new to this forum and can’t post in the classifieds yet or send messages, so I couldn’t have got a shot at them anyway. I found this site looking up reviews. Didn’t even know there were classifieds until yesterday. I just got registered today, so I’ll probably miss out on a few more deals before I can message or post in the classifieds lol.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Just post a few more times in this thread and you'll be good.

Ive looked through a lot of Vortex glass (I get a deal on them) and Ive looked through a lot of Maven glass (a client is sponsored by them). at 8 and 10 power you cant tell a different between the Razor HD and the B1. I can tell a difference once i get into the 12-15 power range, the Mavens shine past the Vortex. The Vortex obviously come with their amazing warranty but I have looked through the 11x42 B1 and they are an amazing in between power optic.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Just shared this in a separate thread, but might help you out?

I’d recommend Maven B2 9x45s based on what you were looking for.

If you have an hour free these two guys break down a lot of different binos. I believe they liked the Maven B2s glass even over the 10x42 SLCs. There is a part one and a part two of this comparison.

In the end, they’ll both be excellent glass and I think we spend a lot of time nitpicking very small stuff that people might not even notice if we weren’t really trying, haha. But I don’t care...it’s fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
Just shared this in a separate thread, but might help you out?

I’d recommend Maven B2 9x45s based on what you were looking for.

If you have an hour free these two guys break down a lot of different binos. I believe they liked the Maven B2s glass even over the 10x42 SLCs. There is a part one and a part two of this comparison.

In the end, they’ll both be excellent glass and I think we spend a lot of time nitpicking very small stuff that people might not even notice if we weren’t really trying, haha. But I don’t care...it’s fun.

Thanks

CullenMS

FNG
Appreciate everyone’s perspective as I’ve been having this exact debate between Maven and Vortex. Also just recently made aware of the classifieds and top end glass that’s available on deal. Going to need to keep my eyes peeled!

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
I'm just glad I found this place. The more I look around, the more info I'm gathering on optics. I had no idea about this place until I started researching optics.

I played this game with trying to find the best bang for my buck with Japanese glass and eventually broke down, saved up and bought European. I should have just bought once and fraught once.

This^

JakeSCH

WKR
B2 hands down from your options...but honestly you are right there for swaros with the selloff that has been going on. I picked up a pair of 2015 El's for $1400 this week in great condition.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
I played this game with trying to find the best bang for my buck with Japanese glass and eventually broke down, saved up and bought European. I should have just bought once and fraught once.

Damnit, Stefen...just let us enjoy our slightly below alpha glass!