Vortex over Swaro? Am I high?

ljalberta

WKR
Whole heck of a lot of people who haven't even looked through the UHD's saying you're high. The UHD's are not the normal Razors. Here's a review from a direct comparison https://blog.sandsarchery.com/vortex-razor-uhd-10x42-review/ . Turn's out they too thought glassing in good light was better with the UHDs than the SLCs, giving the SLCs a slight edge during low light situations. That's a far cry from "not even close in low light". I'm a Swaro fan boy, but optically, the UHDs are no joke.

MtnMuley

WKR
Hahahahaha, I was going to reply, but the masses beat me too it. I'd recommend trying them again, because in zero way would I compare the new Vortex's to the Swaros on quality or sharper images.

OP
M

msummer88

FNG
Whole heck of a lot of people who haven't even looked through the UHD's saying you're high. The UHD's are not the normal Razors. Here's a review from a direct comparison https://blog.sandsarchery.com/vortex-razor-uhd-10x42-review/ . Turn's out they too thought glassing in good light was better with the UHDs than the SLCs, giving the SLCs a slight edge during low light situations. That's a far cry from "not even close in low light". I'm a Swaro fan boy, but optically, the UHDs are no joke.

Haha! Thank you! I was actually waiting to hear from someone that has actually spent some time with them, instead of the "are you nuts?" from those that haven't even looked through them. I know I'm 99% sure that I'll end up with the Swaro's because of the durability, low light performance etc. but those UHD's had me doing a couple double takes.

JGRaider

WKR
I looked at them briefly. They are very nice optically, and atrocious ergos to go with it. They are much too large, and appear to be a dead ringer for the maven 9x45 ergonomically. Probably made in the same Japanese plant. I'll take an SLC every time, any day.

tdhanses

WKR

While this may be correct they are still vortex which has a strong history of failures and warranty use.

I can't comment on the 15x.
I have the Swaro SLC 10x42 and the 10x42 Vortex Viper HD which my kids are running.
In the field there is a definite difference. One is alpha one clearly is not. SLC are much more pleasant to look through for a long period of time. SLC much more crisp/clear especially at distance. FOV, not sure the numbers for each, but when looking through both, much wider to the eye on the SLC. SLC much better in low light and brighter overall. I have compared both side-by-side, many times, looking at the same tree, bush, twig, leaf, pine needle, rock, deer, elk, etc. I have never regretted the SLCs. Kids being kids I much prefer the Vortex VIP warranty for them.

I spent some time comparing the 10x42 UHD’s to the SLC’s outside on a dull day. To my eyes the UHD’s were better as well. They had a brighter image and most definitely sharper to the edges than the SLC’s. I believe a big part of the difference between the two was the Abbe Koenig prism in the UHD’s, which by design is brighter, though the glass is surely higher quality in the Swaro’s. What did I buy though? 8x32 EL’s, which tops them both for my intended purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Also agree the UHDs are strong. There is a cult following for Swaro that makes it tough to get an unbiased opinion for any other brand. Can’t comment on folks bad experience on vortex. I’ve been running various scopes, binos, spotters for a decade with zero issues. I guess I’m just lucky. I like other brands stuff too. Have some mavens, Meoptas, owned a dozen others. Are there better things than vortex? Sure. Do they cost twice as much? Yup. Are they twice as good? Nope.

All eyes are different.

People writing off UHDs are biased though. They are comparable, whether folks want to admit it or not.

I'm planning on replacing my 15x56 Viper HD's for some better glass and I just assumed I'd get the 15 SLC's.

Now I'm confused as hell. I recently went to Cabelas to take a gander at the 15x56 SLC's and I also looked through the 18x56 UHD. Am I crazy to think the Vortex had a sharper and better image? I mean I seriously preferred looking through the UHD's than the Swaro's. Now the guy at the counter did tell me that I need to come back and take them outside when its a low light situation in the evening and he said I would notice the difference between the two and assured me thats where the SLC would stand out. So I still need to do that, as well as check the edge to edge clarity a bit more, but initially I was shocked. I probably wouldn't do the 18x56 if I went with Vortex but would probably do the 12x50's UHD...am I crazy to even consider the UHD's or should I just shut up and stop sounding ridiculous and buy the Swaro's?

Whatever one I pick will be my main piece of glass that I carry. I'll run them on a tripod 70% of the time until I can save up for a premium spotter.
The only thing that matters is how they look TO YOU. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Resale will be higher on the Swaros because of their cult-like following.

The only thing that matters is how they look TO YOU. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Resale will be higher on the Swaros because of their cult-like following.

No, the resale is higher because they are an instrument with top notch optics built with some craftsmanship, and have withstood the test of time. I would argue the vortex following is more cult like than anything. Vortex stickers in lifted truck windows, vortex nation shirts and hats. Vortex marketing director is a freaking genius.

I would add that there's a reason Swarovski has such a following. It didn't appear out of nowhere.

Bcowette

FNG
Testing binoculars inside a store is stupid. Take them outside in the real world conditions. I have a buddy that is a tight wad with his money. He likes to tell himself and everyone else that his vortex vipers are just as good as Swaro slc's. If you don't like spending money you can convince yourself of some pretty silly things to make yourself feel better about the purchase that saved you some cash. LOL.

HNTR918

WKR
The nice lady at my Cabela's took both outside and mounted them on a heavy tripod SLC vs UHD. During the middle of the day I was looking at trees, bushes, roofs, and siding. They seemed very similar until I saw some very small writing on a sign for a store. I don't know if it was the 3x more magnification but the UHD took less "work" to read. Lower price and VIP warranty helped push me to the UHD and ignore all the "buy once cry once" Swaro fans. I've had them out in the field glassing for 23 days so far, and they are my best friend. Don't even pack the spotter most afternoon hikes in Colorado.

No, the resale is higher because they are an instrument with top notch optics built with some craftsmanship, and have withstood the test of time. I would argue the vortex following is more cult like than anything. Vortex stickers in lifted truck windows, vortex nation shirts and hats. Vortex marketing director is a freaking genius.
ruh-roh, how dare I mention the cult.

Testing binoculars inside a store is stupid. Take them outside in the real world conditions. I have a buddy that is a tight wad with his money. He likes to tell himself and everyone else that his vortex vipers are just as good as Swaro slc's. If you don't like spending money you can convince yourself of some pretty silly things to make yourself feel better about the purchase that saved you some cash. LOL.
I'd go one step further and say that testing binoculars that are not side-by-side tripod mounted in dim light, can be very misleading. Just taking two pairs of bins outside the store in mid-day light doesn't tell you much more than you can learn in the store.

MattB

WKR
Your eyes will tell you which is best, but I would mirror the comments that you need to do that in low light to mirror hunting conditions.

Swaro's will likely be more trouble-free and will definately hold their value better than Vortex.

Make sure before testing any binocular you adjust the diopter to your eye. Otherwise, you can't truly evaluate that binocular. I never see anyone in the store adjusting the diopter. The representative hands them the binocular and they start looking around. Just a tip. FWIW.