Vortex PST or Strike Eagle

Chett09

FNG
I have a tikka t3 and want to put a scope on for hunting. i have narrowed it down between the vortex pst 5-25x50 and the vortex strike eagle 5-25x56. Do any of you shoot with either or these optics? if so what are your thoughts? both have a illuminated reticle and are FFP in moa

I have a Strike Eagle…and if I were you I would buy the PST if you have to go with one or the other. The PST glass is very nice and it’s a proven solid optic.

My main gripes with the Strike Eagle are the busy reticle on full power (that complaint even comes from a guy that uses tactical reticle frequently - Razor Gen2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C). Also, the parallax adjustment between 75 and 300 yards is super short which tends to make it finicky and small adjustments can quickly get you out of focus. Therefore, I wouldn’t recommend it for a hunting scope.

I also have the new LHT…that is one helluva scope. It’s worth a look if your sticking with Vortex.

nobody

WKR
I've got a Strike Eagle 5-25x56. I had it on a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter for a minute. It seemed to track reliably and the reticle and glass didn't bother me. My issue was the weight and shear physical size. It was very unbalanced on a lightweight rifle, and frankly just too much for what my gun is. I'm all for good magnification and long range capabilities in a hunting rifle and optic setup because I don't want my weapon and optic to be the reason I don't take a shot on an animal. I want ME to be the limiting factor. I don't think the Strike Eagle would've been that limiting factor, but it was just physically too much scope, mainly for the balance. I pulled it off and it now resides in my safe, waiting for a bench gun it can call home. It's just too much physically for a hunting rifle. Never owned or shot behind a PST so I won't comment there.

I've got a Strike Eagle 5-25x56. I had it on a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter for a minute. It seemed to track reliably and the reticle and glass didn't bother me. My issue was the weight and shear physical size. It was very unbalanced on a lightweight rifle, and frankly just too much for what my gun is. I'm all for good magnification and long range capabilities in a hunting rifle and optic setup because I don't want my weapon and optic to be the reason I don't take a shot on an animal. I want ME to be the limiting factor. I don't think the Strike Eagle would've been that limiting factor, but it was just physically too much scope, mainly for the balance. I pulled it off and it now resides in my safe, waiting for a bench gun it can call home. It's just too much physically for a hunting rifle. Never owned or shot behind a PST so I won't comment there.
The PST is equally hefty if that's a concern for the OP

nobody

WKR
The PST is equally hefty if that's a concern for the OP
For me it wasn't only the weight, it was the distribution of that weight. Maybe the PST is the same way, but the Strike Eagle is just physically large, and the 56mm objective bell pushed all that weight in front of the front action screw, which murdered the ergonomics for me. I feel like the PST would balance better on a rifle, but maybe not?

You're probably right. With the smaller 50mm objective I'm sure some weight is shifted back to center. SE is also a 34mm tube vs the 30mm PST. I bet they do handle differently...

nobody

WKR
You're probably right. With the smaller 50mm objective I'm sure some weight is shifted back to center. SE is also a 34mm tube vs the 30mm PST. I bet they do handle differently...
The center of gravity is also probably 3/4" higher with the strike eagle than a PST on a hunting rifle. If you're shooting a chassis gun it doesn't matter, but it's a bigger deal when you're lightweight hunting rifle is top heavy.

OP, sorry to thread jack. Bottom line, I think you'll regret the Strike Eagle on your Tikka. In order to give some input, can you give us a bit more info?

What's it chambered in?
How far do you realistically plan to shoot it? Everybody wants to be Chris Kyle, but do you need that much mag?
How well do you understand ballistics?

Maybe both are grossly too much for your skill set and planned use case. If you never plan to shoot beyond 400 yards, you don't need either one. A rugged 3-9 from a reputable manufacturer will do all that and more. Or maybe you're a full time PRS shooter, I'm not sure. But it would help if you gave us some context to your plans and intended use.

OP
Chett09

Chett09

FNG
The center of gravity is also probably 3/4" higher with the strike eagle than a PST on a hunting rifle. If you're shooting a chassis gun it doesn't matter, but it's a bigger deal when you're lightweight hunting rifle is top heavy.

OP, sorry to thread jack. Bottom line, I think you'll regret the Strike Eagle on your Tikka. In order to give some input, can you give us a bit more info?

What's it chambered in?
How far do you realistically plan to shoot it? Everybody wants to be Chris Kyle, but do you need that much mag?
How well do you understand ballistics?

Maybe both are grossly too much for your skill set and planned use case. If you never plan to shoot beyond 400 yards, you don't need either one. A rugged 3-9 from a reputable manufacturer will do all that and more. Or maybe you're a full time PRS shooter, I'm not sure. But it would help if you gave us some context to your plans and intended use.
It's chambered in 300 win mag. I practice out to 600 yards and occasionally further. I have a 7mm rem mag with a leupold cds 4.5×14x40 which i like but I want a 50mm objective, lighted reticle and something with more zoom, thus the viper pst. i am not locked in with that scope but it checks all the boxes. After watching the Cyclops video he has me second guessing. I would like to stay in that PST price point. i am open to suggestions.

If I were in the market I'd consider the PST Gen 1 6-24x50. They're regarded as the best from that generation and are currently on closeout at Eurooptic for <$500. But I'm a high value kinda guy so...

Other good options are the PST2, Burris XTRII, Sightron SIII, etc. Reticle preference will obviously be a deciding factor.