Vortex pst

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a vortex pst mrad. 4-16 or preferably 6-24. More than likely a gen 1, but are gen 2s worth the extra money? I keep hearing a lot of mixed reviews. I have two gen 1s and like them. There are probably better out there, but they are meeting my needs. I like the idea of less weight from gen 1s but is glass a lot better in gen 2s? Also just wondering what I should be paying for a gen 1 these days.
Thanks

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Great question - the original PST is a fantastic scope and if you can get your hands on one it is a great option and because it is an older model you should be able to find it for a pretty reasonable price.

There will be some noticeable differences though by upgrading to the PST Gen II. You'll get an upgraded optical system (better clarity, resolution, and low-light performance) and an upgraded turret design with a true mechanical zero stop will be the the main ones. It will be heavier though as you noted.

What are you mainly going to be using it for?

OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 possible scenarios. I've got a new gun that I'd like to get either a new scope for or swap off my old gun. The new gun is more lightweight and will be carrying in mountains, thus the reason for looking for less weight. However if the gen 2s really are a lot better on the clarity I may be inclined to look in that direction. The turrets and zero stop havent sold me because I feel like the gen 1s work fine for me. If weight becomes to much then I can swap off old gun. The old gun is more of a bench gun anyway.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Gotcha - the original PST maybe what you are looking for if weight is a concern. Another great option, and may be easier to find, is the Viper HST. These come in both 4-16x44 and a 6-24x50. Only difference is that it has a different reticle and no illumination. Optically they are the same, so if you could find an HST and PST Gen II in stores you could compare them side by side.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have a PST gen ii in 3-15x44. It's a fantastic scope with clear glass and a nice illuminated reticle. The turrets are also great with the zero stop. However, it is a bit heavy for hunting. I'd personally look at a few other options unless you don't mind extra weight.

Sled

WKR
i have the gen 1 pst 4-16x44, 6-24x50, Lr 4-16x44 and a hand full of diamondback hd scopes. my favorite is the 4-16 pst in mrad since i've had a lot of experience with it. it tracks true for me and i can see thru it long after shooting light is done. the LR is nice for having the windage capped and a little lighter than the pst but i believe it is lower quality glass. it still gets the job done though. the 6-24 is great as well but only saw 6 shots from the bench and got unmounted this year as the gun was sold. all my guns are currently mounted except one so i'm trying to decide if i want to sell that gun too. if i do i might just sell the scope. if not, it'll make a tack driver out of my 300 wby mark-v. so far i've had great luck with vortex scopes but i know they are not NightForce so i don't use them to also hammer nails.

JLB-MT

FNG
There are better scopes than a PST Gen 1. While I have not had a problem with mine I am reading reports of issues with their turrets failing. I am not overwhelmed by the image quality of the one I have.

carbon

FNG
I have 4 or 5 PST Gen ii 3-15x50s. Their FOV blows many high end scopes out of the water. 41.2ft at 100yds! Sharp too. Equal to my Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 but FFP and wider FOV.

Only things I wish it had would be locking turrets and if it lost 8oz. Both not that big of a deal to me. Turrets are stiff so they tend not to move accidentally.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I gave a pst gen ii and I recently purchased a Zeiss Conquest V4. I'd say the glass is a tad brighter and clearer in the Zeiss but I haven't shot the Zeiss yet. The Zeiss is definitely lighter and more compact so it's a bit better for hunting. Also, the Zeiss has a capped windage adjustment which is really nice if you hold for wind.

JLB-MT

FNG
Each eye is different. I have the same Leupold VX6HD and mine is night and day better than my PST generation ii 3x15 44. Just compared them before making this post. To my eyes the image quality of the Leupold blows the PST away. Everyone perceives things differently.

carbon

FNG
Each eye is different. I have the same Leupold VX6HD and mine is night and day better than my PST generation ii 3x15 44. Just compared them before making this post. To my eyes the image quality of the Leupold blows the PST away. Everyone perceives things differently.
I agree. I should always note in my thoughts on optics that for reference, I have quite poor vision. Nearsighted -12 and -10, used to be corrected to 20/20 (and what I base my impressions on). In the past year I've developed the beginnings of cataracts. I know high rx glasses screw with optic impressions as compared with a perfect Mark 1 eyeball, so there you have it.

JLB-MT

FNG
Carbon, that is why the scope market is not a one size fits all market. For some reason Vortex Viper scopes and lower models yield poor image quality for my eyes. The fine detail of images is distorted and fuzzy. For most of my shooting this is not a problem. One afternoon just for the kicks of it, I compared scopes on small items on my range. Vortex scopes were near the bottom of the scale when it came to image clarity. Optics that were compared ranged from a Swarovski at the top end and a clam shell Bushnell at the lower end. All were kept to a common magnification.

OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
All,
Thanks for the info. I couldnt agree more on the each eye is different part. Just like each rifle is different. None the less, it is good to hear many opinions. I have looked through a zeiss a leupold and vortex. Pure and simple they all work. But I do see variances between each one. So what fits ones needs may be different for the next one. Simply put, to me vortex has a couple very functional scopes. If price were not an option I'd venture out to different brands, but I have yet to find a scope that can beat the gen 1 price with the function that comes with.