Vortex Ranger 1000 rangefinder - thoughts

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Thoughts on the Vortex rangefinder, guys? This RF is on sale and I am in need of a new one. Usage will be for archery 90% of the time.

Thank you.

ianpadron

WKR
For archery can't go wrong. Mine works out to about 5 or 600 on deer, doubt you can shoot your bow that far ;)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

tzimm007

FNG
I don't know how much it's on sale for or much about that particular model. I just bought a sig kilo 2000 on eBay for 340. It says it will rain reflective to 3000 which I believe to be untrue but it also says it will range trees to 1500 and animals to 1200. I have ranged trees with mine at 1300 and animals to 700. It has a little display that dams and brightens with current light conditions which was a big deal to me upgrading from my Nikon archers choice with no little display it was nearly impossible to read at dusk and dawn. Not trying to bash vortex I think they're great products and have several of their scopes. After a considerable amount of research I opted for the kilo. IMHO just another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thoughts on the Vortex rangefinder, guys? This RF is on sale and I am in need of a new one. Usage will be for archery 90% of the time.

Thank you.
Hated mine. I recommend you look elsewhere

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tzimm007

FNG
I don't know how much it's on sale for or much about that particular model. I just bought a sig kilo 2000 on eBay for 340. It says it will range reflective to 3000 which I believe to be untrue but it also says it will range trees to 1500 and animals to 1200. I have ranged trees with mine at 1300 and animals to 700. It has a lit display that dim and brightens with current light conditions which was a big deal to me upgrading from my Nikon archers choice with no lit display it was nearly impossible to read at dusk and dawn. Not trying to bash vortex I think they're great products and have several of their scopes. After a considerable amount of research I opted for the kilo. IMHO just another option.

OP
Y

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not set on a brand but would need to stay in the $300-350 range if I can.

realunlucky - care to expand on what you hated about it and what you ended up with?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not set on a brand but would need to stay in the $300-350 range if I can.

realunlucky - care to expand on what you hated about it and what you ended up with?
It's slow... Hated the triple button push once turn on once bring up aim and again for a reading. I'll give you one example that sealed it's fate.
Alaska caribou hunt 2015 my partner and I both had the ranger 1000. On his caribou we set up and both pushed the button like what felt like 200 times before his finally spit a number out mine never did. I actually threw mine in disgust luckily the tundra is a sponge and it bounced and landed in like new condition only used on one trip ready for the next guy at a healthy discount. I'm now running a leica 1000r and my partner is running a sig.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Get the Sig Kilo 2k, much better unit for the same money. I had a vortex and it isn't even close to what the Sig is.

The vortex is slower to read, doesn't provide a reading way more often and isn't consistent. I usually would see a 3 yard variation when ranging the same item repeatedly.

The Sig is super lightening fast, consistent and ranges closer and further then the vortex.

OP
Y

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
It's slow... Hated the triple button push once turn on once bring up aim and again for a reading. I'll give you one example that sealed it's fate.
Alaska caribou hunt 2015 my partner and I both had the ranger 1000. On his caribou we set up and both pushed the button like what felt like 200 times before his finally spit a number out mine never did. I actually threw mine in disgust luckily the tundra is a sponge and it bounced and landed in like new condition only used on one trip ready for the next guy at a healthy discount. I'm now running a leica 1000r and my partner is running a sig.

Ouch. Even my sub $100 Simmons hasn't done that. I'll look into the other suggested units.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
In fairness it did range a bou at 453 and the tundra doesn't reflect all that well but hunting time is way to short to second guess if equipment will function properly so I didn't hesitate to go with another company

excaliber

WKR
I just sold my Ranger 1000 and bought a new Sig Kilo 2200. For archery hunting the Ranger 1000 will work fine. It's a bit slow trying to get yardage as you have to press it a couple times. It would range flat surfaces out to 700 yards or so and 550 on Deer.

For archery hunting it should be fine as long as you have the patience knowing it will take a second or two to get an actual reading. The optics were OK for the intended purpose. Vortex needs to address the ranging speed as I feel it needs to be sped up.

Tex68w

WKR
I've had mine for about three years now. It's not terrible but like others have said it could be better. I had a Leica 1600 prior to it and it got stolen but it was a much better unit. I will likely replace mine before my hunts this fall and I'll be looking at the Sig Kilo and Leica.

OP
Y

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the help. I've known the Sig brand but not in the RF category but from what I've read overnight they seem to be pretty legit units. Cabelas has great deals on the 850($149) and 1250 ($229) so I may stop by there and check them out. Leaning towards the 1250 as it has the 6x magnification a few other bits like twisty eye cups.

Appreciate the responses, wasn't sure what traffic my post would get in the "off season"!

Thank you all for the help. I've known the Sig brand but not in the RF category but from what I've read overnight they seem to be pretty legit units. Cabelas has great deals on the 850($149) and 1250 ($229) so I may stop by there and check them out. Leaning towards the 1250 as it has the 6x magnification a few other bits like twisty eye cups.

Appreciate the responses, wasn't sure what traffic my post would get in the "off season"!

There is no off season, just ask me wife. :cool:

dotman

WKR

Neither of these will compare to the Sig Kilo 2k, keep that in mind.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Neither of these will compare to the Sig Kilo 2k, keep that in mind.
How so? Just in terms of distance it will range or is faster, more accurate, ect? I was also looking at the vortex 1000 cause I like the warranty and the red display.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
How so? Just in terms of distance it will range or is faster, more accurate, ect? I was also looking at the vortex 1000 cause I like the warranty and the red display.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Distance and speed, once you use the kilo 2k and see just how fast it is I couldn't go back to a slower model. Not sure about consistency of the lower priced sig models but I would think they would be better then the vortex.

The sig Kilo 2k has been replaced by the 2200 and was being sold for $349 everywhere. Swfa has it for $349 still Buy Sig Sauer 7x25 KILO2000 Laser Rangefinders at SWFA.com