Vortex ranger 1000

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the leica 1600b and vortex ranger 1000 rangefinders. Never was happy with the glass in my leupold rx 1000. I want one that will do angle compensation past 60 yds(leupold wouldn't) I got a smokin deal on a swaro but no angle compensation. So how is the glass between the two? Do thru both have red illuminated displays? Do they both work good for bow and rifle?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just picked up the Vortex 1000 for archery after using OBP's at the Bogus Challenge this June. I will say we used it for pretty steep angled shots right around 60. There was some farther shots (80 yrds) but not as steep of an angle. It was correct though on all the shots because we all hit the target. I cannot comment on the comparison of the glass on the two because I have only used the Vortex. It has adjustable brightness red illuminated displays, which is nice. I have been playing with it at home and I ranged the wood face of a barn at 864 yards with no problems. I would imagine that it would work well for both archery & rifle. I hope that helps as it is first hand experience with it.

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
I have the vortex also. Like Brock said I havent compared the glass between the 2 it did have a better image then my cousins Leopold, but The vortex its pretty sweet, I used it golfing last weekend and if I was steady enough I could pick up the flags on every hole ( kind of a skinny object to hit) but seemed accurate enough with each hole. during spring bear I ranged a elk at around 970 yds no problem... Worthy of the 350$ or so I'd say!

Shrek

WKR
The leica 1600b is a much more sophisticated instrument. It incorporates temperature and barometric pressure along with angle when calculating compensation. It also has a 24mm lens at 7x vs a 22mm lens at 6x. It will also range to over half again the distance. I don't own either but going from spec's and reputation I don't think the vortex is in the same league. For most people's use it probably doesn't matter though. Until you start going past 500 yards shooting the extra abilities in the leica will not make a meaningful difference on deer sized game.

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I read where the leica doesn't work inside bow ranges but can't find it now. Need some computer time

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both. I own the Leica, I'm a big fan of vortex optics and their warranty, the ranger is one piece of equipment I would skip though. I had a few people return them that were not happy with them, the two range finders you listed are not even in the same ballpark however, I think the Ranger is a decent unit for the cost, but it doesn't compare to the leica at all. It would be like comparing an old bushnel 400 yard pro to a RX-1000 (okay maybe not THAT substantial)

AGPank

WKR
I just got my vortex ranger 1000. I have an older Leica crf 800 too. I decided I wanted a model with angle compensation and easier to use with one hand. I was really trying to decide between the vortex and leupold models. I've read great things about the leupold and my friend just bought one. I liked the size but the display seemed busy. Optically I was pleased, not it isn't going to replace binoculars.

I decided to go with the ranger because I found a great price and I've been pleased with my other vortex products. Optically it is an improvement over the older Leica model. Both had a clear image, but the newer vortex had a brighter image and better color. I'm sure it's not fair to compare against the older model. Both ranged exactly the same at archery ranges up to 80 yards. I had a 3 yard difference between the two at 157-160 yards, not sure which was off. At more than 80 within a couple yards is fine.

I mostly archery hunt now so wouldn't have much use for some of the advance features of the Leica.

weaver

WKR
Had a rx1000...wanted angle comp so i sold it and bought a vortex. Did not care for it at all so i sold that one and now have a rx1000tbr. Very happy with it. I didnt notice any difference in glass quality but didnt compare them side by side either.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ranger 1000. I got a great deal on it from Paul (aka Elknut).I have to say thanks to Paul. He is a great guy to deal with and gave me first class customer service. I also owe a thanks to everyone here that recomended him to me. Thanks!:) I have no regrets getting the ranger as that was in my budget range at the time and i feel it is a good unit for the money. That said, i have had problems ranging anything past 500 yds reliably in bright sunlight. In the morning or evening or when the sky is overcast, i have had no problems ranging to 1300 yds. I compared the leica and the vortex side by side before i bought the ranger and i liked the optics of the leica better. I liked the extra magnification of the leica better although i didn't really notice much difference in clarity between the two. (in store comparison) The fetures of the leica are definately in a different league than the vortex and i would have bought the leica if i had the money at the time. If the laser in the leica is anything like the laser in thier binos then the leica would likely spank the vortex. One thing i did find interesting is that comparing the leica, vortex, and swarovski in the store, i found that all three gave different range readings from each other.

The Leica 1600B does not angle comp under 100 yards from what I could decipher. However, Leica has a new RF out this year, the 1000-R which does and would be the comparable to the Leupy 1000i (current model) and the Vortex Ranger 1000.

I have the ranger 1000. I got a great deal on it from Paul (aka Elknut).I have to say thanks to Paul. He is a great guy to deal with and gave me first class customer service. I also owe a thanks to everyone here that recomended him to me. Thanks!:)

x2 !!

I am very happy with my Leupold RX 1000i tbr dna. Had a two friends both get the vortex last fall and both broke in the first month. Vortex fixed them or course but they didn't have rangefinders while they were being fixed