Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65mm pics

Thanks again for the feedback. I either backpack, or use horses to get into remote camp, then day hunt from there. Have you had the 65 long enough to see what you lose verses the 85?

ElkNut1

WKR
It's no secret that most US products are produced overseas these days, there's no getting around it because of cost purposes! We can take them or leave them but we all have them in our homes whether we realize it or not. (grin) Because Vortex has chosen to have some of their Optics produced in China does not lessen their value or construction. There are Vortex reps there that oversee the entire production of their Optics, they have hands on control over all things happening & do produce a very solid optic that is used by thousands of us. They could not afford to give the best warranty in the business by producing inferior products. If you've looked through & felt these Spotters you would know they are pretty darned sweet Optics.
This info was shared with me straight from Vortex.

Their pricing & quality combined is very tough to beat in todays optic world.

ElkNut1

stephen b

WKR
Do not want to get into any wars on the overseas manufacturing thing- ex. China. But... that being said-I am more experienced with bino's and I am not a huge fan of China made bino's- that is just me and my opinion- and you know what those are worth :D So, as for these Vortex spotters that are their top of the line moving from Japan to China- I was surprised, and frankly it turned me from them- right wrong, or indifferent. I was in the final stage of ordering one of these new Razor's 2 months ago, and again a few weeks ago. This was going to be my first purchase of a real quality spotting scope. I had top quality bino's, but never a great spotter. When I first heard they were waiting on shipment from China- I thought and said- "What!?". The lady from EO said yes- China. I confirmed with Vortex and said why are these made in China. Well, I thought they were Japan like the 85's. And the rep from Vortex said - "Well all of them are going to be made in China- including the 85's". BTW-, and I found this interesting- he then went on to say that he personally did not like it ( that they were being made in China) and then he said that he thought that it could turn out to bite them when the word got out on some forums. I found that candid and direct.

I personally think Vortex is a great company, and have had optics from them in the past. But, what I have had has been Japan made. Japan has been known for years and years as making fine camera's and optics and their QC is top notch in most of the good companies. Vortex still has their Viper and Razor bino's made in Japan. So.. why move their top of the line spotter now to China. I do not know, and can only guess- but I can only guess costs are a factor in it. I almost again went through and ordered one of these 50mm Razors- but it just bugged me that they were made in China, and maybe out of spite, I decided not to. I instead have decided on a Nikon Fieldscope in a 60mm ED version that has been made forever in the same spot in Japan. I know it is not USA, but it is tried and true. Figure I would go with what I knew. My thoughts over time may change, but I am not "there" yet, at this time.

As far as a secondary light weight 50mm backpack one- I almost would rather buy a possibly optically inferior one made from right here in Oregon (Leupold GR) than one that is almost twice as much made in China.

BTW- As far as cost savings for Vortex; I see that the 85 mm spotters that are now made in China cost the same as the 85's that were made in Japan. So the cost saving does not go to current buyers. I know it is slightly different ( but maybe not that much, if you want to compete at big boy level)- but, can you even imagine if the big 3 (Zeiss, Leica and Swarov.) moved their production to China instead of Europe, and.... then kept there prices the same as before and did not really say much about it. Or even if Nikon did the same, or Kowa on their top notch stuff. I think the loyal followers of those brands would have a bit to say. Maybe since Vortex is one of the newer players- it may not matter- but you can bet if it was one of the big 3- it would be an issue.

And, right or wrong- it was an issue for me ( a past and almost current Vortex optics buyer ) when buying my first real quality spotter. But, I am just one- and it most probably in the scheme of things for them makes no difference.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The country of origin thing comes up a lot.

Many companies, including Zeiss, Nikon, and Kowa, are producing some of their products in China, including some of the higher end stuff.

I would guess the original Razor 85s probably sourced much of their components from China as well, and received assembly and QC in Japan.

Many very famous "Made in America" and "Made in Germany" optics have components sourced from China as well.

The trend for traditionally Japanese-based companies (Like Nikon, Kowa, etc.) is to move their own quality control to Chinese areas for the business advantages.

I don't like it either, and I am not going to fault anybody for avoiding a product because of political motivations. That is reasonable to me.

However, I have spent a few weeks with the Razor 65, and it is an awesome scope. Regardless of where the assembly plant is, it competes with the "BIGs" when it comes to 65mm ED spotters.

stephen b

WKR
Glad to hear the optics are great- I would have bet that they probably would be.

I hope that Vortex knocks it out of the park with these new spotters; they are a good company and very nice people to deal with as well.

ElkNut1

WKR
Matt, great info that you have shared! I agree that the Razor HD Spotters are top shelf glass, I continue to be impressed the more I play with them.

ElkNut1

any thoughts, ill be ordering a vortex 65 or 85 spotter soon. dont want to be bummed. have not used any spotter befor hunting so im pumped to use one. i always wish i have one so dropping the bomb... have the outdoorsman medium tri pod with outdoorsman pan head already, arrived yesterday. now it needs a spotter. i know this subjects blown up but just want to be proud of my purchase and know i made the right choice.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Spent yesterday afternoon and evening glassing with the Razor 65HD. What a great value this spotter represents! Nice and sharp right up to 48x. It fits in the pack pretty slickly with that small objective.

to be honest in cabelas with the swaro set up next to the vortex the swaro was i would say 5-10% more crisp, thats in the store at the same object 100 yards away, but a thousand dollars better? with saying that the swaro was the 65 the vortex 85mm. interesting. i have the 85 vortex at home and glassed from 20 yards to 1000 yards, then up to 20 miles away at the mountains and clear cuts. i feel the vortex is well made and has by no means a troubled weight for packing long distance. i have the outdoorsman medium tri pod and outdoorsman pan head. if you feel the 1 pound is a deal breaker for the 85 over 65 you really need more gym time, or well.......... i feel the 85 dropped clarity at 45 power it became somewhat grainy and i wanted more. thinking about upgrading while i can, bought from cabelas its a 90 day return policy. ill try it again in first light tomarrow but perhaps its my lack of experience with spotters that lead me to this. even at low power my leupold cascade binos popped more color and vivid image. perhaps i have a dud......................