Vortex Razor HD 3-15x42 vs. Leupold VX5 3-15x44

Devilfish

FNG
I've narrowed my choices to either the Leupold HD 3-15x44 or the Vortex HD 3-15x44 for my new 6.5-300 Weatherby lightweight rifle. Both are almost identical in size, weight, travel. The warranty and support is top notch from both companies also. My price is very close to the same for either one.

I'm looking for input from anyone with experience with one or both of these. My rifle is going to be exclusively for hunting out to a personal maximum of 600 yards. But if someone uses one for ringing steel, or varmint shooting I'd welcome any information about that also. Thanks in advance.

Subscribing to this. Have been considering several
Options for a new build including the two you mentioned. Have been leaning towards the VX5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bater

WKR
I’ve owned both and now only have the LHT’s left, lots of them. The VX5 initially checked all my boxes until it wouldn’t return to zero, a problem I’ve encountered with more than a few Leupolds. The LHT is as close the the perfect lightweight yet long range capable scope I’ve found. At times I find myself favoring it to some of my scopes costing 3x the $

I’ve owned both and now only have the LHT’s left, lots of them. The VX5 initially checked all my boxes until it wouldn’t return to zero, a problem I’ve encountered with more than a few Leupolds. The LHT is as close the the perfect lightweight yet long range capable scope I’ve found. At times I find myself favoring it to some of my scopes costing 3x the $

Is the LHT a 1” tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Add the zeiss v4 to your list. Then pick pick reticle you like the most and go to town. The lht is a nice scope but I hate the reticle options so I have mine on a plinker, I had an issue with the 50mm europtic version so vortex replaced it with the 42mm

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bater

WKR
Add the zeiss v4 to your list. Then pick pick reticle you like the most and go to town. The lht is a nice scope but I hate the reticle options so I have mine on a plinker, I had an issue with the 50mm europtic version so vortex replaced it with the 42mm

Agreed, the V4 is another good option though I slightly prefer the LHT’s reticle and overall design. To each their own

JakeSCH

WKR
I run both scopes, very similar and it comes down to personal preference. VX5 has better glass and I like the locking turret better...LHT wins hands down on reticle. I also have the v4, very good scope but 3 oz heavier.

LHT magnification lever is very stiff, borderline annoying.

You cannot go wrong with either.

Bater

WKR
I would trust is Swarovski about as much as a Leupold for dialing…

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider

I would agree this assessment - the LHT is a heck of a hunting scope in a lightweight package. I'm more impressed with it then I thought I would be. I just wish they would do a knob style illumination over the button, which feels real mushy.

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
Have a couple of the LHTs, they have been spot on with tracking. The view in my opinion is very good and bright. The other scope i would consider is the v4 although they are heavier if I remember correctly.

amassi

WKR
Have a couple of the LHTs, they have been spot on with tracking. The view in my opinion is very good and bright. The other scope i would consider is the v4 although they are heavier if I remember correctly.
2 oz heavier

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had both and stuck with the vx5. I have the htmr reticle. I liked the locking turret better and just couldn’t get with the lht reticle. Glass is good in both but I believe the vx5 has a bigger fov.

OP
Devilfish

Devilfish

FNG
I would agree this assessment - the LHT is a heck of a hunting scope in a lightweight package. I'm more impressed with it then I thought I would be. I just wish they would do a knob style illumination over the button, which feels real mushy.
I've been checking out both the Leupold VX5 and the Vortex Razor LHT at work. The magnification dial on the LHT is very stiff to move, and I like the reticle on the Leupold a bit better. But that's not a deal breaker, the fact that I do dial the elevation knob and the Leupold may or may not return to zero is a deal breaker. I'm also seeing a lot of very positive reviews on the LHT. The best warranty in the world doesn't matter if your scope goes South in the middle of a hunting trip. I'm going with the LHT. Next big decision is to use MOA as I've done all my life, or switch to MIL as was suggested by a very experienced marksmanship instructor.

JakeSCH

WKR
I've been checking out both the Leupold VX5 and the Vortex Razor LHT at work. The magnification dial on the LHT is very stiff to move, and I like the reticle on the Leupold a bit better. But that's not a deal breaker, the fact that I do dial the elevation knob and the Leupold may or may not return to zero is a deal breaker. I'm also seeing a lot of very positive reviews on the LHT. The best warranty in the world doesn't matter if your scope goes South in the middle of a hunting trip. I'm going with the LHT. Next big decision is to use MOA as I've done all my life, or switch to MIL as was suggested by a very experienced marksmanship instructor.

People play up MOA vs MIL to much in my opinion. They key is understanding the system and utilizing it...no different than English vs Metric. If you are utilizing ballistic calculation software it even matters less.

Essentially it doesn't matter, but it is definitely easier to be consistent across all rifles...Now you are going to an instructor who only teaches in MILs and you learn that way...then stick with it.

bradb

WKR
I agree with JakeSCH would also add if you have an intention of shooting certain competitions pick what they generally use. So F class benchrest MOA, Prs or tactical Mil. Those are a bit general statements but hold pretty true

OP
Devilfish

Devilfish

FNG
People play up MOA vs MIL to much in my opinion. They key is understanding the system and utilizing it...no different than English vs Metric. If you are utilizing ballistic calculation software it even matters less.

Essentially it doesn't matter, but it is definitely easier to be consistent across all rifles...Now you are going to an instructor who only teaches in MILs and you learn that way...then stick with it.
Good point. I'm much more comfortable with the MOA system, especially since the rifle I'll be using it on won't be used on any game animal much past 500yds if that. It's an extremely flat shooting 6.5-300. The instructor is a personal friend, and very very good at what he does, but he's also used to my using a 338 Edge or 300WM for long distance hunting. I'll just stick with what I've been successful with for decades already.