Vortex Razor HD 3-15x42 vs. Leupold VX5 3-15x44

bradb

WKR
The distance, and what your shooting is irrelevant as to which you choose.
If your going to shoot with him a lot it may be best to go with what he uses

davsco

WKR
i'd like the 50mm version just for a little more light, but it's only in mil, and worse, bdc. just haven't found a bdc reticle yet that lines up with my dope.

i guess it's a simple math/physics exercise, but does the 42 objective have noticeably less light transmission? hate to have that elk in the crosshairs at 29 minutes past sundown and not be able to see him good enough to take the shot...

OP
Devilfish

Devilfish

FNG
The distance, and what your shooting is irrelevant as to which you choose.
If your going to shoot with him a lot it may be best to go with what he uses
Actually the distance is totally relevant to his suggestion. I'll be using the scope for a 600yd maximum on caribou or goat with a flat shooting Magnum cartridge.

His reasoning is that the MRAD is much easier to memorize vs MOA. He's a Tactical Marksmanship Instructor, and the vast majority of his students are using a 7.62 NATO, and firing from close to extreme ranges. It's a discipline that also favors FFP over SFP for fast ranging with the reticle. Some tactical competitions won't allow you to dial the knobs.

OP
Devilfish

Devilfish

FNG
i'd like the 50mm version just for a little more light, but it's only in mil, and worse, bdc. just haven't found a bdc reticle yet that lines up with my dope.

i guess it's a simple math/physics exercise, but does the 42 objective have noticeably less light transmission? hate to have that elk in the crosshairs at 29 minutes past sundown and not be able to see him good enough to take the shot...
I honestly don't think I would be able to tell the difference in light transmission with identical scopes, and one has a 50mm objective vs a 42mm on the other. Up here in Alaska there's no rules about hunting hours for big game as long as you're not using an artificial light. Actual field conditions should dictate when you can ethically harvest an animal.

bradb

WKR
Again MOA or Mil is irrerelavant to the distance, both are a angular measurement. Just slicing it differently.

His reasoning as to what is easier I am not debating and knew from your post what he used and what type of stuff he shot. And I suggested using what he does if you will be shooting with him regularly. You have someone that knows a system good that can help you with that system go with that one. And I have both FFP and SFP, each has there points. FFP is for sure easier holding as its subtensions are consistent at all powers

I have owned a VX5 HD and sold it, as I was going to replace it with a different reticle VX5. Then I saw the new Razor LHT that peeked my interest. I have not had a chance see the Razor LHT in person but I do own 2 first gen. Razor HD & my real question would be how the glass compare in the new LHT to The 1st gen. Razor.( IMHO I prefer the glass in the 1st. gen Razor over the VX5HD).