Vortex Razor HD 50 vs Nikon ED50 vs Minox MD50

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
I need a new sewing machine project so I might get some 3mm neoprene and sew up some snug fitting stay-on protective cases for these scopes. Depending on how they turn out maybe I can make a few for those who are interested. The Vortex cover is great for general travel storage but not all that practical for use in the field. But like Matt said, why use a full on case in the first place? It already has rubber lens covers (a pro over the nikon), so all you're really protecting is the finish which is very rugged already. Besides with the Vortex warranty, dropping and breaking it just means you get a new scope!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Steve,

I have the MCII and the ED50.

I see them come up online occasionally.

I do wish they were more available.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
For anyone interested, the 27x wa eyepiece is available at Sinclair international. (1 left)

I'm not finding it, you got a link Travis? Also is this eyepiece digiscoping friendly, and how does it perform in low light compared to the MC at 27x?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not finding it, you got a link Travis? Also is this eyepiece digiscoping friendly, and how does it perform in low light compared to the MC at 27x?

Todd,

The 27x comes in both a digiscoping (DS) and observation (MC) version. It is much wider, and a little sharper than the MC zoom, but not much brighter, according to a knowledgeable friend that has one. They seem to be about as prevalent as bigfoot though.

The exit pupil is a bit small for digiscoping with the 27x DS. The 16x DS give much better shutter speeds. I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds ... ;)

I mostly use the MCII at 13x for digiscoping with the ED50, and it works quite well also, and I can just leave it on the scope.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great break down video sir!!! Thanks for taking the time. I had a Nikon ED 50 on backorder with BH photo for $650, but canceled it to get a Vortex 50. I actually really like the little Minox I have, but just hard to hang on to too many optics. So the little Minox is going on the chopping block for $200 shipped now. That'll help ease the pain of the Vortex. :D

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Todd,

The 27x comes in both a digiscoping (DS) and observation (MC) version. It is much wider, and a little sharper than the MC zoom, but not much brighter, according to a knowledgeable friend that has one. They seem to be about as prevalent as bigfoot though.

The exit pupil is a bit small for digiscoping with the 27x DS. The 16x DS give much better shutter speeds. I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds ... ;)

I mostly use the MCII at 13x for digiscoping with the ED50, and it works quite well also, and I can just leave it on the scope.

Thanks, good info. I had a 16x DS a while back, I sold it though. Good price on yours, I got $185 for mine on ebay.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Great break down video sir!!! Thanks for taking the time. I had a Nikon ED 50 on backorder with BH photo for $650, but canceled it to get a Vortex 50. I actually really like the little Minox I have, but just hard to hang on to too many optics. So the little Minox is going on the chopping block for $200 shipped now. That'll help ease the pain of the Vortex. :D

Thanks Luke! The pain will be eased the second you look through it. It's leaps and bounds above the Minox as I'm sure you are anticipating. Smart move on ditching the backordered ED50, especially when you are most likely paying less than the $650 for the better Vortex scope!

Steve,

I have the MCII and the ED50.

I see them come up online occasionally.

I do wish they were more available.

I haven't seen one show up for over a year, Not really sure why Nikon doesn't have that as an option anymore. The 40x magnification and better lens coatings on the the MCII zoom is well worth it.

Manosteel

WKR
Great review! I have been droiling over the ED50 for the last few years but, other gear priorities have always taken its place on the must buy list. Now with the Razor out, maybe I will have a choice to make next year when I upgrade the scope I have.

Great Video Todd......I talked with Vortex at the ATA show and they are working on a higher magnification eyepeice for the 50mm that will come out next year. That will be awesome!

I agree, thanks for the video.

Question on the other eyepeice...does the current model have a removable eyepeice? I keep reading it doesn't....if not, what is the plan for the higher magnification? Also, isn't 33x about max magnification for a 50mm?

Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned

Question on the other eyepeice...does the current model have a removable eyepeice?

The eyepiece IS removable, so any alternate options to come out in the future should be perfectly compatible. Now that I think of it, the thread design on both models looked really similar... I'll (very carefully) see if I can screw the Nikon eyepiece into the Vortex... wouldn't that be something?

Question on the other eyepeice...does the current model have a removable eyepeice? I keep reading it doesn't....if not, what is the plan for the higher magnification? Also, isn't 33x about max magnification for a 50mm?

If I remember right we talked about a 40x, that is what the MCII zoom does on a ED50 13-40.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen one show up for over a year, Not really sure why Nikon doesn't have that as an option anymore. The 40x magnification and better lens coatings on the the MCII zoom is well worth it.

Steve,

Just a thought if you are looking. If you already have an ED50 with the 13-30 MC, you could buy one of the several Fieldscopes on eBay with the MCII, swap eyepieces, and sell the 60mm scope with the MC eyepiece. It would be a bit of a gamble, but you might make out with a MCII eyepiece for pretty cheap in the end.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Since we've moved onto eyepieces, here is a side by side with the MC. Quite a difference as you can see.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg