Vortex Razor HD 50 vs Nikon ED50 vs Minox MD50

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Bitterroot- Last year I did your idea and took the MCII off my 65ED and bought a 50ED body. My setup is awesome, and I love the performance of the 50ED with the MCII.

Then I purchased the MC 15x-30x eyepiece (or 20x45 on the 65mm) and put it on the 65ED to sale. This spotter is still for sale. I'm only asking $750. Not many interested buyers...I don't recommend that gamble. I basically own a +$700 50ED.

Yikes VANDAL.

That sucks big time. Have you considered pushing your luck with an auction on eBay?

Another gamble...

stephen b

WKR
Bitterroot- Last year I did your idea and took the MCII off my 65ED and bought a 50ED body. My setup is awesome, and I love the performance of the 50ED with the MCII.

Then I purchased the MC 15x-30x eyepiece (or 20x45 on the 65mm) and put it on the 65ED to sale. This spotter is still for sale. I'm only asking $750. Not many interested buyers...I don't recommend that gamble. I basically own a +$700 50ED.

I think $700 is a good price for an ED50 with the MCII eyepiece on it. In fact I would buy a $700 ED50 with that MCII eyepiece if it was in good shape.

dotman

WKR
I think $700 is a good price for an ED50 with the MCII eyepiece on it. In fact I would buy a $700 ED50 with that MCII eyepiece if it was in good shape.

Pretty sure he is saying he is $1400 into a $700 spotter. So woud you pay $1400 for that setup?

VANDAL

WKR
I've never sold anything on ebay but I think that will be my next move...just been trying to sell it locally and on MM.

Here's where I'm at:
Nikon 65ED body and MCII eyepiece: $850 (bought used, but Nikon warranty replaced with a new setup)
Nikon 50ED body: $350
Nikon MC 13x30 eyepiece: $200
Total cost: $1400

If I can sell the 65ED with the MC eyepiece for $750 (which I still think is a good deal) I'll be into my 50ED + MCII setup for $650. Not too bad, I just thot that it would sell quicker to re-coop my money.

VANDAL

WKR
...and 2 of the 3 items were bought from BigSurArcher, before we knew who each other were on Rokslide...small world :)

The mirage effect is at the longer distances such as 2 mile plus. It's not noticed hardly at all at a mile or under. The mirage effect comes into play on the extreme hot & sunny days. I've looked through quite a few spotters over the years & I've seen this on every one of them when conditions are right for it. This mirage/abberation is the heat waves coming off the earths surface, the image doesn't appear grainy but obscured instead as these heat waves dance around. I have looked through Nikon Spotters & they have it too, although I have not used an ED50 but would speculate it's there. (grin)

ElkNut1

I don't know that i've tested the nikon that far in the right conditions to have to back off but i will be using both the ed50 and kowa 66 lots going forward so i'll be able to comment on how they do at 40x and bigger distances to see how they fair and no i didn't throw the nikon up when i looked at the swaro's 65 hd's/kowa 66 at the sign over mile away to see how mirage compared as i had the condition on the the swaro's and kowa but the kowa was more resistant to me and reminded me very much of my nikon in most respects including its ability to fight mirage. Eventually i'll get the swaro's together again with the two ed glass spotters i own and give em a much tougher testing at further distance and other conditions specifically looking for mirage and other conditions/distortions etc. i'm learning to look for (thanks Matt ;) ). I know one thing, if i want to read wind like a champ i'll get a swaro ha ha.

stephen b

WKR
Sounds like it is not too bad if you wanted to keep both at those prices. If you did not want to keep both that can be a different story.

$1400 for two nice spotters with interchangeable eyepieces that both have good optics is not too shabby.

If you want to go back to square one and sell the bigger Nikon scope with the MCII eyepiece for $850, then I could maybe help you out there. :D

Wrongside

WKR
I've got a Razor HD50 on the way. Pretty excited to have it for at least part of the spring bear season and looking forward to doing some comparisons with friend's ED50s.

Well, it showed up today.

I do not have anywhere near the experience with high-end optics that many of you have and I've only played with it around the house so far, but I'm really pleased with this little scope so far. Very good overall view, for such a compact package.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it showed up today.

I do not have anywhere near the experience with high-end optics that many of you have and I've only played with it around the house so far, but I'm really pleased with this little scope so far. Very good overall view, for such a compact package.

It does look like a nice little scope for sure, pretty impressed! Cant wait to check it out on a decent day, or at least a day when the snow isn't flying.

Sunspot

WKR
Thanks for the comparison! I've been eyeing the Nikon ED50 for a couple of years now, and have tried a buddy's out. I liked it, but didn't have my 15's along at the time to see how beneficial it would be. I normally pack 15x56's along for glassing, but sometimes want a little bit more power. Usually when the buck or bull is quite a ways out there. I've used cheaper 60-65mm scopes and I could make out more detail with my 15's than the cheaper scopes on 30-40 power. They tended to get too dark, or heat waves would be too bad for good clarity.

My fear is that with going with a 50mm scope, I won't really buy much above and beyond what my 15's can make out. I'd love to go with a 65 or 80mm scope, but I have a feeling it wouldn't make it in my pack very often due to weight. I'll be curious to hear what your thoughts are (or will be) in using the 50mm scope in conjunction with the 15x56's. The new 50mm Razer definitely has my interest.

Ron
Hey Ron this is Kevin in LV. Do yourself a favor and look at Kowa if you are looking for a 65-66mm spotter.

thoughts on this versus the 65 or 85mm, will be buying one in the next couple days..... i feel the 85 would be heavy but would love the ability to crank up the power. if you could have one wich size, anyone?.......

OR Archer

WKR
Our Vortex rep came by today and had the new 50mm spotter with him. I was very very impressed with this little piece of glass. I previously had an ED50. I feel the ED50 is a great piece of glass but the new Vortex is better in my opinion. Ill be buying one before I head back to Colorado for sure.

rodney482

WKR
thoughts on this versus the 65 or 85mm, will be buying one in the next couple days..... i feel the 85 would be heavy but would love the ability to crank up the power. if you could have one wich size, anyone?.......

Because of size and weight I will actually use this spotter in the field

wich one will you use? the 85? or were you replying towards the 50? i honestly would not bother with the 50 it really is not much more than a high power rifle scope but then again i really would not know because ive never used one.....

ElkNut1

WKR
If a guy can afford one spotter in the Vortex line the 65mm would be a great choice as it can function as a road or pack in Spotter. If two are in the budget then the 50mm for packing & 85mm for the roads or not too far from them for me. That 50mm is pretty darned good & much better than using a riflescope for picking the country apart. A riflescope is fine for seeing the obvious but for finding animals with hours of use it wouldn't work out too well.

ElkNut1

Rizzy

WKR
I have the Minox Ed50 and side by side it is not much more glass than my 10x42 conquests binos. If vortex comes out with a 40x eyepiece, then the dilema between the 50mm and 65mm will get that much harder...lol
In my experiance with the minox so far 50mm is not enough glass to pick a hillside apart or do any decent digiscoping, but you can judge antlers from across a canyon and that is really all you need sometimes. 50mm scopes are great for hunting season when you are in a area you have scouted, they are light, compact, and get the job done. My next scope will probably be an 80mm to use for scouting ;)

i agree, i rarely use a rifle to hunt period... i will in august for a high alpine bear that was my grandpas for a personal reason but ya i would not use a rifle scope to glass.

rodney482

WKR
I
wich one will you use? the 85? or were you replying towards the 50? i honestly would not bother with the 50 it really is not much more than a high power rifle scope but then again i really would not know because ive never used one.....

I have owned multiple spotters including 80mm swaro.

I almost never took them because of size and weight.

When you glass for hours you dont want to use a rifle scope.

went 85, im strong and want more light abilities.... the extra pound really is not a issue if so to ones hunt then just be stronger or train harder. just my style, thanx for the replys though.....