Vortex Razor HD 85mm Spotter issues

GShaw

FNG
So I recently picked up a new 2017 Vortex Razor HD 85mm spotter and a new PhoneScope kit for my iPhone. Anyone else have the issue of the eye relief being too weak to support the adapter? The relief is so weak when I put my eye to the spotter, it goes back to flush with little pressure. Not sure if this is a defect or if it supposed to be like that. I end up having to mount the adapter to it upside down and to the left side of the spotter to keep the eye relief extended. Thanks in advance!

dotman

WKR
You shouldn't have to extend the eye cup out, it should be flush. You put your phone and adapter on the eye piece, zoom in with your phone so there is no black ring and then focus with the scope. The more you zoom the spotter the more you zoom the phone.

dotman

WKR
Interesting, I've had many setups and for camera digiscoping all wanted to be as close to the eyepiece glass as they could get. I haven't heard of anyone else doing what you do but that doesn't mean much as people really only talk about equipment not technique.

On my Gen 1 Razor I had the eye cup would go in if too much pressure was applied, I never put much pressure on any of my eyecups though. Your setup may just weigh too much to do this but also with not being there I can't say your spotter doesn't have an issue and may need the eyecups fixed.

LaHunter

WKR
The eyepiece should not go in flush that easy. I had the Razor HD 65 mm for about 3 years and mine never did that. There needs to be some resistance to turning and going in flush.
I actually like to 'lightly anchor' my eye brow area on the top part of the eye piece to help reduce sight picture movement.

I would recommend giving Vortex a call about it.