Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 FFP Scope

KHNC

WKR
Ok, So i decided to start a new thread regarding the Vortex Razor AMG scope. There seems to be confusion on whether or not this scope is entirely made in the USA. The answer is 100% yes! Including the glass. No japanese, chinese or any other countries components are used on this. EDIT: I have just found out the reticle is now made in Germany. Originally US made reticle. This has been completely verified. Evidently many are under the assumption the glass is made in another country, that the good ol USA is not capable of making quality glass. Please, check it out for yourself. This is a very fine riflescope, on par with NightForce, S&B, Kahles or any brand you care to compare it to.
Just posting to clarify with facts.

https://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/razor-hd-amg/razor-hd-amg-6-24x-50.html?vortex_reticle=240

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/
Just some additional info on Vortex use.

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/mixed-reports-on-vortex-razor-amg-rifle-scope.6903420/

Reviews and opinions on AMG line

Last edited:
OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
This thread should be a shit storm shortly. You should know on this site only two scopes can track reliably, all others are time bombs waiting to fail. Tagging in for the comments.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
True. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many PRS competitors as other sites. that is why I posted a couple of additional links for people wanting facts instead of skewed opinions. This post isn't about low end vortex optics, it is about a very high end product that continues to be lumped in with the rest, even though most doing it have no idea what they are talking about on the AMG.

bradb

WKR
Actually the reticle is made in Germany the rest of it is in the USA. Originally the reticle was USA

Just double checked with my buddy that is head of sales

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Actually the reticle is made in Germany the rest of it is in the USA. Originally the reticle was USA

Just double checked with my buddy that is head of sales
Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware it had been changed to Germany. I knew originally it was USA made.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
True. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many PRS competitors as other sites. that is why I posted a couple of additional links for people wanting facts instead of skewed opinions. This post isn't about low end vortex optics, it is about a very high end product that continues to be lumped in with the rest, even though most doing it have no idea what they are talking about on the AMG.
Very true..
I hear the same thing about Leupold not producing a scope that'll track, totally not true with the MK5 line.
I have two MK5's that I use for PRS and LR hunting, totally different league than the Leupold VX6 line, I'm sure the same applies to the Razor line from Vortex.
I'd love to give the AMG a try but it doesn't compete real well price wise to the MK5 or NX8

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I have a good friend who has a MK5 on a .300 Hart. It performs well.

This is a very fine riflescope, on par with NightForce, S&B, Kahles or any brand you care to compare it to.

I bought an AMG to put on my hunting rifle, then shot another rifle with my S&B 3-27. The AMG was like looking through a coke bottle compared to the 3-27. Maybe it's just my eyes, but I sold my AMG immediately after trying it out. I now run the 3-27 on my 28 Nosler long range hunting rifle, despite the weight.

I’ve had a couple of these but flipped them quick when they were in high demand. Nice scopes for sure, people familiar with them have been hoping for a slightly smaller/lighter 3-15+ version for years.

I haven’t seen where AMGs are disparaged here. At 28 ounces, 6x bottom end, and $2500 they just don’t fit the metrics of what lots of people ask about on rokslide.

Lots of good review's on MK5's. Jon Pynch using them on his PRS guns is a good endorsement IMO. That said, he did mention he had zero retention issues on a recent match.. Low round count barrel, everything checked out as being torqued, etc - if I was a betting man I'd put $ on it being a scope issue. One failure does not make a trend, Nightforce, S&B, Kahles, etc all have failures as well.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ve had a couple of these but flipped them quick when they were in high demand. Nice scopes for sure, people familiar with them have been hoping for a slightly smaller/lighter 3-15+ version for years.

I haven’t seen where AMGs are disparaged here. At 28 ounces, 6x bottom end, and $2500 they just don’t fit the metrics of what lots of people ask about on rokslide.

Lots of good review's on MK5's. Jon Pynch using them on his PRS guns is a good endorsement IMO. That said, he did mention he had zero retention issues on a recent match.. Low round count barrel, everything checked out as being torqued, etc - if I was a betting man I'd put $ on it being a scope issue. One failure does not make a trend, Nightforce, S&B, Kahles, etc all have failures as well.

A lot of people dismiss them because of the 6x on the bottom end, but in fact they have a wider FOV at 6x than just about any 5x scope and even some 4x and 4.5x scopes. I believe the 4-12x40 Leupold has the same FOV at 4x that the AMG has at 6x, and nobody would bat an eye at a 4-12 Leupy for hunting because of mag range.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I was worried the 6x on the low end would be too much, but after using one and seeing the FOV at 6x I wouldn't worry at all about it for my uses. I am hoping to pick one up before I go up to AK for caribou in a couple years. I would LOVE a 4-16 option though.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I bought an AMG to put on my hunting rifle, then shot another rifle with my S&B 3-27. The AMG was like looking through a coke bottle compared to the 3-27. Maybe it's just my eyes, but I sold my AMG immediately after trying it out. I now run the 3-27 on my 28 Nosler long range hunting rifle, despite the weight.
Well, that does sound a little unusual to me. That would be a very large variance on what most feel is a high clarity optic. Good luck with the S&B as well.