Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 20-60x85 vs Athlon Ares G2 20-60x85

I am looking for a spotting scope for an upcoming Wyoming mule deer hunt. These seem to be roughly the same price right now. I know the Athlon Ares is really good and punches above its price point. How does it compare to the Gen 1 Razor? Anyone used both and have an opinion?

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a spotting scope for an upcoming Wyoming mule deer hunt. These seem to be roughly the same price right now. I know the Athlon Ares is really good and punches above its price point. How does it compare to the Gen 1 Razor? Anyone used both and have an opinion?
Have any luck on a comparison?

TMCCOY

FNG
I was debating the same two spotting scopes leaning towards the Gen 1 Razor because of the fine focus knob. I went with the razor from Sportsman's because of the $720 price I got for BF pricing and abandoned cart invective.

I have a bit of buyers remorse as It isn't substantially better than an old Konus I have. The FOV is much wider, but the image quality is comparable. It is much more robust and better constructed, but I expected better image quality. Makes me wonder if a $400 scope would be a better value.

Those with more experience in optics, what information do you have as I debate keeping or returning the scope?

I was debating the same two spotting scopes leaning towards the Gen 1 Razor because of the fine focus knob. I went with the razor from Sportsman's because of the $720 price I got for BF pricing and abandoned cart invective.

I have a bit of buyers remorse as It isn't substantially better than an old Konus I have. The FOV is much wider, but the image quality is comparable. It is much more robust and better constructed, but I expected better image quality. Makes me wonder if a $400 scope would be a better value.

Those with more experience in optics, what information do you have as I debate keeping or returning the scope?
I can relate - just bought a very new generation Vortex scopes (Viper and Diamondback) and the Gen 1 Razor for comparison. The new generation adjustment on the body is much harder to use and a reason for me to stay with the razor, adding to the cost-benefit mental math (in addition to much better glass!).

I know this is old - but an observation that's slightly off topic, but still may be relevant for others. I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x85 and an Athlon Argos 20-60x85, and the Athlon was not even close to the Diamondback. In fact, the glass on the Athlon was so bad that even with focusing as best I could, the image didn't even look like it was focused anywhere above ~2/3 of max power. The chromatic aberration was terrible as well. I am wondering if I got a defective model, but at any rate, it's getting returned. I see all these posts of Athlon raving reviews, but for me in the Argos line, it was not great.

OP
T
I know this is old - but an observation that's slightly off topic, but still may be relevant for others. I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x85 and an Athlon Argos 20-60x85, and the Athlon was not even close to the Diamondback. In fact, the glass on the Athlon was so bad that even with focusing as best I could, the image didn't even look like it was focused anywhere above ~2/3 of max power. The chromatic aberration was terrible as well. I am wondering if I got a defective model, but at any rate, it's getting returned. I see all these posts of Athlon raving reviews, but for me in the Argos line, it was not great.
It's been a little while now, but I didn't see many reviews on the Argos spotter. Definitely not as much hype around that model as the Ares.

I am very happy with my Gen 1 Razor