Vortex Razor HD LH

SDHNTR

WKR
Never been a Vortex fan really, so I really haven’t even considered them, but the specs on this model are just about exactly what I’m looking for. I want a light 1” scope that is no bigger than 44mm. How’s the reliability, tracking and RTZ on this thing? Any issues?

I haven't had good luck with vortex but this is the exception. This scope is fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Actually, I’m finding now that they don’t make it with a simple duplex reticle. Argh! Deal breaker.

Why is it so hard to find a simple, reliable 1” scope that can dial out to just moderate ranges?

Yea this scope doesn’t have a zero stop and capped turrets.
but I really love mine. Probably my favorite scope.
gonna play with dialing with it and see how it goes Though.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I could live without a zero stop and capped turrets if it was reliable and had a standard plex reticles.

The Razor line is the only Vortex products that I'd even consider any more.

I have three Razor HD LHs (3-15). I have a Tikka T1X (17 HMR) with the G4 reticle as I find that reticle worthless for hunting due to losing the reticle on any dark surface. I have a Savage Lightweight Hunter (308 Win) with the HSR-4 reticle. I have another HSR-4 waiting for a home.

No issues with any of them. The one on my T1X gets dialed the most; 50 rounds per range session. Back and forth between 100/200/300 yards. Pretty much shoot at 100, dial to 200, dial to 300 and then reverse it. Rinse and repeat.

My biggest gripe with them is a lack of zero stop. But I rarely take any of them more than a single revolution.

6.5x284

WKR
Love mine with HSR-4. I've had it since it was released. Strangely, my longest animal with it is a bear at 8 yards, but it's capable of decent distance! I haven't spent a lot of time dialing with it, so can't comment on repeatability, but durability has held up great. It's on a Kimber MT 280 AI without brake, so it has a some decent recoil being so light. Carried a lot and strapped to a pack without any issues so far.

ericwh

WKR
I have the 3-15 with HSR-4. I like the size, weight, and clarity of the scope. The reticle is a little finer than I'd like and I would like to have subtensions on the top of the reticle. I have extra low Talley LW and this thing fits like a glove on my Tikka T3x. I love the way it fits and handles.

As for dialing, turret clicks are pretty mushy IMO and I am comparing them to 2 Burris MTACs I have. Considering lack of zero stop and the feel and size of the turrets and caps, I don't really consider this a scope that I would use if I wanted to dial elevation in the field.

ericwh

WKR
I am looking hard at the VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 with the Windplex reticle as a lightweight scope for dialing elevation. It is a 30mm tube but weight is still pretty good at 19 oz.

Also available in the plain duplex reticle if that's what you're after.

ChrisAU

WKR

bradb

WKR
I like the Lh a lot for a light hunting scope. I personally dont' consider a capped turret scope a "dialing" scope so i guess I don't asses the turrets the same way and is not a consideration to me.
I through one on my 300 norma for my Yukon hunt this past fall for a lighter scope then what is normally on the gun. No intention of dialing and just used hold overs

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
Imagine never having to try Vortex ? They make some really solid scopes, I have 3 of em with no regrets.

FLS

WKR
Actually, I’m finding now that they don’t make it with a simple duplex reticle. Argh! Deal breaker.

Why is it so hard to find a simple, reliable 1” scope that can dial out to just moderate ranges?
There is no market for it. If your are shooting far enough to need to dial distance, why would you gestimate wind holds? That doesn’t make sense.