Vortex Razor HD vs Zeiss Conquest HD?

Optikus

FNG
Hello guys

still trying to decide to choose between the Razor HD and Conquest HD, the input of anyone who tried them both is deeply appreciated, thanks

RELIANT

FNG
go and try both and see which your eyes like best. I'd recommend going to a shop that carries both and see if they will let you test them both side by side outside. That is what I did. I ended up going with the Razors cause I thought they had a little better color contrast and seem to be just as sharp as the Zeiss.

To me they both seemed very close in terms of clarity and unless you did a side by side comparison it would be really hard to notice much of a difference. I went back and forth looking at various distances outside with them both and thought the Razors just barely edged out the Conquest.

It was mid-day when I tried them out, so I dont know how they compare in low light. But I'm pretty happy with the Razor's low light performance as I have spotted animals before legal shooting light on multiple occasions with them.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
The conquests are brighter, and are sharper. They seem comparable edge to edge. The razors are lighter and have better eyecups. For me, Comparing the razors to my vipers there wasn’t enough an improvement to justify the price, where the conquests are visually close to Swaro SLCs I’ve compared them with in low light.

Last edited:

2blade

WKR
The conquests are brighter, and are sharper. They seem comparable edge to edge. The razors are lighter and have better eyecups. For me, Comparing the razors to my vipers there wasn’t enough an improvement to justify the price, where the conquests are visually close to Swaro SLCs I’ve compared them with in low light.

I agree with this 100%. The Conquests also control chromatic aberation a little better than the razor if you see it.

The Leica Trinovid ain't bad either. Very good ergonomics, Off hand, I can hold my 10's as steady as my 8x32 conquests. and excellent eyecups. Weight falls right in the middle.

The best thing to do is go look through both of them side by side, everyones eyes are a little different.

kowa genesis over both, conquest over razor

seriously, at that 1k price range, the kowas are legit... might be able to find some slc's used in your budget too.... kowas are still better optically, but the slc is a great combo of lightweight, good ergos, and great glass.

i know many like the conquest, they are clear sharp glass, but had very dull contrast to my eyes (remind me of the razor uhd... kind of a gray hue rather than the rich contrast of a bino like the kowa or slc, or EL, etc...)

i would also favor meoptas over the razor or conquest, but i'm a huge fan of the kowa genesis for the dough, get a cheap aziak bino ring for the tripod and you are pretty well off (just my opinion of course, you'll be happy whatever direction you go i would assume)

I went with the Zeiss’s, and have been very happy with them. To me, they are “close enough” to as good as it gets for a fraction of the price.

I just can’t get on board with Vortex. I understand that some of their cheaper offerings are functional for less $, but when you’re looking at spending the same $ as Zeiss, Meopta, Kowa, or even Maven, I just don’t understand why anyone would pick Vortex instead.

I haven’t seen or heard anyone claim the Razors are better than any of those, I suppose if you prefer the ergonomics in some way.

I just can’t get on board with Vortex. I understand that some of their cheaper offerings are functional for less $, but when you’re looking at spending the same $ as Zeiss, Meopta, Kowa, or even Maven, I just don’t understand why anyone would pick Vortex instead.
yeah, they are like a nissan cube... when i see one driving around, i always reflect on the reality of it all.... at some point, some person went to a car lot to buy a new car...... out of ALL of the vehicles on the lot, they point to the cube and say "that one"

there are many things in this world i will never comprehend, people are weird

BX-4’s are half the price and better binos all around, Japanese glass and build quality and under $500 if you shop around. At the $1K price point IMO it’s foolish not to spend another $500 or so to get into some nice used EL’s.