Vortex Razor UHD

They just posted them up on there site. Will be very interested in looking through them. I am guessing there street price will be 17-2000. Kind of thinking they missed out on getting away from the razor being the high end bino…. your trying to compete with the big boys here but still keep it pretty much the same name as the old binos that are cheaper.....

According to the published specs their 12s have roughly the same field of view as swaro 15s. For vortex’s sake I hope that isn’t true. And a 2k price tag. Wonder where they have them made. At least they have a nice warranty...

Looks like the street prices on these are going to be significantly higher than Meopta B1s, Maven B-series, Zeiss Conquest, etc. and pretty close to in line with Swaro SLCs. I'm of the opinion that Vortex has in the past made some decent optics that were competitive but I have a hard time believing these UHDs are going to be worth the price they're charging compared to the aforementioned competitors. Maybe they'll prove me wrong. Like @lundellhunting7 alluded to I hope that FOV spec on the 12x is a typo because 236 ft FOV in a 12x is awful.

I'm not quite sure these will be competitive within their projected price range. As an example, I look at the 8x42 ones they're coming out with. The weight for the Vortex is 4oz heavier than Swarovski 8x42 SLC binos. Also, the eye relief is shorter (matters for glasses wearers) and the whole unit is larger in the hands than the Swarovski. I'm just not sure the glass itself will be enough to make up for the size/weight difference between the two. I find it hard to believe it'll be better than Swarovski.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I agree not sure why anyone would buy these when they are so closely priced to Swarovski, I was hoping they would be American made like their AMG scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lundellhunting7
I’m thinking these will interest me at the 1250 mark new, which I believe we will see at a 1499 map

Well they are defiantly not going to be 1250 unless you have a dealer that will hook you up. Even with that none of the specs get me going whatsoever.

Beendare

WKR
UHD eh?

Questioning minds......
So now are the other manufacturers going to have to top that....as HD isn't good enough anymore?
Swaro= UUHD, Ultra Ultra High Def
Leica= SDHD, Super Duper HD
Zeiss= UFHD, Ultra Fantastic HD

Is Vortex going to rebrand their lesser lines, NECHD= Not Even Close to HD? Or does Redfield already have that trademarked? /grin

TheCougar

WKR
Vortex either has one of three plans:
1. They made an amazing binocular to rival true alpha glass, despite the size, weight, and ugliness.
2. They are planning on sellling them well below MAP, to market them to the discriminating consumers who will spend $1700 for these but not 1900 for Swaros.
3. They plan on pimping the hell out of their warranty and giving away free stuff, (maybe like a bino harness?) to distract from the competition.

bradb

WKR
Yes they are a fair bit bigger and heavier then the old ones. I actually like the size and weight better, kind of thought the old ones were a little small.
I guess I will wait to past much judgment tell people really compare. Of course it doesn't matter to most really as the right name isn't on it. Yes I do believe if people could do a testing of binos with out knowing who made them, that there choices in bino would change. And no i am not saying they would change to Vortex, just change from what they are using

rodney482

WKR
I too will give them a shot.

Yes they are a fair bit bigger and heavier then the old ones. I actually like the size and weight better, kind of thought the old ones were a little small.
I guess I will wait to past much judgment tell people really compare. Of course it doesn't matter to most really as the right name isn't on it. Yes I do believe if people could do a testing of binos with out knowing who made them, that there choices in bino would change. And no i am not saying they would change to Vortex, just change from what they are using

TreyPound

FNG
Just got mine and got to use it this weekend. Impressive. Shot steel to 1980 hand held. Stabilized it on truck window and got better readings, but damn. This thing is fast and accurate. A few others got to use it too, they were equally impressed. We all got same readings on multiple targets out to 1080 without any support or tripod, just hand held. It is worth the $$.

Rodéo

WKR
Just got mine and got to use it this weekend. Impressive. Shot steel to 1980 hand held. Stabilized it on truck window and got better readings, but damn. This thing is fast and accurate. A few others got to use it too, they were equally impressed. We all got same readings on multiple targets out to 1080 without any support or tripod, just hand held. It is worth the $$.
I think you're talking about the vortex fury? I don't think the razor uhd has an integrated rangefinder