Vortex razor vs. Leupold santiam head to head bino compare

Deadfall

WKR
I own a pair of vortex 10x50 razor hd and a pair of leupold 10x50 Santiago hd.

Ive been testing side by side for 2 days now.

Early morning
Late evening
Middle of day
Time behind glass

Clarity goes to leupold
Vortex are a touch lighter
Leupold fit my fat head alittle better

Spent 1.5 consistant hours looking through each glass. My breaks were timed and taken at set intervals during each test.
Neither one gave me a headache.
At 1.5 hours the leupold were more comfortable

At 1500 yards with
Vortex I could make out different size rocks but no wildlife.

With the leupold I could pick out a mile deer in the rocks.

Side note, I found the deer in my spotting scope first.

All tests so far have been conducted from my back deck. I live on a mountain with miles and miles of terrain to look over. Wildlife is fairly thick here. Point being i made myself as comfortable as possible so all energy could be focused solely on testing.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Testing will continue through rest of year. Will be field testing from here on.
I'll head for mountains middle of August and be mostly gone until December. Will update this thread between trips.

Hopefully someone finds something useful in here 20200730_182904.jpg

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Only real differences I've noticed so far.

Vortex are lighter
Leupold are clearer.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
This'll be interesting to tag along with. I've got BX-4 10x50's coming my way and an SX-5 spotter. Going up against my buddies Razors (8x, 12x, 18x, & Spotter)

ffcpfef

FNG
This'll be interesting to tag along with. I've got BX-4 10x50's coming my way and an SX-5 spotter. Going up against my buddies Razors (8x, 12x, 18x, & Spotter)
Did you get a chance to compare the BX-4 to the razors yet? Curious to what your thoughts are.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I've been using the bx 5s consistently, have yet to get a headache or burn my eyes. See how it goes in rifle season.

Vortex in my opinion seem overrated for tge blue collar type field glass

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
Did you get a chance to compare the BX-4 to the razors yet? Curious to what your thoughts are.
Personally, i like the BX-4's better for my eyes. They preformed a touch better than the razors in low light, and were much more ergonomically pleasing.

I also compared my 15x56 Santiams to his 18's and thought they were much more clear.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
update. Very slow week hunting. Spent several long days looking through glass. Bx5 are pretty good for blue collar glass. Swaro still best of best, but I have no complaint at all with my leupolds.

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
update. Very slow week hunting. Spent several long days looking through glass. Bx5 are pretty good for blue collar glass. Swaro still best of best, but I have no complaint at all with my leupolds.
Hi sir, just wondering if your still enjoying the BX-5 Leupold binos?
I'm considering a pair. I hunt out west every 2 to 3 years so I want good glass while there but hard to justify Swarovski for a few hunts. I have some Swarovski pocket binos that I use back here in the mountains of PA for archery hunting. I love them but hate to drop near 3k on a pair for out west. I love Leupold scopes and use them on many rifles but not sure about their binos.
Thanks sir.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Hi sir, just wondering if your still enjoying the BX-5 Leupold binos?
I'm considering a pair. I hunt out west every 2 to 3 years so I want good glass while there but hard to justify Swarovski for a few hunts. I have some Swarovski pocket binos that I use back here in the mountains of PA for archery hunting. I love them but hate to drop near 3k on a pair for out west. I love Leupold scopes and use them on many rifles but not sure about their binos.
Thanks sir.
Yap. Still running the 10x50. I like em

Thanks for the compare! As you've been running them for a few years, I was curious if you've had any issues with using the eye-cup and if they are uncomfortable like some other reviews (see backwoods pursuit) mention?

From the looks of it, the thin rubber ridge around the edge of the eyecups looks like it would get sharp on your brow after a while.

Also- any issues with the non-locking diopter bumping loose?

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Thanks for the compare! As you've been running them for a few years, I was curious if you've had any issues with using the eye-cup and if they are uncomfortable like some other reviews (see backwoods pursuit) mention?

From the looks of it, the thin rubber ridge around the edge of the eyecups looks like it would get sharp on your brow after a while.

Also- any issues with the non-locking diopter bumping loose?
I dont have any issues with the leupold binos. They ain't swaros by no means. They've been good to me