Vortex Razor vs Maven C1

Jonny360

FNG
Newb here, just getting into bow hunting and doing all my research. I've narrowed down my optics a bit but need some input. I have a lot of gear to purchase since i'm starting from scratch. So saving money where I can is helpful, but if its worth spending a little bit on some decent optics then thats what i'll do.

I've heard good things about the Maven brand, and less good things about Vortex. It would be great to have a spotter and nocks for under 1k combined.

I'm looking at refurb Vortex Razor HD 10x42's for $730, and the Maven C1 for $350 new. Also looking at a Razor HD 11-33x50 spotter for $425.

I'm just trying to decide if this is a good combo, and if its worth going for the razor or save $400 and just get the Maven nocks? I'm in the southwest and plan on picking up a tripod as well. I'll be hunting primarily in the local mountains, not sure the exact yardage i'll be glassing. When I spoke with the local Vortex dealer they recommended starting with Diamonback 10x42's, but I think i'd like to aim a little higher than those. Thoughts?

Napperm4

WKR
Full disclosure I’ve never put hands on the mavens.

It’ll help a bit aside from know yardage, what’s the terrain you plan on hunting like? Are you looking miles off into the wide open or in relative close proximity in timber?

How do plan to use a spotter? For general glassing instead of your binos or just to check something out?

Are you assessing trophy potential and trying to score on the hoof or just wanting to verify an animal is legal?

I’ve played with a lot of glass. My partners are big vortex fans. I’m in Canada so it’s hard to get eyes on mavens here but I have a buddy getting them in and I’ll be trying them this season.

Any of the suggestions you had are going to be pretty good on a tripod so you’re on the right track there.

For bow hunting, unless you’re looking 2 miles out I’d suggest 8x42 for the better field of view and brightness. They’re also easier to handhold on the stalk and pretty effective to a mile or so when tripod mounted.

Nothing wrong with a pair of razors. Even the vipers are ok glass performance wise.

There’s advantages to be had for both the 8x42 and 10x42. The deal on the refurbished razors is appealing if that’s the HD model. At least if you decide to change them or upgrade down the road they won’t depreciate much further than that so it’s basically a free trial.

I’m sure you know but maven offers a trial program. If you’re close to a retailer you could bring a trial pair and get set up with some razors to do your own side by side.

As a heads up, I’ve owned 4 different pairs of vortex binos and they’ve all had to be sent in for warranty repairs due to some internal problems and I baby my glass. 2 were colimnation issues, one was a focus mechanism and one was internal fogging. These were 15x vipers, 2 pairs of razor HD’s and a pair of 15x kaibabs. All bought new and well cared for.

All of the optics companies have great warranties now so that’s no longer a consideration. I’d rather have a lesser warranty I didn’t have to use.

Vortex and maven are great marketing companies. They put a lot of money into their marketing which means less on the product itself. That’s the only way they can sustain a business.

They’re popular and well known because of that but there’s better bang for your buck options out there. Nikon and kowa come to mind. Similar price points but far more trustworthy than vortex and better quality.

For the spotter - it’ll compliment 8 or 10’s nicely to a point. The little vortex really suffers in low light when the animals are most active. Not an issue if you’re spending your days glassing with binos and trying to verify something bedded but if you’re trying to glass it at dawn or dusk on the move you’ll want more. Especially at high power.

I tried for years and different models to love 50mm spotters. I just can’t come around on them. There’s nothing that gathers enough light, is clear at high magnification, gives me a great FOV and has a rotating collar. I’m probably pickier than most but I like what I like hahaha.

Personal choice there but nothing under a 65 makes it into my packs anymore. Again Nikon was the winner in that department with their ED50. The new maven looks appealing and has the fluoride glass but doesn’t have enough magnification for what I do.

I’m a proponent of the vanguard endeavour HD for a great all round spotter. It was better to my eyes to every razor I put it up against (sold my own razor and ran the vanguard for a few years). It’s light enough, great view and made it in the pack every time.

Athlon ares is another good option there.

A bit long winded I guess but for me it’d be an 8x42 with ED glass and a tripod mount and a decent 65mm spotter.

You should really give Doug or Joel at cameraland ny a call. They can put you in the right direction, offer great service to everyone and a discount to rokslide members.

The Maven C1s are a great buy. I love the glass. The optical quality is tremendous for non alpha glass. Rave reviews just above everywhere. Vortex is not liked on this site generally because of lower QC and pricing that doesn’t justify the buy.

If you plan on glassing or judging elk over about two miles grab a spotter. Otherwise, throw your Mavens on a tripod and call it good. Most archery guys don’t run spotters unless spot and stalk in open country is their tactic.

OP
J

Jonny360

FNG
It’ll help a bit aside from know yardage, what’s the terrain you plan on hunting like? Are you looking miles off into the wide open or in relative close proximity in timber?

How do plan to use a spotter? For general glassing instead of your binos or just to check something out?

Are you assessing trophy potential and trying to score on the hoof or just wanting to verify an animal is legal?

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'll be hunting primarily the eastern sierras and white/inyo mountains in California. Thats a lot of open terrain and scattered timber. https://www.marcelhuijserphotography.com/img/s/v-3/p831634774-5.jpg

Spotter was to get a detailed look into shadows and at potential mulies. In california we can only hunt forked bucks, so I want to be able to tell if its a legal animal before starting a stalk.

For a newbie its tough, as i'm sure you can imagine, everyone seems to have an opinion and they vary a lot. I think i'm still leaning towards the Maven c1's just to save a little cash and help me get all rigged out initially. Then once i get a season or two under my belt i'll better know what I need or want and can adjust from there.

Last edited:

Napperm4

WKR
Thanks for the detailed response.

I'll be hunting primarily the eastern sierras and white/inyo mountains in California. Thats a lot of open terrain and scattered timber. https://www.marcelhuijserphotography.com/img/s/v-3/p831634774-5.jpg

Spotter was to get a detailed look into shadows and at potential mulies. In california we can only hunt forked bucks, so I want to be able to tell if its a legal animal before starting a stalk.

For a newbie its tough, as i'm sure you can imagine, everyone seems to have an opinion and they vary a lot. I think i'm still leaning towards the Maven c1's just to save a little cash and help me get all rigged out initially. Then once i get a season or two under my belt i'll better know what I need or want and can adjust from there.

Yeah opinions on glass is like assholes. Everyone has a different one.

No shame in trying things to see what you like and works for you.

If you’re just starting out I’d suggest a pair of 10x42’s on a tripod and hold out on the spotter. You’re bow hunting so you’re going to be stalking within probably 30 yards for a shot anyways. You should be able to tell most detail off tripod mounted 10’s with decent clarity from up to a mile out. Unless you’re trying to count a small cheater (I’m not sure what classifies legally as forked in California) you shouldn’t need much more glass.

I’m a hunter, not a sniper so if something looks decent and I don’t have a spotter I’m making a stalk to get within effective range and make a final decision using the glass before a shot.

If I were in your shoes I’d try out the maven demo program for the first hunt since there’s really no risk. If they aren’t the right fit you can send em back, if they’re what you decide on then you can keep em with a discount or order a brand new set.

That’ll give you time to decide if you need a spotter or not for next season. I never ran one until I really started getting picky about my animals. I like to make sure I’m taking out a fairly mature bull/buck/ram. I could count points with 10’s but not overall inches.

You can put the spotter budget into the other critical items be it better binocs, quality tripod and head, good boots etc.

I know how expensive and overwhelming the start up costs can be. Places not to cut corners are definitely your glass, boots, pack and sleep system. Those are the most critical to helping you hunt harder, longer and more efficiently.

Out of all of my hunting gear, my 10’s by far get the most use. Hours a day scanning from peaks in the Rockies looking for legal and trophy animals. That’s where I find the real difference between the budget and larger budget glass. I’ve looked through tons of binos and at a quick glance or checking them outside a shop they seem awesome, clear crisp and all those good things. When I’m sitting for 6-8 hours in the field looking through them it’s a totally different story. Learned that through experience over the years. Eye fatigue and headaches are no joke.

The old cliche of buy the best you can afford is really true with binos. I probably wouldn’t miss having the latest and greatest underwear, pants and jacket out there but I’d sure miss the quality of my glass.

KHNC

WKR
Vortex introduced a new line of Razor this year as well. Higher quality glass than past models.
Razor UHD- Abbe Koenig Prism