Vortex scope not quite what i thought?

my vortex glass will slowly be weeded out.
Binos sent back once, rifle viper scope sent back twice, binos are falling apart again. Only my razor spotter hasn’t had major issues. I thought about the razor binos but I hate using warranties when my hunting time is so valuable.

Last edited:
Terrible thread... I only have one Vortex scope but damn sure hope it don’t wind up like this.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I had one of their light weight scopes. Went to the range to check zero a fees days before the hunt. Shot the gun, everything went blurry. That would have been a disaster on a hunt. Since then I don’t use their rifle scopes. I do use their binoculars and spotters though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcoastDG

FNG
Sigh.. I guess I really do need that Bushnell HDMR II. I have same scope as OP. My bank account sure loves Rokslide.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry you're having trouble.

I hunted with a Viper for 1.5 seasons and didn't have any problems. Then I switched to the Razor line for resolving power and have hunted 4 seasons with no issues.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Everyone I know that is big on vortex is getting it for free/deeply discounted or quick to point out how great customer service and warranty service is.... because they’ve had to use it... no problem with their razor line but below that is a gamble.

OP
jonboatjockey

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread and responses! Any suggestions for scopes that are solid for around a grand?

Every time I hear the “best warranty in the business you should totally buy them!!!!!1!” lines I’ve gotta ask -

does their warranty cover my tag? Flight/gas? Pto? Is it gonna send me another rifle when I’m 10 miles in the wilderness while mines getting fixed? Nope. Warranty means jack shit in the middle of a hunt. I’d prefer a scope that has a decent warranty I never have to use vs. a no fault warranty I’m definitely gonna need to use.

Not to mention the fact that in 90% of cases, there exists a better optic at any given price point.

Wiljam09

FNG
I’ve used a lot of vortex products and have had to use the warranty before. For the 1k range the nightforce Shv and Leupold have a few great options if you want turrets. Learning the hard way, buy once cry once on optics is very true.

JigStick

WKR
Every Leupold I’ve owned has been GTG. Mark 4s, Mark 5s, VX5HDs. He’ll even my old VX3s from 20yrs who have been solid. Warranty just as good as Vortex

I dropped my $150Leupy Cascade binos out of a tree this year and busted the eye piece off. They sent me back brand new $500 BX4 Pro Guides.

Azone

WKR
I have a viper 6x24 that will be going bye bye. Glass quality is meh on this scope and I've had issues with tracking. I thought I was being sly and saving money when I bought it, should have just purchased once, cried once type of deal. Live and learn, but personally I would never buy one again. I would go with a Leupold flavored something with the CDS setup for that price range.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I have a viper 6x24 that will be going bye bye. Glass quality is meh on this scope and I've had issues with tracking. I thought I was being sly and saving money when I bought it, should have just purchased once, cried once type of deal. Live and learn, but personally I would never buy one again. I would go with a Leupold flavored something with the CDS setup for that price range.

In all seriousness you'll be in the same boat with Leupold unless you step up to the Mark5 or better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an earlier model viper and it gave me a couple small problems. Nothing big, more about the build quality not being what I wanted in a scope.

I was reluctant to get another Vortex but I did decide to try a PST gen2. I have had it a year now and I am happy with it for the money. IMO the gen 2's don't even come close to the same as any of the gen 1s.
My $0.02.