Vortex scope not quite what i thought?

mt100gr.

WKR
You guys that have had problems with the PST's, were they gen 1's or gen 2's?

I had 2 Gen 1 Viper scopes that degraded over time in both tracking and their ability to return to zero.

I have a viper 6x24 that will be going bye bye. Glass quality is meh on this scope and I've had issues with tracking. I thought I was being sly and saving money when I bought it, should have just purchased once, cried once type of deal. Live and learn, but personally I would never buy one again. I would go with a Leupold flavored something with the CDS setup for that price range.

Research those CDS scopes before you replace a vortex with a leupold....

Azone

WKR
I had 2 Gen 1 Viper scopes that degraded over time in both tracking and their ability to return to zero.

Research those CDS scopes before you replace a vortex with a leupold....

Has there been that many issues with the CDS scopes? I know two people using them on 300 win mags who love them. Grant it these people are not shooting anywhere near as much as some people on the forum. Maybe they have not beat them up enough to reveal the flaws?
Before I purchased my Vortex I looked at the Night Force SHV, but the cheap skate in me prevailed. Yes, lesson learned. To those of you with time behind the SHV my assumption is that it blows Vortex out by a mile or three?

mt100gr.

WKR
Has there been that many issues with the CDS scopes? I know two people using them on 300 win mags who love them. Grant it these people are not shooting anywhere near as much as some people on the forum. Maybe they have not beat them up enough to reveal the flaws?
Before I purchased my Vortex I looked at the Night Force SHV, but the cheap skate in me prevailed. Yes, lesson learned. To those of you with time behind the SHV my assumption is that it blows Vortex out by a mile or three?
If you do some looking, you'll find many accounts of leupolds failing. And failing some more. The internals of their CDS scopes are not up to the task. I have gone to analysis -paralysis and back a few times on the topic but have never actually owned a leupold scope any flavor. Luckily, I researched a bunch as I was about to bite on leupold. Just too many similar accounts of failure.

I learned the hard way with Vortex, as well. Lots of hours spent researching, finding exactly what I didn't want to read. What was worse is the info corroborated what I experienced with the two viper scopes I used to own.

All of my rifles but one have nightforce or SWFA scopes now. The SHV scopes are solid. And yes, they blow vortex away. The SWFA scopes are optically "plenty good" and mechanically excellent. They do what they say they will over and over and over. And that is what matters.

Azone

WKR
If you do some looking, you'll find many accounts of leupolds failing. And failing some more. The internals of their CDS scopes are not up to the task. I have gone to analysis -paralysis and back a few times on the topic but have never actually owned a leupold scope any flavor. Luckily, I researched a bunch as I was about to bite on leupold. Just too many similar accounts of failure.

I learned the hard way with Vortex, as well. Lots of hours spent researching, finding exactly what I didn't want to read. What was worse is the info corroborated what I experienced with the two viper scopes I used to own.

All of my rifles but one have nightforce or SWFA scopes now. The SHV scopes are solid. And yes, they blow vortex away. The SWFA scopes are optically "plenty good" and mechanically excellent. They do what they say they will over and over and over. And that is what matters.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I will definitely be combing through the classifieds alot more.

Optics and electronics.....you get what you pay for. I agree with all the above posts. Vortex is good for what it is, but most will eventually move on from them. They are a good "gateway drug" into the wormhole of optics.

Don't want to buy a scope for $1200 so you buy the $900 scope. Then you realize that you should have gotten the better one and sell the $900 scope to a buddy for $700 (if your lucky). You then take that $700 and put it towards the $1200 scope. Now remember when you didn't want to pay $1200 initially for that scope? Well, you have it now after learning your lesson. The lesson being, that $1200 scope actually became a $1400 scope once it was all said and done.
This stands true for any scope at any price when you first go cheap, just go come back around and do what should have been done in the first place. "Buy once, cry once". It's a thing.

jfs82

WKR
I had an earlier model viper and it gave me a couple small problems. Nothing big, more about the build quality not being what I wanted in a scope.

I was reluctant to get another Vortex but I did decide to try a PST gen2. I have had it a year now and I am happy with it for the money. IMO the gen 2's don't even come close to the same as any of the gen 1s.
My $0.02.
My gen II has had no problems as well, but I want to go lighter so may Ebay it shortly since no one here seems to buy resale vortex scopes.

My gen II has had no problems as well, but I want to go lighter so may Ebay it shortly since no one here seems to buy resale vortex scopes.
Good to hear. You might be surprised, I'd definitely try putting it up here. If it's a popular format and priced right, I bet it moves quicker than you'd think.

Don't want to buy a scope for $1200 so you buy the $900 scope. Then you realize that you should have gotten the better one and sell the $900 scope to a buddy for $700 (if your lucky). You then take that $700 and put it towards the $1200 scope. Now remember when you didn't want to pay $1200 initially for that scope? Well, you have it now after learning your lesson. The lesson being, that $1200 scope actually became a $1400 scope once it was all said and done.
This stands true for any scope at any price when you first go cheap, just go come back around and do what should have been done in the first place. "Buy once, cry once". It's a thing.

This is very true. I have done this as well as many others I am sure. I bought what was at the time the best most expensive scope I had ever gotten and it broke on my first elk hunt within the first few hours of walking. Just by rubbing against my pack. I am close to having all nf now after that rude awakening. Not saying that is the only answer but I believe it is a good one that is built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
This thread has me thinking. How can I tell if my viper hslr 4-16 is a gen 1 or 2? I bought this scope in April 2016. So far I havent had any noticeable (key word) issues with it tracking but my goups have never been as good as expected at 200-500 yards and Ive always chalked it up to the ammo/barrel/shooter.

Rob5589

WKR
This thread has me thinking. How can I tell if my viper hslr 4-16 is a gen 1 or 2? I bought this scope in April 2016. So far I havent had any noticeable (key word) issues with it tracking but my goups have never been as good as expected at 200-500 yards and Ive always chalked it up to the ammo/barrel/shooter.
Vortex is super responsive to inquiries. Shoot them an email or give em a call. If you think tracking is off, send it in and they will take care of you. If nothing else, they have fantastic CS.

rodney482

WKR
My low end crossfire II 4–16 AO is great for the money

those shots are 1” high. Site turned my photo.
999BDFFE-1042-49FB-A602-C33F188C613F.jpeg8B8E469D-77B6-4C96-A915-C6C47CA52A7E.jpeg61B560B8-A3C0-4595-B905-A1658E3C371D.jpeg

Viper HSLR is very similar to gen 1 PST which are known to have frequent tracking failures. Gen 2 PST is completely different scope, I don't believe they made a gen 2 hslr.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I own a couple vortex optics and the only time I have had an issue with one was TSA related abuse and just required a quick re-zero. What happened to Vortex quality? Does Zeiss make a FFP optic similar to the PST gen II 5-25? I was leaning toward Vortex as they offer a pretty good first responder discount, does anyone have a substitute? Or should I just buy and hope I get a good one, returning them til I do? Sorry for the slew of questions and thanks ahead of time

Rob5589

WKR
I own a couple vortex optics and the only time I have had an issue with one was TSA related abuse and just required a quick re-zero. What happened to Vortex quality? Does Zeiss make a FFP optic similar to the PST gen II 5-25? I was leaning toward Vortex as they offer a pretty good first responder discount, does anyone have a substitute? Or should I just buy and hope I get a good one, returning them til I do? Sorry for the slew of questions and thanks ahead of time
They aren't all bad. My ranger finder is great. I have a Viper HS on my hunting gun, no issues. I have a couple other products that are also fine. The gen II seems to be better than the gen I.
Maybe take a look at the Athlon line?? You could call Doug at Cameraland to discuss options. He has a Rokslide discount as well as open box stuff. Looks like he is reducing inventory right now to make room for new gear. Or just get the Vortex. Chances are it will be fine.

OP
jonboatjockey

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going to a Mark5 after my last HSLR, I really liked the vortex, but wasn’t quite was I was looking for. I still have one on my 6.5X284 that has been great. Hopefully Vortex comes out with a Gen2 HSLR, as I think it would benefit from a facelift on the internals

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
@Rob5589 I will give the Athlon line a look. Haven't heard of them. I know I will be really annoyed if I spend good money on a scope for it to not to work. Thank you!