Vortex scope not quite what i thought?

OP
jonboatjockey

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
@jonboatjockey where did the Vortex fall short for you? I'm by no means a scope snob
The most recent HSLR had a 3/4 MOA shift after impact out of the box. Burnt up a lot of 210 & 215 Berger’s and H1K to figure that out. I have a pair or viper HD 10x50’s for work that really arent that impressive, they do get a lot of use but it seems like once a year I have to send them in. I have a viper spotting scope that needed to be sent it for repairs, and hardly left the pickup, ever. Honestly for what I pay for them they are pretty good, but as budget allows I am going to upgrade for turret reliability. I don’t always dial, but when I do I want it to work year after year. I hunt, I shoot and I like hitting steel at 1K and deer at 400 and do not want to chase a 3 legged deer up and down steep breaky country due to gear malfunction. If it’s my error, well the. I earned the right to hump hills to finish what I started.

CNEDEER

FNG
I am apparently in the minority but I have had great luck with Vortex scopes and rangefinders. FWIW

Tahoe1305

WKR
I as well.
I am apparently in the minority but I have had great luck with Vortex scopes and rangefinders. FWIW
I as well. I will admit I have looked through glass that cost twice as much in recent months. It is better. But not twice as good and not the warranty. I like the value still of vortex.

lapuafan

FNG
I have 2 of the gen 2, never had a problem.
Know several that have the hslr they perform great for them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lapuafan

FNG
You guys that have had problems with the PST's, were they gen 1's or gen 2's?
I have 2 if gen 2 not one problem. I shoot with guys with gen 1 probably Over 10 of these guys, they shoot great not had a problem. But like anything I guess you can get a bad one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have been using a Gen 2 PST on one of my rifles for the last year and I've had zero problems with it and I tend to like it. From what I've read and researched it seems the failure rate for these Gen 2's is much lower than the previous Gen 1's.

Vortex as a brand will always be heavily scrutinized. I would love to know the true failure rate of all brand scopes. I certainly understand that some will rate much higher than others. But some, at least in what I've researched have next to zero failure reported. Maybe that's partly due to the price tag and those not speaking up about the issue to justify it. I do believe any mechanical device can fail. Yes there are better designs that lend itself to be more reliable and repeatable but even with that nothing is perfect and everything is a tradeoff.

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a Gen 2 PST on one of my rifles for the last year and I've had zero problems with it and I tend to like it. From what I've read and researched it seems the failure rate for these Gen 2's is much lower than the previous Gen 1's.

Vortex as a brand will always be heavily scrutinized. I would love to know the true failure rate of all brand scopes. I certainly understand that some will rate much higher than others. But some, at least in what I've researched have next to zero failure reported. Maybe that's partly due to the price tag and those not speaking up about the issue to justify it. I do believe any mechanical device can fail. Yes there are better designs that lend itself to be more reliable and repeatable but even with that nothing is perfect and everything is a tradeoff.
Put me on the board for a PST Gen 2 "Faulty Scope" - They did send me a brand new replacement when sent in for Warranty, so that was nice at least!
Its never taken a hard hit that I am aware of either, I am pretty soft on my gear!

Attachments

• 20200921_162250.jpg
    20200921_162250.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 58

Big Ern

WKR
save up and spend more money on your optics. NF would be a good place to start for scopes. If you want to step up from there, S&B or TT.

MattB

WKR
Sound like you experienced what most of us think about Vortex. It was best put, the warranty you will use.

Last edited:

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I had an issue with a Vortex 1500 range finder, and Vortex sent me a replacement very quickly.

I have 2 Razor HD scopes and so far, I have been pleased with their performance. I am looking at building a long range rifle after this hunting season, and I am looking at the Razor HD AMG and Nightforce NX8.

I just had to send 3 of my 4 vortex scopes in for repair. Two are the viper series. One is the new strike eagle 5-25 by 56. One of the vipers I had just received back from repairs and the first trip to the range it failed again. Vortex's customer service was stellar and they replaced two of the three scopes with new ones, but with a 75 percent failure rate from personal experience I'm done with them. I just ordered a Mark 5. Going to upgrade all my scopes to Leupold.

I just had to send 3 of my 4 vortex scopes in for repair. Two are the viper series. One is the new strike eagle 5-25 by 56. One of the vipers I had just received back from repairs and the first trip to the range it failed again. Vortex's customer service was stellar and they replaced two of the three scopes with new ones, but with a 75 percent failure rate from personal experience I'm done with them. I just ordered a Mark 5. Going to upgrade all my scopes to Leupold.
Sorry, but the strike eagle and viper line are not an even comparison to a mark 5. Not apples to apples in the least.

Sorry, but the strike eagle and viper line are not an even comparison to a mark 5. Not apples to apples in the least.
I wasn't comparing. The leupold is a much better scope than either, but I also expected better than a 75 percent failure rate when I paid over 500 dollars for each of the vortex scopes.

Block

WKR
Iv has (2) Vortex scopes that lost zero constantly right out of the box.. same as you took quite a bit of ammo to figure out.., also a range finder that went all blurry/distorted in less than a season... their warranty is great but you buy a few items and you WILLLLL use it... That being said I have a basic Viper 6.5-20x50 on my 270 and it’s been a great shooter for 4 years.