Vortex scopes on 338’s

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll be fine man. I’ve never heard of a vortex loosing its zero or tracking ability due to heavy recoil. (Have a razor for sale if you’re interested)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkyotehtr

FNG
i have a vortex strike eagle on my 338 win kimber Montana. And have not had any trouble with it. shooting 230gr eld and re 19 about 300 rounds so far getting ready to go elk hunting

My gen 1 pst worked on my 338 lapua to get me a bear at 500yds last year. All I did was mount it, zero it, and hunt. Same scope is on my 15lb 6.5 creedmoor and suffers from the zero walking throughout the year as I use it. Generally spinning the turrets is what throws the zero off. When I shoot PRS matches with it I can notice my dope change towards the end of the match and afterwards when I recheck my zero it is always off. Seems to track correctly and for limited hunting use I think it would be a good scope.

For your application I would go pst, amg, or razor. The lesser lines I would just check your zero on a regular basis or before every hunt...then don't touch it!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Same scope is on my 15lb 6.5 creedmoor and suffers from the zero walking throughout the year as I use it. Generally spinning the turrets is what throws the zero off. When I shoot PRS matches with it I can notice my dope change towards the end of the match and afterwards when I recheck my zero it is always off. Seems to track correctly and for limited hunting use I think it would be a good scope.

Wait.... what?

You have a scope that loses zero just in shooting a single match, and you’re recommending it?

Wait.... what?

You have a scope that loses zero just in shooting a single match, and you’re recommending it?
I gave my experiences and let the OP use it at his discretion. For what it is I don't dislike the scope, would I buy one again certainly not. If budget limited OP to this certain model I don't think it would be a bad buy. Limited use it has seemed solid like I stated, heavy use it starts losing it so take this how you will. Some people don't mind checking zero every so often, others demand perfection. All depends on what a person wants. Before this scope I had a leupold 3xv-L scope and that walked zero worse when I dialed elevation. At a lower price point there will always be setbacks. Be sure to expect some when purchasing any "lower end" optic.

Also OP specifically mentioned vortex so I won't derail with throwing 5 other manufactures at him. I have seen the pst work flawlessly on a 300 win mag as well so take that into consideration as well. There's bad apples in every bunch. Personally for a magnum rifle I would look into a higher end optic but that is not a reality for some people and we need to respect that.

I'll derail it....Vortex whores themselves out and offers a very easy to obtain discount to anyhow who went to grade school with...this one guy....who's cousin from Jefferson County.....dated a girl that is now a volunteer EMT.

I bought into it when they first came out. It's what I could afford at the time. I have since moved almost all of them. I have to run on a budget as well, and I do NOT have a gun safe full of $2500 optics.

They are not my first choice for any price range any longer.

WKR
For a very reasonable price point, a 6x or 3-9 SWFA would be worth strong consideration.

I am a fan of Xs. Do own a 3-9 SWFA. Mounted on a lightweight 308 with 20" thin barrel makes a neat and handy Whacker. I do have a pile of 3-15. For $559ish on Tax Day/Labor Day/Black Friday...it's a shit ton of bang for buck. But he didn't ask for suggestions....lol

Boardmstr

FNG
My gen 1 pst worked on my 338 lapua to get me a bear at 500yds last year. All I did was mount it, zero it, and hunt. Same scope is on my 15lb 6.5 creedmoor and suffers from the zero walking throughout the year as I use it. Generally spinning the turrets is what throws the zero off. When I shoot PRS matches with it I can notice my dope change towards the end of the match and afterwards when I recheck my zero it is always off. Seems to track correctly and for limited hunting use I think it would be a good scope.

For your application I would go pst, amg, or razor. The lesser lines I would just check your zero on a regular basis or before every hunt...then don't touch it!
Have you tried sending it in to be corrected? I’ve had good luck with the Razor line holding up to heavy recoil but don’t use them for hunting due to weight.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I gave my experiences and let the OP use it at his discretion. For what it is I don't dislike the scope, would I buy one again certainly not. If budget limited OP to this certain model I don't think it would be a bad buy. Limited use it has seemed solid like I stated, heavy use it starts losing it so take this how you will. Some people don't mind checking zero every so often, others demand perfection. All depends on what a person wants. Before this scope I had a leupold 3xv-L scope and that walked zero worse when I dialed elevation. At a lower price point there will always be setbacks. Be sure to expect some when purchasing any "lower end" optic.

Also OP specifically mentioned vortex so I won't derail with throwing 5 other manufactures at him. I have seen the pst work flawlessly on a 300 win mag as well so take that into consideration as well. There's bad apples in every bunch. Personally for a magnum rifle I would look into a higher end optic but that is not a reality for some people and we need to respect that.

Ok? I’m still trying to grasp how anyone would be “ok” with an aiming device that doesn’t stay aimed...?

My car randomly shuts off while driving... but it’s not bad. My toaster burns the toast for no reason every other morning... but it’s good?

Have you tried sending it in to be corrected? I’ve had good luck with the Razor line holding up to heavy recoil but don’t use them for hunting due to weight.
I’ll send it in this off season possibly. It’s been back there before for issues as well. Doesn’t bother me too much right now.
Ok? I’m still trying to grasp how anyone would be “ok” with an aiming device that doesn’t stay aimed...?

My car randomly shuts off while driving... but it’s not bad. My toaster burns the toast for no reason every other morning... but it’s good?
All depends on what you’re willing to put up with. Any other analogies you want to come up with? Seems to be getting a bit off topic here I feel. If I spent $2k-$3k on a higher end optic and it was acting the same way I would probably be as bent out of shape as you. I paid $450 for this scope and it works for what I use it for. I have plans to upgrade but for now I deal with it.

Like stated let the OP take comments into his own discretion. Perhaps you could add in a helpful comment to the OP like “Based off Quicksilver’s results, I would not recommend running that scope since it has trouble holding zero with repeated use.” Seems like that would provide a lot of structure compared to the dead horse you seem to be beating.

Boardmstr

FNG

The majority of aiming devices out there don’t stay aimed when you really put them to use. $450 is a steal for something that works for someone and has their guarantee to fix it.

I had a catastrophic failure of a very established brand known for both higher quality and price than Vortex. The company took care of me and I’d have no problem recommending that scope nor will I bash anyone else if they do.

He gave both his experience and opinion for someone asking. Ease up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The majority of aiming devices out there don’t stay aimed when you really put them to use. $450 is a steal for something that works for someone and has their guarantee to fix it.

I had a catastrophic failure of a very established brand known for both higher quality and price than Vortex. The company took care of me and I’d have no problem recommending that scope nor will I bash anyone else if they do.

Ease up? I asked for clarification. Are you saying we shouldn’t question a statement such as “it doesn’t work as designed, but I recommend it”? If so why?

Saying a product doesn’t work, and giving an excuse for it is ludicrous, but that’s not what I was asking about. I genuinely want to know the mentality and thought process that would have an item that doesn’t work yet still recommending it.

As for the majority of $450 aiming devices not working when really put to use... Why is anyone still buying them then? When individuals stop buying scopes that don’t work and making excuses for them (of all price ranges), and demand that manufacturers build them correctly we’ll get optics that do what a scope is supposed to do- steer bullets. There are sub $300 scopes that are extremely reliable and there is no reason to except a scope that sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Yea sorry bud I can a big heaping pile of BS on this. All they guarantee is that they will replace their broken sub-par scope with another sub-par sure to fail scope. While everything will break eventually lets not start off saying that I'm going to use a bad scope because its going to break anyways.

Sometimes things break. There is a distinct difference between a scope that might break one day and one that is known to fail

He also admitted that the scope in question doesn't function properly and has failed on him and Form asked why he would still recommended that scope knowing the failure. Any amount of research will show you vortex scopes aren't the best quality. Short of the Razor. There are other scopes out there that are better quality for the same money. Who wants to spend 50k on a kia when there is a 50K caddy right next to it.

If anybody missed it, my clarification earlier was for minimal use yes I would recommend it since it has proven itself for that. I don’t dislike the scope for what it is. If you are looking to get a lot of range time or competition with it no I would not recommend it. You want to zero it and and throw it in the safe until next hunting season then it should serve your needs well. Plan is to replace it with possibly a NF NX8 soon but for now I’ll keep using it and enjoying shooting.

Hope we can all settle down now:ROFLMAO:

did you harvest that animal you were aiming at when it failed ?

If anybody missed it, my clarification earlier was for minimal use yes I would recommend it since it has proven itself for that. I don’t dislike the scope for what it is. If you are looking to get a lot of range time or competition with it no I would not recommend it. You want to zero it and and throw it in the safe until next hunting season then it should serve your needs well. Plan is to replace it with possibly a NF NX8 soon but for now I’ll keep using it and enjoying shooting.

Hope we can all settle down now:ROFLMAO:
YOUR statement, YOUR mindset … Personally, if it fails once for me there are plenty more to try