vortex scopes

Hi guys I am looking for some advice on vortex scopes. How much difference is there between the viper models and the Diamondback ? I am looking specifically At the 6x24 models. Are the vipers worth the extra cost? Thanks

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I would say yes. I had a diamondback that I put on a 22 and it failed to make it through an entire year. I put a Viper HS 2.5-10x44 on my girlfriend's 7mm08 and so far it has performed much more reliably. That being said, I've become very hesitant to buy much from Vortex recently, I've now sent back 1 riflescope for warranty and 2 spotting scopes.

Rob5589

WKR
I have a lower end model (can't recall which one) 4-12 on my .17 HMR and have no issues.
Used an original Viper 6.5-20 on a match gun, no issues.
Used 3 original PST's, 2 were the 6-24, 1 was the 4-16. The 4-16 and one of the 6-24 went back for debris that was seen in the glass. Didn't affect function but was annoying.
Used the original 5-20 Razor on a match gun and it was flawless.
Currently using a Viper HS 4-16 without an issue.
For a centerfire rifle I would not use anything below the Viper line.

OXN939

WKR
Hi guys I am looking for some advice on vortex scopes. How much difference is there between the viper models and the Diamondback ? I am looking specifically At the 6x24 models. Are the vipers worth the extra cost? Thanks

You'll get a lot of negative feedback about Vortex Riflescopes on here. I actually like their optics a lot and think they're a great company, but concur with the advice to avoid their Philippine and China-made riflescopes, which means all of the Crossfire, Viper and Diamondback lines. I've owned multiple scopes from the latter two of these, and thought the optical quality was pretty good, but had several POI shifts on guns that did nothing but sit in a climate controlled safe that nobody other than myself had access to.

Their spotters, binos and Japanese-made riflescopes (Razor line) have been great in my experience, but I got rid of all my Diamondbacks after the POI shifts happened.

OP
C
I have a lower end model (can't recall which one) 4-12 on my .17 HMR and have no issues.
Used an original Viper 6.5-20 on a match gun, no issues.
Used 3 original PST's, 2 were the 6-24, 1 was the 4-16. The 4-16 and one of the 6-24 went back for debris that was seen in the glass. Didn't affect function but was annoying.
Used the original 5-20 Razor on a match gun and it was flawless.
Currently using a Viper HS 4-16 without an issue.
For a centerfire rifle I would not use anything below the Viper line.
Thanks for the info

OP
C
You'll get a lot of negative feedback about Vortex Riflescopes on here. I actually like their optics a lot and think they're a great company, but concur with the advice to avoid their Philippine and China-made riflescopes, which means all of the Crossfire, Viper and Diamondback lines. I've owned multiple scopes from the latter two of these, and thought the optical quality was pretty good, but had several POI shifts on guns that did nothing but sit in a climate controlled safe that nobody other than myself had access to.

Their spotters, binos and Japanese-made riflescopes (Razor line) have been great in my experience, but I got rid of all my Diamondbacks after the POI shifts happened.
Ok thanks for the good advice i appreciate your info

ZackP

WKR
I’ve had great luck with their Diamondback HP series which was made in the Philippines. Decent glass and tracks repeatedly out to 500 and back (even though they’re not necessarily scopes meant for repeated dialing). As far as the Chinese Diamondback I would go a different route for sure. I’ve also ran quite a few Gen 1 PST scopes with no issues.

I've got Vipers on 3 guns and have had good luck with all 3. Clear, easy controls, and hold their zero, not quite as clear as my buddy's Swarovski, but a whole lot cheaper.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m a fan. I’ve never had an issue with the few I have and frequently recommended them. Plus I get 40% cause I’m military. I can’t compare with other big names but I don’t feel like my vortex’s lack anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanks

FNG
pretty big difference but there is also a huge difference between viper and razor

Blanks

FNG
That being said, the Gen 1 PST's are on clearance for about 500 bucks in a lot of places

Shooter45

FNG
I've got Vipers on a few hunting rifles and have great luck with them. Decent enough glass for the price and the price point when I got them was a great value. Been using one on my 338 Win Mag for quite a while, 10 years I believe. Maintains zero and has tracked accurately when changing reloads.

Glass wise the Vipers are better than the Diamondbacks; big step up in quality at the Razor level. Do be aware of potential quality control issues with the Diamondback and Viper lines.

I have a few 5 year old Diamondback and Viper scopes, plus a pair of Viper HR binoculars, and they are still going strong. My Razor LHs have been rock solid despite being used hard with a lot of dialing. With the exception of my Razor LHs, everything else purchased the past few years has failed. Here are three examples:

Viper HS: Came back from a hunt where it was on and then it was off once home. Redid the mount job (several times) and could not get enough elevation to get to 100 yards. Sent it in and they blamed the rifle (combo was shooting 0.4 MOA to 500 yards before the issue). They said they did zero it at 100 yards on their side and everything was good. Crazy part was the scope came back at the same elevation as when I sent it to them; I left it at max elevation. They were either considerate or 100 yards in WI is the same as 775 yards in AZ.

Viper HS LR: Not enough elevation to get to a 100 yards zero; had 3 different people mount it and all got the same results. Vortex again said it was my rifle's fault. Put a Razor LH on the same rifle and had no issues. Put the HS LR on another rifle. Still not enough elevation for 100 yards so grabbed a 20 MOA base to act as a "band aid". Sold that rifle and scope.

Diamondback: First shot at the range (6.5 CM) and one of the internal lenses came loose. It went horizontal. Vortex confirmed the fault. They sent me the damaged scope back without fixing it. They did ultimately send me a fully functional scope. This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It is great to hear folks have a positive experiences with their warranty. However, based upon my personal experiences I no longer consider Vortex for any optics purchase unless it is their Razor line.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 4-12x40mm diamondback fail on a .243 and two in a row on a 7mm rem mag. I’ve had good luck with my Razor spotter for the past four years🤞. My Burris fullfield II that was on my 7mm for 11 years never gave me any trouble. I think the lower model vortex lines are a crap shoot. Just my experience, good luck.

I have a HST and a Burris XTR II, both power-up into the mid/low-20's. The Burris is my preference, as it seems to be more forgiving as far as my eye placement goes (front/back/side/side). Clarity is a wash. Both fog up and are a huge pain in awful weather, but I think that's the same for just about anything. They'll both shoot lights-out. POI's have never moved.

Man, anyone have good stories about Vortex? I just put a Viper HS on a new Tikka and I don't want worry and regret!

JNDEER

WKR
Had Diamondback 4-12 on my 7mm for around 10 years with zero issues. No debris, no failure, and would shoot as well as I could shoot it every year. Gun was used a lot from sep deer through winter pig hunts. Only issue was early morning late evening clearity. Cost me a buck so I moved to the viper HS. Glass is better, but not overly fantastic. Long range clearity is better though. Been filling tags during archery season last few years so less rifle use, but I have not had this scope fail on me either.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They have the best warranty!!!!.....that you’ll probably have to use....

unfortunately, even the best warranties are useless when the scope breaks in the field.

I was just at vortex talking woth my friend and looking through scopes there. Id definatly say go with the viper or even razor model if its in your price range. Also my buddy mentioned to put on the beefier scope rings to ensure nothing moves. If this is for hunting id strongly urge you to consider the 3-15x44 range. Its quite a bit less bulky and looking at 500-600 yards youd have no issue killing a deer or elk at 15x. And in heavy timber the 3x might be a game changer in comparison to 6x. But thats all preference.