Vortex Spotter

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at possibly ordering the Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 spotting scope. Have any of you had any experience with this one? Is there another option out there in it's price range? I've never owned a spotting scope but I have always wanted one and, despite my love for them, my Leica 10x25 binos are slightly inadequate for long range work. Right now I can get this one with a straight eye piece for under $600 shipped.

krummholz

FNG
I am considering picking up this scope as well and would love to hear opinions from anybody who has been able to use one. Doesn't seem to be any reviews yet, at least that I have been able to find.

ElkNut1

WKR
I used this Spotter all last year! Of course I did??? (grin) This years is the Razor HD !!

I used it on our Deer & Elk hunts! I also used it sighting in our rifles in case they were needed! We could easily sight in at 500yds & use this Spotter to locate bullet holes in white paper or cardboard, impressive at that distance, sdaved a lot of leg work! I had the lesser Spotter there the Nomad, it was good to 400yds & then it blurred out. We did not go beyond 500yds with Viper HD 15-45X65 but it appeared we could have as the clarity was excellent!

On our deer hunts we were spotting deer & sizing them up in the 2-3 mile range, we could even pick up spike deer at those distances & separate them from the does.

On our elk hunts we used the spotter mostly from dirt roads & glassed huge basins & burn areas late evenings, we did not pack it with us. We picked up a whole lot of critters doing this & had zero issues with it even in extreme low light! This Spotter is perfectly clear from edge to edge, it does not shadow or blur on the edges like spotters without ED. It's as clear on the sides as in the middle, this is one thing that stood out for us! All in all, great little spotter & yes it's affordable. I'd use it again in a second! I'm going to the Razor this year to get a good feel for it! (grin) I've wanted to try it & will here shortly as our snows are finally receding!

ElkNut1

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks ElkNut1 for the info. Do you know if it's tripod mount is compatible with Manfrotto tripods? I already have one of those for my camera gear so it would be a bonus if it did :)

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, it is compatible! I have a manfrotto tripod head too & I can click on any of the Vortex Spotters to it. Actually Vortex sells this head I have!

ElkNut1

krummholz

FNG
Thanks for the info Elknut1, sounds like it might be a good option! Must stay pretty clear at the higher magnification if you can pick out spikes at 2-3 miles. My current scope works great at 15X, but not so great when I zoom in.

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
krummholz, if you're going to get one pm ElkNut. He is $20 cheaper than where I ordered mine. Dang it!

I've got the Viper HD 65mm from elknut. This thing is a REALLY NICE SPOTTER for the price. You cannot beat it man. It is crystal clear. I have it set up next to my buddies leica Televid APO 77mm spotter and are almost equal! The leica is about 5 years old, but they are equal except at lower light conditions and that has to do with his objective being 77mm vs the 65mm. You can't go wrong with the spotter man you'll love it.

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
A watched tracking number never boils, or grows no moss, or something.... it's supposed to get here Monday.

Hardstalk

WKR
Ive got one been using it for the past few months i got the angled eyepiece for 475 new to my door. Satisfied with every penny spent its super clear at full zoom comes with a real nice neoprene case. Only downside thus far is extreme heat anything above 95 or so and the heat waves rool in pretty thick. All in all love the scope great bang for the buck and includes everything i need in a high powered scope.