Vortex spotting scopes

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a vortex spotting scopes. Cant decide between the razor 11x33x50 or the viper 15x45x65. Looking for a scope I can spot from a distance but also carry in my pack? Any thoughts?

Geewhiz

WKR
My advice, go big or go home. The extra weight of my razor 85 is worth every oz when it comes to sitting down and using the thing.

That being said, I haven't personally used the 11-33x50 so I cant attest to that one.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just a suggestion:

Have you seen this Athlon Ares 15-45x65 ED Spotter review here on RokSlide https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/athlon-ares-65mm-full-review.136883/ or this one over on 24HourCampfire https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12388847/spotting-scope-review

Also, think about the Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 ED Spotting Scope which was $699.99, on sale for $499.99 and we will be offering it through Christmas, to the members here, for only $449.99. I think you'll find it superior to the little Razor spotter.

OH, and if you want the Ares, call us for special pricing on that as well

Last edited:

Firehawk

WKR
Looking at getting a vortex spotting scopes. Cant decide between the razor 11x33x50 or the viper 15x45x65. Looking for a scope I can spot from a distance but also carry in my pack? Any thoughts?
I used a Viper (Pre HD) 15-45x65 for years. It was a good and very servicable scope. I did however, wish it was smaller. The Razor was better in that regard and had a better view. If you can swing it, go to the Razor in the 65mm offering if you have to stay Vortex.

I do have to agree with Doug though. The Athlon Ares (I had the Cabela's branded version) 15-45x65 was superior to the Vortex Razor that I had purchased in most ways. Definitely sharper and easier to resolve at distance. For the cost of the Ares, I would jump on that one. You will get a smaller frame which is much easier to pack, and a view on par if not a bit better than the Razor 16-48x65.

Good luck and have fun. This stuff is fun to discover, even if a bit expensive over time. ;)

HuntWyld

WKR
I would avoid the 50mm razor it’s light but the usable magnification is barely more than good 10x42s on a tripod

First off, what kind of binos do you have now? Do you run them on a tripod? If you have good binos already I would try and save up and get either a used swaro or leica. The vortex products I have had have all failed me at some point so I'll be staying away from them in the future. I think your are better off getting top tier binos and putting them on a good tripod than spending money on a spotter. Just my opinion.

OP
L

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
First off, what kind of binos do you have now? Do you run them on a tripod? If you have good binos already I would try and save up and get either a used swaro or leica. The vortex products I have had have all failed me at some point so I'll be staying away from them in the future. I think your are better off getting top tier binos and putting them on a good tripod than spending money on a spotter. Just my opinion.
Thanks I have been looking at the maven binos as well. Any thoughts on decent binos

What sort of hunting are you doing? I’ve gone from a 15-30 to a 16-48 to a 20sething to 65x88 and now I’m heading back to the 11-33 razor. The 11-33 meets my needs just fine as did the others. If I was hunting somewhere else then maybe a bigger scope. For now I’ll be happy with the 11-33

I’ve yet to see a vortex spotter that was clear much above minimum zoom. And I owned a 85mm Razor HD.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I have the razor 11-33 and bought some meopta 15s that I think are better then the spotter even with less magnification.

The vortex is handy and light. I’ve had to send it back twice for warranty.

I’d listen to the recommendations here if I could do it over again.

22lr

WKR
I have the Viper 65mm and love it. Weight is the biggest downside. The Razor is definitely better glass, but money talks sometimes so I stuck with the Viper. I've used it a good bit this year, and my only gripe is probably the weight for what your getting.

As a FYI, you should not be paying MRSP for Vortex, you can easily find used/reurbs or units on sale for some significant discounts.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Great question! If both are in the budget, I would go with the Razor HD 11-33x50. It is going to be lighter weight and give you a step up optically (better clarity, resolution, and low-light performance).

If you have any questions on our spotters, don't hesitate to reach out!

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Great question! If both are in the budget, I would go with the Razor HD 11-33x50. It is going to be lighter weight and give you a step up optically (better clarity, resolution, and low-light performance).

If you have any questions on our spotters, don't hesitate to reach out!

I have a question.... is Vortex going to refresh the baby Razor anytime soon?? ;)

I would agree on the 11-33x50 between those two scopes, it's an impressive little scope for the price.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a question.... is Vortex going to refresh the baby Razor anytime soon?? ;)

I would agree on the 11-33x50 between those two scopes, it's an impressive little scope for the price.
I'm not aware of any plans to at this time! I think that would be really cool though. I'll definitely pass the request along, my friend! 😉

kaboku68

WKR
I'm not aware of any plans to at this time! I think that would be really cool though. I'll definitely pass the request along, my friend! 😉
Hey, Graham. Could you get Dave Hamilton to come on here and talk about 18650 batteries and how to lighten pack weights. That would be cool. I also think that you folks should come up with a RRS type of tripod/gun saddle combo with a fourth back rest leg for your bigger LR shooting systems.
A 10X32 / 8X32 Razor HD series of binos with good eye relief and FOV would sell like crack up here in Alaska.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey, Graham. Could you get Dave Hamilton to come on here and talk about 18650 batteries and how to lighten pack weights. That would be cool. I also think that you folks should come up with a RRS type of tripod/gun saddle combo with a fourth back rest leg for your bigger LR shooting systems.
A 10X32 / 8X32 Razor HD series of binos with good eye relief and FOV would sell like crack up here in Alaska.
Hey there - I'll definitely let Dave know that he has been summoned! 😉That would be pretty cool to discuss!

Thanks for the feedback on the binos - anytime we can hear what our customer's are looking for is always appreciated!

As far as the tripods go, stay tuned 😉I can't go in to too much detail at this time, but you won't be disappointed.

87TT

WKR
My 11x33 lives in my pack or truck box. It can see farther than I usually want to walk.........But will.