Vortex to Kowa

AK86

FNG
I've got a vortex viper spotting scope. Was looking to upgrade to the razor. A buddy has a Leupold SX-5 that is really nice. Of course the razor & SX-5 will be 85mm objective. Who has went from either of the razor or Leaupold to the Kowa saw a huge difference. I need better clarity then the Viper gives for counting tines on moose and spotting impacts for long range shooting.

tdhanses

WKR
Which Kowa? But really you’ll see an improvement with any kowa other then the 502.

I went from a Vortex Razor to a Vanguard Endeavor to a Swaro 80 hd to a Kowa 55 & 77, the Kowa’s to me have been the best.

OP
A

AK86

FNG
I'm looking at the 773. Just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$.

ZackP

WKR
I'm looking at the 773. Just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$.

Only you can decide if it’s worth the extra coin, given your usage and budget, and if it pays for itself, given how many days a year you will use it.

Is the 773 better? YUP. By a long shot. FWIW I also prefer the Kowa over the ATS HD Swaro.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kowa has certainly earned their fine reputation for excellent optics. As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

huntnful

WKR
Call camera land and order it from them. You won’t regret the deal, or that 77 Kowa. Better glass than my swaro, I only stayed with swaro for a couple of weird reasons. But it wasn’t the glass lol

Leupold and Vortex aren’t in the same ballpark as Kowa. Kowa can hang with the big dogs all day. I spent a couple days comparing the Swaro ATX 85 vs the Kowa 88 and I ended up with the Kowa. The Meopta S2 is another very nice spotter to consider that punches well above its price point

idcuda

WKR
I went from a Vortex razor 65mm to a 773...well worth it. Antler details went from fuzzy to clear.

Yeah it is, really for it’s price you can’t do better.
i agree, they make an insanely nice spotter for the money... the razor spotters i have used, including the one i owned for a bit were like everything i have had from vortex.... a short lived experience followed by an upgrade.... nothing wrong with vortex stuff, but nothing of theirs can hang with the better glass available... kowa on the other hand has impressed me a bunch, their high end glass is the only glass i have used that i feel performs well above it's price point.

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
Which Kowa? But really you’ll see an improvement with any kowa other then the 502.

I went from a Vortex Razor to a Vanguard Endeavor to a Swaro 80 hd to a Kowa 55 & 77, the Kowa’s to me have been the best.
Well I appreciate the all the feedback and think I'm convinced it would be a waste of time to buy a Vortex or Leupold and will be buying the 773. Thanks again for the feed back.
How would the Zeiss conquest 85 do
Next to the kowa 773?

tdhanses

WKR
How would the Zeiss conquest 85 do
Next to the kowa 773?
I’m not sure but the Kowa is equal for some and better for other‘s then the swaro ats/sts hd, so maybe see how it compares to the swaro.

Oh wait that’s the conquest, the Kowa will be better.

Just ordered the 773. Looking forward seeing how it performs.
i currently don't have a need for a spotter, but when i get the itch again, that's exactly what i'm buying. you are going to be stoked with that decision. i prefer it to the ATS, and it's another level compared to the razor.... big step up

Out of curiosity, how did the vanguard stack up against the others given its value? I’m strongly considering getting a vanguard or an athlon ares.