Vortex UHD 12X50

270quest

WKR
I had to dump a pair of Toric UHD 12.5X50 because my IPD distance too close to use them comfortably and be able to mount on a tripod, so I was going to go back to 10x42's and buck up for some SLCs...

Yet I really would like the extra magnification of 12s. I notice the Vortex UHD 12x have an IPD minimum of 56 (tracts were 58). My concern is if I can close them enough to fit and still mount on a tripod using the binocular hinge??? Also curious if the vortex design (slimmer tubes then reaching 50mm at the end would help in this issue?

Lastly, has anyone ran these and have any good or bad to say about them? Especially as it come to tripod use.

I have the same problem with my 15x56s. There isn't a stud/post style bino adapter that allows my binos to close enough to accommodate my narrow IPD. Outdoorsmans sent me their ring adapter which is working the best but I don't see one for 50mm. It utilizes a super thin rolled aluminum collar/sleeve that goes around the objective end of one bino barrel. This allows my bino barrels to almost touch within about 1mm.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/all/products/outdoorsmans-ring-adapter-56mm

You may want to call them and see if maybe the 45mm or 56mm can accommodate a 50mm bino.

If that doesn't work I was going to give the Leupold Bino Tripod Adapter Tray a try. It's only $20, as opposed to the more expensive trays which range anywhere from $40-$120, and has good reviews. It utilizes cloth/velco straps which should last longer than the rubber style of the more expensive trays.

Good luck and please let us know what you end up with!

Tahoe1305

WKR
I think the design would help with your issue when using the vortex adapter or a outdoorsman.

I liked my UHDs very much. Also check the specs of the Meostar 12x50 those are good too.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Never have looked through Torics. But the design of the UHDs allow you to mount a adapter between the tubes and get the objectives to touch minimizing pupil distance.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Yes I could close the barrels to touch and it would fit my eyes - but no chance for an adaptor and if they open the slightest amount it’s to wide.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I tried the Vortex at Sportsman’s today - those suckers are made for narrow IPDs....they fit and had extra room to close. Plenty of room for a tripod adaptor....these may be my next binos.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Good to hear. They are impressive. You can sometimes find newish on here for $1200 or so.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I bit the bullet and they are on their way...Used some discount codes and other shady ways - lol - and got them for just shy of $1400 shipped. Should have them in a week. Will do an extensive review on them with and without a tripod.