Vortex UHD vs Swarovski

I haven't looked through the UHD, but I'm familiar with binos that use the Abbe Koenig system. What you get in optical quality, you're giving up in form factor IMO. The UHDs are big, just like some of the Mavens (same AK system).

Compliments of S&S Archery. They did a review.

View attachment 140868
That alone is enough to make me never buy bins with AK prisms. There isn't enough optical benefit to offset the size and weight penalty IMO. Maybe for truck bins, but otherwise no thanks.

Lots of talk throughout the forum on resell values. Is that just group-think here or common among hunters? I also frequent a few ski and MTB forums and it doesn't seem to be as big of a theme.

When I buy something big ticket (cars, skis, bikes, guns), I buy based on lots of factors of how it fits my needs and how I'll enjoy it, but I can't say resell value is much of a factor. I buy things to use them up.

22lr

WKR
Lots of talk throughout the forum on resell values. Is that just group-think here or common among hunters? I also frequent a few ski and MTB forums and it doesn't seem to be as big of a theme.

When I buy something big ticket (cars, skis, bikes, guns), I buy based on lots of factors of how it fits my needs and how I'll enjoy it, but I can't say resell value is much of a factor. I buy things to use them up.

Depends on the buyer. Me, I don't usually worry about that. But I don't like upgrading things for the sake of upgrading. Some people like the latest and greatest, but I am usually the kind of consumer that will let a few generations pass on a product line before I really worry about upgrading. Not knocking the guys that do, im just not one of those.

For example, phones. I only upgrade my Samsung every 3 to 4 model upgrades. For me it works great, I have never broken a phone and if I just wait for 3 model cycles to pass I can get a legitimate upgrade, not just a slightly refreshed model. The tech world is the most visible for this, but hunting has it as well. Some people want the best gear they can find, some are more adapt to suck it up a few more years before dropping the money on the upgrade. If you like updating your gear, resell value is a very big deal. If your like me, you just accept that when you resell your older equipment, your going to get close to bottom dollar.

Depends on the buyer. Me, I don't usually worry about that. But I don't like upgrading things for the sake of upgrading. Some people like the latest and greatest, but I am usually the kind of consumer that will let a few generations pass on a product line before I really worry about upgrading. Not knocking the guys that do, im just not one of those.

For example, phones. I only upgrade my Samsung every 3 to 4 model upgrades. For me it works great, I have never broken a phone and if I just wait for 3 model cycles to pass I can get a legitimate upgrade, not just a slightly refreshed model. The tech world is the most visible for this, but hunting has it as well. Some people want the best gear they can find, some are more adapt to suck it up a few more years before dropping the money on the upgrade. If you like updating your gear, resell value is a very big deal. If your like me, you just accept that when you resell your older equipment, your going to get close to bottom dollar.

Makes sense.

7Bro

FNG
Can anybody tell me where the UHD is made?
Thanks!

With a debate at all between UHD and SLC, there may be no question based on origin..

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Can anybody tell me where the UHD is made?
Thanks!

With a debate at all between UHD and SLC, there may be no question based on origin..
The Razor UHD binoculars are manufactured in Japan.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just a heads up, we just put all the full size Leica Ultravids on sale through December 3rd for Black Friday
smile

Has anyone here spent some time using Vortex UHD binos or Swarovski binos. How do the UHD compare to swarovski?
Drew,
Sorry to raise this from the dead, but I wanted to add to this thread. Understand when comparing optics is they ALL share the same clarity inside the store under the bath of artificial fluorescent lighting; don't bother comparing them in that metric.

I own the Razor HDs in 8x42 & 10x50, UHDs in 12x50 and ELs in 10x42 and 12x50. I'm not comparing HDs & UHDs to SLCs as SLCs are not considered Swaros top shelf glass as Razors are to Vortex.

The Razors are excellent in daytime image quality and good in lowlight gathering. But their edge-to-egde clarity is subpar, even blurry; this is undisputed. It is not an issue if your style of hunting is for high image quality fast looks from the harness when moving through country. It becomes an unforgivable issue if sitting behind them, stationary on a tripod, gridding and picking apart hillsides using your eyes looking around in the glass within it's field of view.

The ELs do not suffer from this in any way. Not only are they brighter in lowlight, but they cannot be beat in edge-to-edge clarity; meaning less moving of the binos during long gridding sessions on distant hillsides, meaning picking up more of what you're looking for with far less work. This is the point of high-quality western glassing and you will know where your money went after just a few mornings and evenings behind them. I cannot stress the point enough of being able to see clearly from edge-to-edge when glassing for any length of time.

If run-and-gun through open ravine country during the day is your style of hunting, you'd be covered with any of the Razor products. If picking apart distant hillsides in lowlight conditions are your style, then you need to invest in the ELs.

Last edited: