Vortex Viper 10x42 vs Maven c1

OP
N
I’m going to be hunting white tails in the woods. Do you think a 10x42 is overkill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to be hunting white tails in the woods. Do you think a 10x42 is overkill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I personally don't like 10s for tree stand hunting in the timber. I use 8s almost exclusively. My 8s are much more compact and light. I have cheap ones (vortex diamondback hd) that I don't mind beating up a little bit. They are plenty powerful to glass as far as I can see in the timber.

Spot and stalk is a different story though. I'll grab my 10s every time. They are more clear and when I need to pick apart a thicket bedding area where I think a deer might be hiding, it's nice to have that extra magnification.

Sent from my N1374DL using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
I can't hold a 10x steady enough without a tripod. I am always better off with an 8x it seems, unless it is only on a tripod. I even had a 10x Swarovski EL that I just sold because I can't keep them steady. So I would definitely go 8x if given the choice.

Firehawk

WKR
So...Maven just announced the C1 on sale for 25% off through Cyber Monday. That makes them cheaper than the Viper. With new knowledge that the Viper that Cabelas has on sale is the old version with a narrower FOV, I would go the Maven C1 without any hesitation and save about $30.

rbi2210

FNG
I just ordered the Vipers from Cabela’s before seeing this post. I’m going to order the C1’s to compare the two and return one of them.

Firehawk

WKR
I just ordered the Vipers from Cabela’s before seeing this post. I’m going to order the C1’s to compare the two and return one of them.
I would love to hear your report between them. Fun to compare optics in my opinion. I enjoy that type of activity.

Superdoo

WKR
So...Maven just announced the C1 on sale for 25% off through Cyber Monday. That makes them cheaper than the Viper. With new knowledge that the Viper that Cabelas has on sale is the old version with a narrower FOV, I would go the Maven C1 without any hesitation and save about $30.
I’m not seeing a discount. Is there a code?

rbi2210

FNG
11/24-11/29 according to this thread….

nobody

WKR
Someone posted a similar question asking if there was anything comparable to the viper at the sale price. The maven C1's are worth a look in that same price range as the viper, for sure. I ran mine last season and was happy with them, and my hunting partner and good friend ran vipers. We compared them side by side, and there was essentially zero difference optically. The C1 has a narrower field of view, but the clarity and contrast were basically the same, and the C1's are going on sale for 25% off for black friday weekend.

Something I just didn't love about the C1 is the polymer housing. I know polymer's have improved in recent years, but it just doesn't seem as robust as something with a magnesium chassis. The vipers have the magnesium chassis, so that may be something to consider if it's important to you??

At the end of the day, we didn't feel handicapped by either pair of binoculars and didn't really feel like we were missing anything until we both upgraded significantly this season. My buddy bought some used 10x56 Zeiss Night Owl's for a screaming deal, and I picked up the new Vortex Razor UHD 10x50's about a week after they released them. We've legitimately gained about a half hour in the morning and a half hour in the evening of glassing light, and we can both glass for significantly longer spans of time before taking a break.

Something to consider is keeping what you have, saving for 6 months, and then buying a really big jump in quality and performance and stop looking around for something better. Whether it's the C1's or the viper's, you'll probably be back on here asking opinions on the next tier of binoculars looking to upgrade.

rbi2210

FNG
Someone posted in another thread that they picked up the Vipers from Cabela’s yesterday. They said they were the Philippines version with the larger FOV despite being advertised as the narrower FOV MIC version. The pair I ordered are supposed to arrive today. I will report back when I receive them.

rbi2210

FNG
Currently sitting on stand for the first day of PA rifle season with my old diamondbacks. The Vipers still did not arrive.

rbi2210

FNG
My Vipers finally arrived today after a crazy shipping track. I live in PA. They shipped from WV then went to Ohio to PA to Illinois to Wisconsin and finally back to PA. I can confirm that the FOV is 341 feet according to the box and assembled in the Philippines. Perhaps someone in the Basspro marketing dept typed 314 instead of 341 under the description??? Unfortunately I just got home from work so I will not be able to test them until tomorrow.