Vortex Viper 3-9x40 - worth the sale price ($199)?

Seems like a lot of scope for 200 bucks. Weight isn't too bad either. Thoughts?

I'm leery of anything Vortex these days, but usually the Viper and Razor lines aren't bad.

EdP

WKR
Sounds like a very good price to me. I would not touch the Crossfire line made in China, but I have a Viper and 2 Diamondback HPs (made in the Philippines) that I am happy with at the price. Not as good as my Leupolds but not as expensive either.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Sounds like a very good price to me. I would not touch the Crossfire line made in China, but I have a Viper and 2 Diamondback HPs (made in the Philippines) that I am happy with at the price. Not as good as my Leupolds but not as expensive either.
So the Viper is made in the Phillipines? I've had pretty good luck with MIP optics actually. Which Leupy are you comparing it to?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a lot of scope for 200 bucks. Weight isn't too bad either. Thoughts?

I'm leery of anything Vortex these days, but usually the Viper and Razor lines aren't bad.
Spend the extra $29 and grab the 2.5-10x44 HS instead.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage

Laramie

WKR
I have one on a spare gun that I loan out frequently. It has held zero perfectly and is pretty dang good glass for that money.

EdP

WKR
I have a VX-R 3-9 that is no longer offered by Leupold and a VX-Freedom 4-12. Both are better glass than the Vortex but a good jump in price.

For $200 it’s a good buy if you needed a new scope. Recently upgraded from a Viper but held its zero the entire time I had it.

What I have took a hit and no longer works so I couldn’t really sit on the fence too long. Holiday pricing suckered me in. Now the issue will be getting a new scope sighted in without running out of ammo.

What I have took a hit and no longer works so I couldn’t really sit on the fence too long. Holiday pricing suckered me in. Now the issue will be getting a new scope sighted in without running out of ammo.
It should work out well for you. Even though Vortex isn’t seen as the pinnacle of rifle scopes, their customer service cannot be beat if something were to go wrong with it or stops working.

What's your method? Most re-zero's take me less than 4 rounds. Sometimes 2.
I’m not nearly that efficient because I don’t really have a method. I’m 99% bow hunter and, although I shoot my rifles, I don’t mess with the long guns a whole lot. Last time I had to zero a new scope was over 12 years ago. The one I’m replacing with this has been dead set for over twenty years. I check them every year and kill animals with them every year but don’t have to mess with them the way I use them.

Moserkr

WKR
Few years back I was comparing a $200 vortex to an entry level gold ring luepold. Luepold was obviously brighter, more crisp, and clear. Easy choice that Ive been very happy with ever since. If you can compare side by side thats obviously best.

OP
Newtosavage
AF, about 30 years ago there was an article in (I think) Outdoor Life or Field and Stream magazine titled "one shot zero." The method it describes involves bore sighting first (if you have a bolt action), then taking a single shot at short range (25-30 yards), then securing your rifle in a vise or another solid mount, then turning the elevation and windage to move the crosshairs to the hole you just created. If you can do that without moving the rifle very much, your next shot will be very close at 100.

I've been using this method all these years and there's no telling how many 100's of rounds it's saved me in that time. I swapped a barrel the other day and had to re-zero, and I was on in just three shots total. I let the barrel cool and shot a 3-shot group to confirm, and I was done. I left the range 24 min. after I arrived.

It's a brilliant method. I've taught this to dozens of people over the years and it always opens their eyes.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be mounting this on a break action single shot so I’ll see what I can do as to bore sighting. Hopefully the new scope drops into the rings without moving the ring base. Once mounted I may have access to a lead sled and be able to get pretty close with 6 shots or less. I am already out of the ammo that seemed to shoot best with this gun so I’ll have to zero it with second choice. Maybe fine tune if the better stuff gets produced again.

I wish I was able to find the basic Leupold that I wanted but it seems like everyone is looking and not finding. I’m pretty sure the Vortex will be a step up from what I currently have so all will be good.

What ammo seemed to work best for you? Things have been stocked in stores pretty well around here depending on what caliber you have, I can always keep an eye out.