Vortex Viper Gen II scope reliability?

TheCougar

WKR
I was in the market a couple of years ago for scopes, and I ended up getting NF SHV and a Bushnell LRHS over any Vortex scopes over reviews and concerns with turret durability and consistency. I am in the market again and I was wondering if the “Gen II” scopes are any better and are worth the price point. The other alternatives are another SHV, LRHS, or maybe SWFA. I get the vortex military discount which helps, but I would rather spend an extra $300 than save the money and regret it in the long run. I am specifically looking at the Viper line, not the Razors. Thanks.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Gen 2 5-25x50 ffp mrad for about 100 rounds so far, and it holds it's zero great so far. As far as durability, only time will tell. I can say that it appears to be twice the scope, compared to the Gen 1 Viper PST's I have. Another good scope to look at might be the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 ffp mrad or moa. I have one as well, and would say it's a direct comparison to the Gen 2 pst. It seems a little more robust than the PST, but I still prefer the PST reticle.

Resized_20171222_162909 (002).jpgResized_20180530_193356.jpg

peez3006

FNG
I hope that the PST Gen 2 is a good scope. I just did a side by side comparison between the PST and the Burris XTR II. I liked different things about both scopes, and originally thought that the XTR was the scope that I wanted. But the PST was the winner. To my eyes, the PST glass was superior. And I liked the reticle better.
I felt the XTR was more robust. And I liked the turret "feel" better.
The XTR has a proven track record. I decided to take a chance on the PST. Reports are mostly positive so far. Time will tell. Honestly, I think I would have been happy with either scope.

Don Pezer

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I was in the market a couple of years ago for scopes, and I ended up getting NF SHV and a Bushnell LRHS over any Vortex scopes over reviews and concerns with turret durability and consistency. I am in the market again and I was wondering if the “Gen II” scopes are any better and are worth the price point. The other alternatives are another SHV, LRHS, or maybe SWFA. I get the vortex military discount which helps, but I would rather spend an extra $300 than save the money and regret it in the long run. I am specifically looking at the Viper line, not the Razors. Thanks.

They have problems just just like the originals. Cosmetically they are better, and maybe even a bit better mechanically, but they still aren’t reliable.

To all-

Holding a scope does not tell you whether it’s “robust” or “durable”. It might tell you if it’s cheaply made, but it can’t tell you if it works. Stop going off of feel, looks, or weight. Only shooting heavily (and no, a couple of hundred rounds isn’t heavy), working the adjustments and checking function and zero retention will let you know how a scope works. Even with that samples of one don’t really mean anything.

Scipe that have have proven to work correctly with an extremely low failure rate-

Nightforce Military scope and SHV’s.

SWFA fixed powers and HD’s.

Bushnell LRHS (the early ones were great, have seen and and heard from known people issues with the newer ones).

Tld

FNG
I have a pst gen 2 5-25 ffp on a 6.5 creed with about 600 rounds on it. Its a hunting/long range target rifle and spends alot of time getting “dialed”. Tracking has always been dead on. No complaints