Vortex Viper HD 10x42 only $299 at Cabelas

rcb2000

WKR
I'd jump on these if I wasn't about to pull the trigger on some Maven C.1's, also I'm looking for 8x42's.

Just picked them up from the store. Great deal especially if you have any cabelas points sitting around.

Anyone tested these against the C1’s?
C1's have better center resolution, but have way worse field of view (like looking through a tube). If you can get used to the tube effect, I'd take the C1's over the Vipers, and I've owned both.

Build quality on the Vipers is better with better eyecups and ergonomics. C1's feel kinda cheap in the hand, but you can't fault the optics.

Trr15

WKR
I had an older pair of Japan made Vipers and they were great binos for the price. If the quality of these is the same, that’s a solid deal.

ODB

WKR
The knurling looks like my Japanese models vs. the newer Chinese models. If that’s the case $300 is a super deal.

Anyone tested these against the C1’s?

Yep, I owned both at the same time. I have similar thoughts to @Newtosavage, and I'll add that the DOF in the C1 is also significantly worse. Everything he says is correct but I on the other hand prefer the Vipers. I really value good eyecups, ergonomics, FOV, and DOF. The C1s have great center resolution though. Just depends on what you prefer.

Yep, I owned both at the same time. I have similar thoughts to @Newtosavage, and I'll add that the DOF in the C1 is also significantly worse. Everything he says is correct but I on the other hand prefer the Vipers. I really value good eyecups, ergonomics, FOV, and DOF. The C1s have great center resolution though. Just depends on what you prefer.
Agreed. Kind of a toss up really. I value center resolution quite a bit but if I could get the C1 optical quality in the Viper build/ergo/DOF/FOV that would be a pretty nice binocular.

richrwk

FNG
If you're an Active Junky member I believe they have 12% back at Cabelas right now. I'm a member, but haven't purchased anything through them yet, so not 100% sure on how you get payout. I believe I remember hearing through PayPal.

Would make a great deal even better.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Definitely China. I just sent mine back. Not because they were made in China, but because they are not worth the price of admission even at $300. This surprised me. Years ago I handled Viper HDs and thought without a doubt they were a good buy at the $500 price point. I couldn't get a clean image with these. I have a narrow IPD and I could not get these quite tight enough for a clean image. Couple that with blurry edges and cheapened armor and I think I can do better for my backup/truck binos. These Vipers have a nicer focus knob than the Maven Cs. But that's about it.

I had some Maven B3 8x30s in my truck while testing these Vipers. The little B3s are much better at the normal Viper price point. If you don't mind using compacts.

JRMiller

WKR
Honestly I think this should the new price point for VHDs.
Especially with the UHDs out there.
I'm no optics expert, but my recent experiences with Meopta and Maven (and Nikon as well really) make it appear to me that Vortex is falling behind in the game.
I just saw new Diamondback HDs 10x42s previous week (the week before black Friday) for $149.
Like anything, their worth is what some one will pay for them, and i wouldn't pay anymore than $299 for VHDs.