Vortex Viper HD Bincoulars and Spotting Scope Review, by Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Hey fellow roksilders,

As most of you know I done my first Western Big Game Hunt this year in Eastern Montana. We were hunting Mule Deer and had great success and a great time. Robby Denning hooked me up with the 2018 Vortex Viper HD Binoculars and Spotting Scope that he done some work on last spring. He thought these would be a great choice for my eastern Montana hunt. They were! I truly couldn't have done the hunt without them.

I am working on the final review for the website and it should be up soon. This thread is for any questions you have regarding the review and/or the optics themselves! I'll also be posting up some additional photographs and info etc. as the thread progresses, thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Your review helped a lot, thanks
awesome that's what we are here for, and honestly it was my first review of true hunting equipment going into a live hunt, lol. So i put a little extra pressure on myself to get the job done too, would be kinda hard to write a review and say "hey this worked great but i didnt harvest a thing" lol Made the hunt that much more satisfying for me

Fromthedepths

Lil-Rokslider
awesome that's what we are here for, and honestly it was my first review of true hunting equipment going into a live hunt, lol. So i put a little extra pressure on myself to get the job done too, would be kinda hard to write a review and say "hey this worked great but i didnt harvest a thing" lol Made the hunt that much more satisfying for me
I've been debating what to go with for optics on my hunts this year without breaking the bank and these seem like a viable option.

I've been debating what to go with for optics on my hunts this year without breaking the bank and these seem like a viable option.

They are definitely a great bino plus Vortex's no fault/no question warranty is amazing. If you are looking for bino's within that price range I would also check out the Leica Trinovid and Zeiss Conquest HD to see which ones you prefer.

dano626

FNG
Great review....I love my 10x42 Viper's. In 3 years never had an issue. The eyecups were starting to come apart after the season ended so sent em in to Vortex who replaced them. Had them back in less than 2 weeks.

vthokee

WKR
I ordered a Viper Hd 65mm spotter on Thursday. Can’t wait to try it out. For my price range and needs I hope it fits the bill. I’ve read a lot of vortex bashing lately.

mcndrew

FNG
Thanks for the review OP!

Thanks for the other suggestions! Its always a slog sorting out what equivalent options are (glasses make trying them extra important....).

They are definitely a great bino plus Vortex's no fault/no question warranty is amazing. If you are looking for bino's within that price range I would also check out the Leica Trinovid and Zeiss Conquest HD to see which ones you prefer.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a Viper Hd 65mm spotter on Thursday. Can’t wait to try it out. For my price range and needs I hope it fits the bill. I’ve read a lot of vortex bashing lately.

Some of the the bashing is coming from people looking down their noses who own more expensive glass. I’ve tried a bunch of Vortex, (still hunt with two of their rifle scopes) and for the price point, they are good value. No, they aren’t Swaro or Leica, but they allow hunters on a budget to get into some decent glass.

Let us know how your new 65 works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philcox

WKR
@tugrivercopper if you happen to get your hands on Razor and get to compare that to Viper HD, I'd be curious. I have the Viper HD's and have thought about upgrading, but until I can get someone who has filed tested, not sure it is worth the coin. Doing a comparison in the store just can't compare to actual field time.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
@tugrivercopper if you happen to get your hands on Razor and get to compare that to Viper HD, I'd be curious. I have the Viper HD's and have thought about upgrading, but until I can get someone who has filed tested, not sure it is worth the coin. Doing a comparison in the store just can't compare to actual field time.
PM incoming