Vortex Viper HD's no longer made in China?

Perhaps this is a new development, and perhaps not, but I just picked up a brand new pair of Viper HD's from Cabelas, and they have "Assembled in the Phillipines" on them. No mention of China anywhere on the bins or the packaging.

Now, I'm not sure if this is an actual move, or not, but IMO it's a good thing since all the optics I've bought that were made in the Phillipines ( Nikon scopes, Sightron binoculars) were very good quality - much better than the made in China stuff.

Did Vortex finally get tired of the lack of quality control in the Chinese-made bins? I wouldn't blame them if they did, and moved production to the Phillipines (who has a long history of producing a quality optic). Maybe Vortex got tired of replacing bins and didn't want to change their warranty, so they had to make a move?

rodney482

WKR
My original Vipers and Razors were Japan and they were superior to the later chinese Razors.

Perhaps this is a new development, and perhaps not, but I just picked up a brand new pair of Viper HD's from Cabelas, and they have "Assembled in the Phillipines" on them. No mention of China anywhere on the bins or the packaging.

Now, I'm not sure if this is an actual move, or not, but IMO it's a good thing since all the optics I've bought that were made in the Phillipines ( Nikon scopes, Sightron binoculars) were very good quality - much better than the made in China stuff.

Did Vortex finally get tired of the lack of quality control in the Chinese-made bins? I wouldn't blame them if they did, and moved production to the Phillipines (who has a long history of producing a quality optic). Maybe Vortex got tired of replacing bins and didn't want to change their warranty, so they had to make a move?

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Why do you think that? What well known optics manufacturing facility is there? It isn’t Japan.
Sightron and Nikon among others, have been in the Phillipines for a while and I've owned several of their products made there. They were well made. I would be willing to bet that Vortex took a look at their bottom line and decided they can't afford to keep their manufacturing in China AND keep their warranty. The quality control just wasn't there and I'm sure they were having to replace a lot of product.

binoman

FNG
Forgot my diamond backs from 9 years ago are also labeled Philippine.
I emailed vortex and the confirmed the viper HD is now made in Philippines. I bought the 2018 model 12x50 a year ago and it says made in China. Didn’t focus properly and returned it. The replacement I received is fine. Will have to see if quality improves going forward.

Michael54

WKR
Id imagine its more to do with trumps tariffs than anything tbh. I had a redfield revenge scope made in phillipines. Lost its zero after 45 shots. Its kinda kept me away from the phillipines stuff since then.

rob86jeep

WKR
It's impossible to get an accurate sample off a few dissatisfied users on the internet. I've got the Vipers that were probably made in China based on when I purchased them and they've been great for me. I've heard bad things about Vortex' reliability since before they were moved to China. I've also read stories about Swaro's breaking in the field and needing the warranty. It would be interesting to see a legitimate study of the different optics brands warranty repairs (percentage wise to their sales) but we probably never will.

rodney482

WKR
The year 2019 when folks cant agree on the color of a dress..........

Ive been using Vortex since 2007 and have only had a few minor issues. (I have also owned the best of the best)

It's impossible to get an accurate sample off a few dissatisfied users on the internet. I've got the Vipers that were probably made in China based on when I purchased them and they've been great for me. I've heard bad things about Vortex' reliability since before they were moved to China. I've also read stories about Swaro's breaking in the field and needing the warranty. It would be interesting to see a legitimate study of the different optics brands warranty repairs (percentage wise to their sales) but we probably never will.

rj2

WKR
where do you guys feel the original made in japan Vortex Viper Binos stack up with todays line? ie. crossfire hd/viper hd, maven b1, etc.?

binoman

FNG
where do you guys feel the original made in japan Vortex Viper Binos stack up with todays line? ie. crossfire hd/viper hd, maven b1, etc.?
I have not compared them side by side but from what I have read, the MIJ vipers have a smaller field of view which was lagging competition. The newer VIPER HDs have a much bigger field of view. However, the older ones had a better transmission value so performance in low light should likely be a bit better.