Vortex Viper HS Riflescope Review, By Howard Mee

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Fun review.. good job! These BDC style scopes are really all you'd ever need to maintain a lightweight setup and for most hunting conditions. I have a couple along with some dial style scopes and IMO the BDC are great out to about that 450 yard mark as your ballistic app shows. Beyond that, there's just too much kentucky windage, games to play, fingers crossed, and hail mary's spoken, that the bullet is going to hit that 6, 8, or 10" vital zone. As your app shows, after 450, there's about 27" of drop between hash marks. That's when I prefer a scope that dials. Being able quickly dial into 1/4 moa and you can be much more precise with your aiming. Thanks for the review.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fun review.. good job! These BDC style scopes are really all you'd ever need to maintain a lightweight setup and for most hunting conditions. I have a couple along with some dial style scopes and IMO the BDC are great out to about that 450 yard mark as your ballistic app shows.

Yes. In most of the thick jungle country I hunt, I'll never get a shot out that far anyway! Perfect for keeping it light and simple. Thanks for commenting.

Ritzer81

FNG
I have a 4-16 BDC that i hope will be mounted this week so I can get comfortable with it. Vortex is such a great company to work with.

I have a 4-16 w/BDC on top of my Tikka T3 300 WSM and have been very happy with it. I can hold an 8in group at 500 off the bags and have dropped a deer and elk at 515 and 525. Very impressed but not looking to reach out any farther.

I have the BDC reticles in both the 6-24x50 (not mounted yet) and the 4-16x44, which is mounted on my 7mm mag TC Dimension. I freaking love that scope/rifle combo! I haven't shot past 380 yds yet because that's the furthest I can go on my property. However, with a 100 yd zero and bipod, it dials accurately every time. I haven't tried out the BDC feature yet but I regularly use the wind-holds and have had no issues. I get a lot of 5-15 mph winds, and refuse to dial for wind, so I appreciate the wind-holds for expediency.

Comprehensive review. My experience with vortex scopes has been good. If you're not a Vortex fan try the Athlon Midas HMR, same philosophy of design and use.

topher89

WKR
I put a 4x16 HS on a new Bergara 308 this year and it did great. 2 Antelope and I mule deer. I was able to use the hashmarks to make shots at 200, 240 and 310 yards.

About to buy another for a Vanguard in 30-06.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I put a 4x16 HS on a new Bergara 308 this year and it did great. 2 Antelope and I mule deer. I was able to use the hashmarks to make shots at 200, 240 and 310 yards.

About to buy another for a Vanguard in 30-06.
That's awesome - congrats! Sounds like a pretty successful season.

I don’t have the bdc version but I like this scope, and have the v-plex model. Does really well in low light. I haven’t messed with dialing with it much so I can’t comment on that. I got mine thru a sale at midway for $300. Be awful hard to beat it in that price range, but not sure I’d pay full price for it either. If I had a complaint, it would be the weight, and it’s a hair bulky. I’m waiting on a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 to compare the two. Both are roughly in the same price range. I’m also curious to see how the viper holds up on a smokeless muzzleloader, as that’s what it’s currently on. I’m shooting a light load thru it as it’s more for my daughter and a woods gun, instead of using my savage custom muzzleloader all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
So, another Vortex has to go back for repair. (I've had 3 so far) The mag ring has someone become so tight I can barely move it. Was hunting in the cold in October and it would not turn at all. Frustrating.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I don’t have the bdc version but I like this scope, and have the v-plex model. Does really well in low light. I haven’t messed with dialing with it much so I can’t comment on that. I got mine thru a sale at midway for $300. Be awful hard to beat it in that price range, but not sure I’d pay full price for it either. If I had a complaint, it would be the weight, and it’s a hair bulky. I’m waiting on a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 to compare the two. Both are roughly in the same price range. I’m also curious to see how the viper holds up on a smokeless muzzleloader, as that’s what it’s currently on. I’m shooting a light load thru it as it’s more for my daughter and a woods gun, instead of using my savage custom muzzleloader all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the support! The Viper HS works wonderfully on muzzleloaders. The 2.5-10x44 is probably our most popular option used for muzzleloaders.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
So, another Vortex has to go back for repair. (I've had 3 so far) The mag ring has someone become so tight I can barely move it. Was hunting in the cold in October and it would not turn at all. Frustrating.
Hey Rob - sorry to hear that! Have you contacted our Customer Care Team to get setup to send that in for service?