Vortex Viper opinions

Anybody have any opinion or experience with the vortex viper 65mm scopes? I'm looking at picking either the little 50mm minox or the 65mm viper... I know the viper will weigh more, but is the glass going to be that much better? Price range is under 600. Anything else I should take a look at in that range?

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in a similar spot. One thing to note, There is an authorized dealer on *bay right now selling Vortex Viper HD scopes for $650.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have only seen the Viper HD spotters, but I thought they were pretty nice. Pretty comparable to other high-end Chinese stuff like the Leupold Kenai.

Mike7

WKR
Don't mean to high jack this thread, but I've looked at spotters in this price range including the Viper and wondering which way to go.

Bitterroot Bulls, what do you recommend for a guy wanting to spend $300-900 on a spotter this year for a high country backpack mule deer hunt? Setup will be packed by 1 or 2 guys (probably only 50% of the time I'll be hunting with my friend). Scope would need to be able to be supported by a Slik Sprint Mini II Tripod.

Nikon or Minox 50mm? or Viper, etc. 65 or 80 mm?...or is it just better to go without for a year and save up for a Vortex Razor 85 mm because otherwise I will regret it later? (I don't see my self ever getting the ridiculously expensive top end Swarovski/Leica/Kowa models, so am not even considering those.)

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys look up Elknut, he is on this site. Great guy to deal with, and he can answer your questions. He is an authorized dealer for Vortex. Most importantly he has great prices.

I have had a Vortex Viper riflescope on one of my Longrange rifles, and I am VERY happy with it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
MIke7, I have a number of Vortex products, and like them. I had a Vortex Nomad, but wasn't that impressed.

If you have two guys, my choice would be to go all out on a big spotter. A used Nikon 82ED would be a fine choice at the top of your price range. The Zen Ray ED2 is probably the best Chinese spotter available, and borrows heavily from the Japanese Vortex Razor. the Zen can be found around your pricerange too.

I would consider the Viper HD in your shoes as well.

However, I don't think you would regret going with the Razor HD. I never have. Sometimes it pays to call a dealer and ask for a price, as they are contractually required to only advertize the Maximum Advertized Price (MAP), which is why all the websites have them for the same price.

ElkNut1

WKR
If any here are serious let me know! I will help you out with the best price! You can reach me at [email protected] or 208-315-0562 this is the ElkNut line & I'm the only one that answers it! Paul

B

bearguide

i would look for some used good alpha glass // you can find it at a good price if you look for a while and are patient

OP
ohhiitznik
I can find some used alpha glass, but this vortex viper hd is a nice piece, and has a lifetime warranty. Plus elknut is offering it at a great price. Would it be worth looking into a used leica APO Televid 77mm over the viper? I can find a few at decent prices.

akrdkill

WKR
Nikon or Minox 50mm? or Viper, etc. 65 or 80 mm?...or is it just better to go without for a year and save up for a Vortex Razor 85 mm because otherwise I will regret it later? (I don't see my self ever getting the ridiculously expensive top end Swarovski/Leica/Kowa models, so am not even considering those.)

how many canyons you want to hike across before the money spent becomes reality...but then again different hunting territory & diff hunting species can get by with diff optics