Vortex Viper PST gen 1

Bcowette

FNG
I am looking for a scope with an illumianted reticle that will do well in low light hunting situations. It's going on a muzzle loader that is a pretty legit 225 yard gun. It kicks pretty good so long eye relief is appreciated. I've found a good deal on a 2.5-10x44 gen 1 PST and am wondering what peoples thoughts are on those? How would it compare to the new VX freedom line with 30mm tube and firedot duplex?

pc3

WKR
IMHO the best of the Vortex Gen 1 PST scopes was the 2.5-10x32 (I have two on rimfires) and they are damn clear....rival the 2.5-10x32 NXS of which Ive owned a couple and still have one.

That one your talking about was not FFP if I recall correctly and I reckon there was a couple of reviews on it. Guy had one on a Rem 700 .308 and it tracked well etc.

The Gen 1 4-16 didnt impress me much at 16x power so steer clear of that one.

I actually dont really like the shim set up on the zero stop....but it does work.

22lr

WKR
I have 2 of the 1st gen PSTs (a 1-4x and the 4-16x), neither are the one your looking at, but they get used alot (and are 6 and 8yrs old) I love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat. Plus you can get some smoking deal on em used since everyone wants the gen II now. The illumination is also super helpful in lower light situations.

I have a PST 4-16x50 SFP on both of my 30 cal rifles. I am happy with the PST scopes. I have been running one for 6-7 years and the other about 4 years. I feel like my first PST scope is a little more crisp than the 2nd one which was purchased a few years later. However, they both hold zero and do their job.

The reticle on my Viper HS 2.5-10x44 is more clear (8 years on my kids 30 cal). It's was made in Japan so that may have something to do with it.

The newer PST are enormous. They are going in the direction of NF. I like the slimmer profile of the older generation PSTs especially for a hunting rifle. For a LR setup the larger profile wouldn't bother me.

I'm still using a Gen 1 PST 4-16x on my primary rifle and don't really see a need to change at this point. Has served my needs well.