Vortex Viper PST or Zeiss Conquest V4

WKR

WKR
Just bought a X-Bolt and I'm trying to determine what glass I will be putting on it.
Narrowed it down to these 2 options. The Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16X50 or the Vortex Viper PST 5-25X50 FFP. I haven't owned or used a first focal plane so if anyone has the viper PST in FFP is the reticle even usable at 5X ?
It's going on a Hells Canyon long range in 7MM Mag. It will be a hunting rig mostly but I do plan on some long range target shootin. I hunt my home state of California where most of my shot opportunities are between 100-300 yards. I also hunt Wyoming where shots can be much further.

22lr

WKR
I have a 1st gen Gen PST 4-16x50 in FFP with the MRAD reticle. While I'd say it's definetly useable at lower levels of magnification, you will definitely get more use at higher magnification. That said, at shorter ranges its less of an issue since you shouldn't have to worry so much about ranging/actually needing an exact range. While id argue that FFP is not really necessary for hunting inside 200 yards, if you want to use the reticle for ranging purposes it can be alot easier since you don't have to worry about dialing your scope up to the magnification that the SFP would be calibrated at.

That said, if you practice with a SFP scope, there is no reason you can't learn what the difference is on the reticle at different magnification ranges, it's just something you need to keep straight in the heat of trying to decide if you can take the shot or not.

I love my PST FFP, but can't really compare it to the Conquest for you. With my PST, I run a 200 yard zero with it ontop of my 30-06, so inside of 100yards I just aim a little low. If I need to range for longer distance, I can crank up the magnification and get a good estimate based on what I know a 16inch target looks like in the reticle. For my purposes im not going to lie, a SFP would have worked just fine for me. But I wanted to try a good FFP scope and I have to say, I do enjoy it.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted with the first gen Viper PST 6-24x50 (MOA) on top of a Savage 111LRH in 7mm and it worked well.

I have no experience with Zeiss but I have always been satisfied with Vortex products. There is a lot of Vortex hate out there and everyone has different opinions and experiences with them.

If it makes you feel better, the hunting/long range shooting rifle I am finishing this summer is a Browning X-bolt Max Long Range 300WM paired with a Vortex Viper PST Gen-II 5-25x50 FFP EBR-7C reticle. I have toyed with the scope a good bit so far and I like it, just know its not a light or small optic. Maybe once 'Rona blows over and life slows down a bit, I can get that together for elk/deer this fall.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I ended up ordering the Zeiss conquest v4 4-16X50 MOA second focal plane. I did want a ffp but I also really prefer the Zeiss glass quality over the vortex vipers. I wish Zeiss would make a ffp rifle scope but oh well. I plan on just dialing my shots.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I have hunted with the first gen Viper PST 6-24x50 (MOA) on top of a Savage 111LRH in 7mm and it worked well.

I have no experience with Zeiss but I have always been satisfied with Vortex products. There is a lot of Vortex hate out there and everyone has different opinions and experiences with them.

If it makes you feel better, the hunting/long range shooting rifle I am finishing this summer is a Browning X-bolt Max Long Range 300WM paired with a Vortex Viper PST Gen-II 5-25x50 FFP EBR-7C reticle. I have toyed with the scope a good bit so far and I like it, just know its not a light or small optic. Maybe once 'Rona blows over and life slows down a bit, I can get that together for elk/deer this fall.

Are you using any kind of cheek peice on your x bolt? And what kind/size rings did you go with for that 50mm objective lens

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
When you've had a chance to test it, post a review and enjoy your setup