Vortex viper vs razor series

Regardless of what price I can get each for, is the viper series even worth purchasing or is it better off to save for longer to go with something from the razor line? It will be a 12x50 either way.

Also, if the recommendation is to wait longer and try to get into the razor line, once you get into that price range are there other brands/models that are better glass?

Rob5589

WKR
Honestly, I would do more research before buying the Vortex. As well as calling Doug at Camera Land. There are better values out there.

OP
T
Honestly, I would do more research before buying the Vortex. As well as calling Doug at Camera Land. There are better values out there.

Values when comparing MSRP prices? It would be well below that. If you could enlighten me a bit that would be great

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have the 12x50 Vipers and they are great. Especially if you can get a good deal on them. The razors will be better though. Worth double? Maybe not. I have read many articles calling the vipers really good value. I notice edge to edge clarity differences between the two with razors being better.

I have a pair if Meostar 12x50 that get here Friday I’ll let you know how they compare.

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
Viper and Razor line used to have a performance larger gap. I am not sure I would spend the money on the Razor over the Viper. Once Viper was made in the Philippines and Razor line made in Japan, but they are both made in China now. You have to go to the new UHD Razor line to get quality glass again.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Having used both razors and vipers side by side a lot, I would say there isn't a whole lot of difference, for binoculars at least. I have used the 12x50 razors and the 15x50 vipers a bunch, and as far as glass quality I don't see much of a difference. Ergonomics are slightly better for the razor, but not several hundred dollars better. I think vortex is a great option when you can get them at a discount, I was able to get my stuff for 50% off new. Not a bad value then.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have been doing some testing on similar priced binos. I pasted the thread below. Lots of words. Skip them and look at the chart results in the pictures.

Compares resolution of Vipers, Razors, UHDs, others. Not all the Cortez are the exact format (10,12,18 etc) but taken as a whole you can see how they stack up against similar prices optics.

Hope that provides some semi-objective results to digest.

From a reliability perspective based upon my personal experience over the past 5 years, do not buy any Vortex product that is not a Razor. Every non-Razor product that I've purchased the past 5 years have all failed.

Call Doug, tell him what you are wanting to accomplish with the 12s, and see what he says. There are a lot of great options in optics nowadays so I would not be stuck on a single manufacturer especially at that price point.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I have only compared spotting scopes viper vs vortex. It was an obvious difference to my eyes.