Vortex vs Leupold Hunting Scope

Looking for feedback on these two scopes. Will go on a 7mm Rem Mag as my go to hunting rifle for big anything from cornfields in WI for whitetails to elk out west. What are your thoughts on these 2 scopes:

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 fire dot and Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Search around, you'll find lots of info, not necessarily good either, on both scopes/brands.
Personally, I have used 3 first gen PST's and all 3 were repaired for one reason or another. One had to go back twice. My current Viper HS is being repaired right now.
For me, the only Vortex I will own in the future is the Razor line. I used a first gen Razor 5-20 and it was a solid piece of glass.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Search around, you'll find lots of info, not necessarily good either, on both scopes/brands.
Personally, I have used 3 first gen PST's and all 3 were repaired for one reason or another. One had to go back twice. My current Viper HS is being repaired right now.
For me, the only Vortex I will own in the future is the Razor line. I used a first gen Razor 5-20 and it was a solid piece of glass.
Is Vortex repairing it at their cost? Curious how solid their "lifetime warranty" is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
S
Good to know, thanks

Rob5589

WKR
Is Vortex repairing it at their cost? Curious how solid their "lifetime warranty" is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes Sir. Every time on their dime. Their service is fantastic, very responsive, keep you updated, etc. It just sucks to have to use it so often.
I even used them for some DB binos. I requested a clean and once over, there were no issues. They even paid for that. In the end they just shipped me a brand new pair. I'm guessing they weren't all that serviceable and being the first gen, easier and cheaper to give me a new one. Great CS for sure.

OP
S
I have a lot of Leupold glass and a couple Vortex, no problems with either. If i had to choose, I'd go Leupold.
I'm leaning towards the leupold, never owned a vortex but a friend says he really likes them

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have 2 of the Leupolds your looking at. One on a 257, the other on a 300 Weatherby. Not had a single issue with either. Have around 8 Leupold scopes right now, couple Zeiss and a couple Burris. Never owned a Vortex and probably never will. Not saying they’re a bad scope, I’ve just had great luck with Leupold. IMO, Leupold has the brightness and clarity of the Zeiss at less cost. The comparable Vortex weighed more if I remember right.

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for feedback on these two scopes. Will go on a 7mm Rem Mag as my go to hunting rifle for big anything from cornfields in WI for whitetails to elk out west. What are your thoughts on these 2 scopes:

Thanks

I just switched over to leupold instead of vortex. I had my vortex freeze stuck on 3x magnification. On a winter moose hunt. Ended up having to make a 300+ yard shot with it. Plus I like that leupold is US made, unlike Vortex

Xmanjk

FNG
I’d go leupold as well seem to perform better under low light and edge clarity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RescueBob

FNG
I run a VX-5HD on my 7mm Rem Mag and highly recommend it. Performance wise, both should be more than adequate as far as light transmission, clarity and accuracy are concerned, so I would dig more into the features that will/won't work for your applicaiton.

The Leupold will be significantly lighter weight (~19 oz vs ~28 oz). In my opinion the simplicity and accuracy of the CDS custom dial is extremely difficult to beat for a hunting rifle. The zero lock on it is excellent too. Downside of the CDS is that you would have to get multiple dials made if you plan on shooting more than 1 cartridge, or just use the original dial without specific yardage marks for the less used cartridge. This was non factor for me as I only shoot 1 cartridge for whitetail to elk.

The Vortex has FFP if you're big on that. The big positive of FFP is using the reticle for hold-off at various magnifications and not having to dial (always accurate reticle holdoff vs SFP is only accurate at a designated magnification). I have yet to find this to be applicable in hunting situations. The "tactical" reticle and more dialing features would be nice though if you plan on using it on a dual purpose hunting and long range target rifle.

The bottom line for me is that the VX-5HD is designed to be a hunting scope giving it a far better set of features for that purpose than the VIPER PST II, which was designed as a long range/tactical shooting scope. Both are very good scopes though.

If you want a better Vortex option for hunting that is comparable to the VX-5HD and roughly the same price point, I would look at the Razor HD LHT.

Last edited:

ephul

FNG
Had a Leupold VX-1, and on the Eve of Opening morning deer season, I discovered I couldn't turn the ring to adjust the power. Sent it to Leupold and was a little disappointed in the time it took for them to repair. Probably a month or so.

Every manufacturer will have their issues. Which one makes the process of fixing issues the easiest?

I'd add Burris to your scope choices. Love their scopes and service.

DComer_55

Lil-Rokslider
I run a VX-5HD on my 7mm Rem Mag and highly recommend it. Performance wise, both should be more than adequate as far as light transmission, clarity and accuracy are concerned, so I would dig more into the features that will/won't work for your applicaiton.

The Leupold will be significantly lighter weight (~19 oz vs ~28 oz). In my opinion the simplicity and accuracy of the CDS custom dial is extremely difficult to beat for a hunting rifle. The zero lock on it is excellent too. Downside of the CDS is that you would have to get multiple dials made if you plan on shooting more than 1 cartridge, or just use the original dial without specific yardage marks for the less used cartridge. This was non factor for me as I only shoot 1 cartridge for whitetail to elk.

The Vortex has FFP if you're big on that. The big positive of FFP is using the reticle for hold-off at various magnifications and not having to dial (always accurate reticle holdoff vs SFP is only accurate at a designated magnification). I have yet to find this to be applicable in hunting situations. The "tactical" reticle and more dialing features would be nice though if you plan on using it on a dual purpose hunting and long range target rifle.

The bottom line for me is that the VX-5HD is designed to be a hunting scope giving it a far better set of features for that purpose than the VIPER PST II, which was designed as a long range/tactical shooting scope. Both are very good scopes though.

If you want a better Vortex option for hunting that is comparable to the VX-5HD and roughly the same price point, I would look at the Razor HD LHT.
Not the OP but had the same question. Thanks for the info, you I was leaning Leupold for the reasons you noted and think there's a VX5 in my future now lol

Thanks

Another vote for Leupold here. I have tried both and they just seem to work best for me. I have not had any CS issues with either brand.