Vortex vs Leupold Hunting Scope

slong

FNG
I have that exact Leupold VX5HD on a 7mm Rem Mag, and it's been far better than the Vortex Viper I replaced it with. I actually need to send the Viper into Vortex for repair. I also have the firedot reticle, but my groups tend to expand a little when I use it. Overall, I think the VX5HD is great glass in it's price range for light transmission and edge clarity.
I second this. No comparison.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jakerex

WKR
Leupold I would suggest. Just because that’s what I’ve always used. Never had an issue. I do own a vortex hat and really like it. That all I own from vortex!

I think the VX3 or 3i or whatever their 3 is, or similar is the best bang for the buck out there. Actually, I think the VX2’s are best bang for the buck, but they don’t make em anymore. I have leups on everything. Personally, I’d save some $$ and go with the non AO 3i 4-14x40 cds zl. Who wants to mess with an AO?

Don’t think you could notice a difference between a leup 3 or 5 series in regards to clarity or light gathering abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a Leopold on a 270 for about 20 years and it has never done me wrong. It has held dead on center the whole time, I check every few years and it has needed literally zero adjustments-- probably also attributable to the rings and rifle, but worth mentioning.

The Vortex is a nice scope too, you wouldn't be unhappy with it, but the Leopold has been flawless for me.

I have Leupolds on everything with exception to one rifle with a older Swaro AV. Mostly VX3s and a few VX3is. I prefer the VX3s.
my rifles dont get hard use with exception to riding around on an atv. I dont dial and use good quality bases and rings. I rarely have to make any adjustments year after year when I check the zero before hunting with any of them. I doubt you will be disappointed in the Leuys.

While I've only owned the VX3 line and vortex viper lines, I have compared multiple scopes on my family/buddies and I honestly think vortex is the way to go. maybe it's just my eyes, but I think the viper and even the razor are just really bright.

KineKilla

WKR
If you search Vortex you will find that their name is promptly followed by the word Warranty. There is a reason for that. Sure, they'll fix it but wouldn't it be nice to not have to?

Leupold CDS gets my vote. Guess what, they'll honor their quality and repair or replace as well.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

The new zl2 turrets on the leupolds were supposed to fix some of their tracking issues on the older style. A LOT of guys on here and other forums have been very happy with their vx5s. I've personally never owned either.

mauserfan

FNG
I have used a VX6HD 1-6 for a bit and it is an exceptional scope. I have been a Swarovski Habicht Fixed power guy for many years and it is an equal to that. I still use a fixed power for hunting big game.
Darrel Wick

I had a lot of Vortex products when they first came out.
But then after buying one of their $600 scopes I had a bad experience. It seemed the coatings were off. In bright light it'd get washed out really bad. Even if it was just a little bit of light of a rising sun it'd render the scope useless.

Since Vortex has their warranty I sent it in expecting a new scope or a repair. They sent me back the same scope and said it was perfectly fine. So I sold it on here and bought a Leupold.

The Loopy is just a better scope with better glass for the same price range.

The problem with V is they'll sell you their warranty then the actual product. With Leupold it's the other way around.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Id go leupold over vortex for everything other than rangefinders if price isn’t a factor. But sometimes you can find better deals.

hotsoup

FNG
I have used Leupold scopes since the early 70s. Still my first choice. I have a couple vortex scopes which seem fine. If I could own only one brand it would be Leupold .

I have used Leupold scopes since the early 70s. Still my first choice. I have a couple vortex scopes which seem fine. If I could own only one brand it would be Leupold .
Agreed. My oldest is a Vari-X II in 3-9x40, Gloss. I think that scope was manufactured in the late 70s or early 80s. It is still very clear. I love my older Leupolds the most for sure. I have owned two vortex scopes in the Viper line, as well as 1 Diamondback, and 1 in the Razor line.

Fowleasy

FNG
I’d go Leupold. I’ve owned both. Both offer similar warranties. But Leupolds definitely have the better glass and track true on dialing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mschroeder40

Lil-Rokslider
I love my vortex razor lht 3-15x42. Liberty optics has them for $799. Great glass and locking turret with a t reticle with a floating dot.👍

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Many Leupolds and several Steiners in my safe. I own everything from vintage Vari-Xs all the way up to a VH-5HD. Every Vortex I've run has been pulled off and replaced with one or the other at some point. One of my biggest gripes with Vortex is the weight of their products compared to Leupold offerings.

IMO, one of the best deals on the market right now is the (I think recently discontinued) Steiner GS3. That's what my muzzleloader and .270 currently wear. You can pick them up for $599 which is an exceptional deal, especially with the S1 ballistic reticle.

About a year ago, VX-3is were selling for really good prices, but those deals seem to be just about gone now that the more expensive VX-3HD is fully on scene.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
The Steiner GS3 is 18oz, and barely over half the price of the LHT.

Leupold VX-5HD is even lighter at 16.9oz, and is still cheaper than the LHT.

The Vortex Viper PST Gen II the OP originally asked about is a whopping 28oz. Completely unnecessary weight for a hunting rifle.

as many others have stated both are great scopes and everybody has their own opinions. But my opinion is hands down LEUPOLD, their warranty is the same as vortex they just don't market it as hard as vortex. I personally only own one vortex optic and its a RZR spotter which has been pretty decent so far but i have lots of friends who own nothing but vortex and they're good when they work but they are always sending them in for repairs