Vortex vs Leupold Hunting Scope

go_deep

WKR
I have 5 Leupold scopes, some are almost 40 years old and I've never had to send one in for repair. I have 2 Vortex that are both 5 years old, one has been in for repair, twice.
I love lifetime warranties, but in the end I'd really rather not use them... especially during hunting season.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I have a VX3 4.5-14x42 (10+ years old now probably), and a PST gen 1 4-16x50 ffp. The clarity and light transmission is so much better on the leupold. I can't imagine how much better a VX5 would be.

I really only bought the PST for the illuminated reticle and ffp.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Had a Leupold VX-1, and on the Eve of Opening morning deer season, I discovered I couldn't turn the ring to adjust the power. Sent it to Leupold and was a little disappointed in the time it took for them to repair. Probably a month or so.

Every manufacturer will have their issues. Which one makes the process of fixing issues the easiest?

I'd add Burris to your scope choices. Love their scopes and service.
Took Burris 2 months to replace a Fullfield E1. Keep sending me emails that it was shipped today. Today took 2 months like I said.
In the last 10 minutes of shooting light, you’ll see the difference between Leupold and Burris.

Ben_in_WI

FNG
I have narrowed scope choices down to the same two brands for my 7mm mag. Thanks for helping me decide on the Leopold.

ephul

FNG
ElkHntr- I had pretty bad customer service with Leupold when my VX-1 went down. Took a LONG time to replace.

I'll have to disagree on the Leupold topping Burris the last few minutes... I've had great luck with both. Love both.

I had a Nikon Buckmasters on one of my deer rifles, and I'll never own another Nikon. Terrible glass and poor evening scope. And I mean POOR.

And I'll agree with the poster above.... I'm just not a huge Vortex guy. ESPECIALLY, their lower end scopes. I've got a Vortex Crossfire II and it just isn't a good scope; poor glass, feels ridiculously cheap. For as cheap as you can get Leupold VX Freedoms and Burris Fullfields, I see no reason to get a lower end Vortex (Crossfire/Diamondback). Can't speak on behalf of the higher end ones.

Zdub02

WKR
I'll add another vote for Leupold. I've had great luck with them and the light transmission is better than on the vortex optics I've used

I've always had leupold but have bought a few vortex recently. I've had no issues with the vortex but they dont feel as solid as the leupold.

WCB

WKR
Vortex is not fixing it on "their" dime...as with any warranty cost is fixed in to the price. With no questions asked lifetime warranties you are paying for the guy that treats his equipment like crap...Cranks his turrets way past design range etc.

No blaming guys for buying into the warranty but there is a reason A LOT guys say the have a great warranty but you are going to use it. The best warranty in the world doesn't matter when you are in the middle of nowhere. I also understand that any product from any manufacturer could have a defect or fail...I'd hedge my bets on the company that people aren't bragging about how good the warranty is on the third time they sent the same product back.

VX5hd. easy choice. much better glass and will track more reliably if you plan to dial. Plus the zero lock and fire dot are icing on the cake

my buddy switched over from vortex to leupold after he shot my VX5. I’ve shot both and obviously prefer leupold.

Mosby

WKR
My brother has a Leupold on his 30-06 that has been on his rifle for close to 50 years. Most of my Leupolds were purchased over 25 years ago. We have never had one fail.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I run only Leupold on my rifles with the exception of a newly acquired Swaro Z5.
I love the leupolds. Never had an issue.
With that said I run a Vortex Razor spotter and Razor 12x50 Binos.
They both perform very well.
The VX5HD is an amazing scope at that price point. Hard to beat IMHO

Lytro

WKR
I have that exact Leupold VX5HD on a 7mm Rem Mag, and it's been far better than the Vortex Viper I replaced it with. I actually need to send the Viper into Vortex for repair. I also have the firedot reticle, but my groups tend to expand a little when I use it. Overall, I think the VX5HD is great glass in it's price range for light transmission and edge clarity.