Vortex vs Leupold

So looking for some thoughts on the two. I currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4x16 that I bought a couple years ago. Good scope but I’m less than blown away with the clarity at high zoom and the light gathering isn’t as good as I would have thought.

My question is, will the Viper series be better in both those areas? I don’t have access to a store to really look through them.

Second question; is Leopold a better option. If so, what “series” in the moderate price ranges (700-900)?

I know there’s some Ford vs Chevy opinions, but looking for some ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
You can find the VX5 under a $1000 if you look around right now. I have several VX6 & 5’s and their low light performance is really good. I don’t own vortex anymore and my buddies that do have the vortex talk about how good their customer service is when it comes to warranty claims. I’ve never had to use Leupold customer service as all of mine have been rock solid. Not hating on vortex at all just sharing my experience.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you considered a Meopta Meopro or a Steiner GS3 or H4xi? IMO, either of these will be superior both optically as well as build quality

SB1

FNG
I have a VX5 on my rifle and love it. Like Mountainman said, low light performance and clarity are great. I also have Vortex ViperHD binos, and I know that’s a little different, but same, their low light and clarity is amazing. I’ve compared to my buddy’s lower level Vortex and there is def a difference in the level of detail you can see. I would assume that translates to scopes too. As you go up in price both brands offfer super high quality stuff. Try to find the best deals and either will be great.

OP
C
Thanks guys, Sounds like maybe the lower priced Vortex may be the biggest thing affecting the quality. I’m in no rush so hopefully I can get a chance to look at them in person before purchasing. Thanks!!

JNDEER

WKR
Same thing I went through. Had the 4-16 Diamondback just like you and wanted an upgrade. I believe the VX3i is optically better than the Viper HS series based on the in store and out of store tests I did. However I ended up with the Viper HS (couldn't get the B&C reticle from BPS and had gift cards to use). I am not displeased with it, but sometimes wonder if I should have purchased the Leupy anyways and used my GC on something else.

Ford vs Chevy lol, I don't think Vortex and Leupold should be in the same comparison categories. My experience with vortex is two razors and a diamondback. Neither are worth the money in my opinion and the best selling point is the unlimited replacement warranty. Plan on using it frequently. Leupold does make some crappy models like the freedom series but even those are better than a vortex in my experiences. Trijicon makes some nice units in your price range that absolutely blow ANY vortex out of the water in clarity and light transmission, or find a used leupold. There is a reason the market is saturated with used vortex optics.

Prisms and lenses in optics don't wear out or fade from age. A lot depends on how you care for them. I have a handful of Crossfire II scopes thay have served well over the years. I also have some Leupold VX II's on some rifles. I actually prefer the clarity and FOV through the Vortex over the Leupold.

Common denominator(s): words like 'my', 'opinion', and 'preference' are commonly used in most equipment discussions on hunting interent forums.

jfs82

WKR
Much preferred my viper pst gen ii to the leupold I had (maybe not in the same price class though). I don't use either anymore.

OP
C
It’s interesting, I had never heard of Meopta scope before this thread. I’ve been researching them this afternoon watching the snow pile up and now I’m seriously considering one of them. Seems like there aren’t many poor opinions of them. Really like the review of the Optika 6. May be moving in that direction.

I’ve been around Vortex optics for years. My friends and family have owned everything from rangefinders, to scopes, to binoculars, to spotting scopes. They have had everything from their lower end to the top of the line. I wouldn’t use one if it was given to me. In my experience they are garbage. I’ve seen them break and optics go bad over and over again. They are today what Tasco was in the 80s. The only good thing about them is their warranty. My brothers and friends are definitely moving away from them as they can afford something good.

That's a harsh comparison. I'd rank Vortex a solid competitor with Barska, but Tasco? Ouch.🤣😁
I’ve been around Vortex optics for years. My friends and family have owned everything from rangefinders, to scopes, to binoculars, to spotting scopes. They have had everything from their lower end to the top of the line. I wouldn’t use one if it was given to me. In my experience they are garbage. I’ve seen them break and optics go bad over and over again. They are today what Tasco was in the 80s. The only good thing about them is their warranty. My brothers and friends are definitely moving away from them as they can afford something good.

I’ve had scopes from low end to high end from almost all makers over the years.
Everything I hunt with wears Leupold. Plenty bright and I’ve never had to use their warrantee I’ve got a Vari-X III that I’ve banged around for 30+ years on several different rifles with 10’s of thousands of rounds under it and zero problems.

I put VX-R 2-7X 33 scopes on both of my younger kids rifles and they are surprisingly light and bright with excellent optical quality, especially considering the price range. The firedot reticle is a nice bonus too.

If you’re looking for a pure hunting scope without the need to dial, Leupold is the way to go.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Isn't Vortex all made in Taiwan now?

I've had great results from my VX-II & VX-III riflescopes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a Leupold VXIII, two of the Vortex Diamondback HD's and two of the Vortex Razor HD LH's and the Razors are my favorite scopes by far. I'm not sure what features you are looking for, but the 3-15 razors can be found for $700-800 new and around $600 used. IMO they are much brighter and clear compared to the Diamondback HD's and the Leupold VXIII and VS-3i's. I'm sure I would like the Leupold VX-5HD's, but the Vortex Razor LH's can usually be found for less.

Leupold VX-5HD beats comparable Vortex Viper as a hunting scope in virtually every category that matters. Know there are many Vortex fans on this site, but the Leupold has superior components, is clearer, with better low light performance, better eye relief, and much lighter. Hear a lot about Vortex warranty - I’m always weary of any company that oversells warranty vs quality. Leupold emphasizes quality and equally stands behind their stuff - has superb and fast customer service. Have owned several Leupolds and none have ever let me down. Also, Leupold has a far superior discount program for active/retired military, veterans, and law enforcement.

rodney482

WKR
Im running a couple Meopros. Love them

It’s interesting, I had never heard of Meopta scope before this thread. I’ve been researching them this afternoon watching the snow pile up and now I’m seriously considering one of them. Seems like there aren’t many poor opinions of them. Really like the review of the Optika 6. May be moving in that direction.