Vortex

Alright so I have been debating for about 2 months now on my next binocular purchase. I know it will be vortex and it will either be 10x50 or 10x42. I was sold on diamondbacks but after look at the FOV for the crossfires vs diamondbacks. I’m starting to go to the crossfires with the 10x50. I’m going to be using them for mule deer this year. I know many of you will say save my money for a better pair but I’m already making enough purchase with my hunts this year so that is not an option. What’s the difference in the glass quality with the 2? And now I’m starting to find out there are HD versions in both pair. Would the crossfire HDs be around the same quality as the diamondbacks? I have the ability to go with the Diamondback HD if I need to but I’m not sure the quality difference and if it will be worth it. I will be going on my first western mule deer hunt and will be saving for a spotting scope next year. Thanks

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
What's your budget? You might be able to pick something up used that's a little better. Also look at getting refurbs at aaoptics.com, they still come with the lifetime warranty. Also will you be using a tripod to glass off of?

OP
Forkieslayer
I’m looking at under $250 and thanks I will check them out. And yes I’ll be bringing a tripod to glass off of.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Out of curiosity why are you limited to Vortex? There's the Athlon Argos series which is price competitive to the Crossfires but superior and there's the Athlon Midas series which is price competitive to the Diamondbacks and also superior.

If it's for the warranty both companies offer the same no fault warranty

I know you don't want to hear it but... Do yourself a favor and find a way to scrounge up $40-$50 and get a pair of Maven C1's. You'll be money and performance ahead, and won't regret it.

I have used buddy’s Diamondbacks and I’ll tell you don’t buy the Vortex binos. Maven is where the value is in that price range. Athlon is probably good too because they make a great mid range spotter (Ares) but I haven’t looked through their binos. Vortex is way overpriced and there’s a reason most of the solid guys around this site hardly touch them.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
For a budget bino I highly recommend at least looking through the Celestron Trailseeker

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex glass is a good deal if you can get it half off.

Which you can, pretty regularly.

Between the Crossfires and the Diamondbacks, the Diamondbacks are the better optic and worth spending what will probably amount to an extra $30.

You should be able to get a pair of 10x42 or 10x50 Diamondbacks on the classifieds here for around $150. Sometimes, you can even find Diamondbacks new for that price. I bought a pair of 10x42s for $160 brand new at Cabela's four years ago.

Like others have said, aaoptics.com sells refurbished vortex gear at a steep discount. If you are willing to up your budget from $250 to $300, you could buy a pair of Viper HDs.

The Viper HD is the step in the Vortex lineup where the internals and housing get beefed up a little. At least that's what Vortex customer service told me when I called to ask why I kept breaking the diopter on my diamondbacks.

OP
Forkieslayer
I ended up purchasing the diamondbacks 10x50 at aaoptics about a week ago like some of you suggested. So far I’m impressed but i haven’t looked through a lot of good glass. Thanks for all the replies.

personal opinion here.. I would go cheap given your scenario. I used the vortex viper for a few years and recently upgraded to the swarovski slc. For glass in that price range the competition in all the companies for beginner glass is pretty dang comparable. comparing $200 glass to $600 glass isn't that significant but comparing $600 glass to $1000+ glass isnt even comparable. Then when you do want to upgrade you can keep the cheap pair for the truck and get high end glass down the road. I regret spending the amount on the vipers then jumping to the slc. youll save more in the long run. that is if you ever plan to pull the trigger on high end glass.

Enjoy.

If you find yourself wanting more save money and get an alpha level pair of binos. I get it. You need glass now and buying alpha glass isn't always realistic.

I started with midlevel glass. Once I knew I would be hunting every year I saved for better glass. I still use my midlevel binos for kids, camping, car trips, so I don't think it was a waste of money. I just leave them in my truck these days.

Side-by-side with my midlevel binos and the alpha glass: There is a definitive difference (color, brightness, clarity, dawn/dust light capturing, eye strain). I spot animals others don't see. Last year hunting, I spotted a group of 3-4 does, 1.5 miles away in low light conditions, two guys I was with never saw them with their binos (midlevel glass) even after I told them exactly where to look. They could only see them with the spotting scope. I feel a huge advantage, not often mentioned with alpha glass, is less eye strain when glassing for prolonged periods of time.

Reverify your diopter settings every year. For some of us our vision changes yearly and for others not so much. However, if you don't reverify your diopter settings, you will place additional strain on your eyes, if an adjustment was needed.

Last edited:
What's your budget? You might be able to pick something up used that's a little better. Also look at getting refurbs at aaoptics.com, they still come with the lifetime warranty. Also will you be using a tripod to glass off of?

Anyone have experience with the refurb vortex glass? viper hd for $350ish seems like a reasonable deal.

I was recently in the field with a gentleman with meopta meopros 8x42. Clarity and sharpness in a forested setting along a stream were fantastic. If the new optika's that Doug mentioned are comparable at $300 that seems to be the way to go.