Vortex’s Warranty...let’s see how good it really is.

I bought a viper scope that had the side parallax focus know break and I was able to take it to a local vortex dealer and they swapped it out for me. No questions asked. Pretty cool huh?
A week later my hunting partner and I head to the range to help another of our partners with his new rifle. He’s a newbie to hunting, but familiar with weapon systems since he is a fellow Marine. I had my razor spotting scope and my partner had his viper. As I was grabbing mine he told me to leave it in the truck since he already had his out. We walk up to our bench and set up. Run the target out to 100 yds (max range at this range) and return to set up tripod and spotting scope. He pulls out his viper and it’s snapped in two. Two weeks prior we used it at this exact range and it was fine. Scope was placed in the range bag and then in his back seat of his cab then set in his garage. Nothing on top of the bag that he was aware of. But some how, it broke. I’m half. Thankfully I had my razor and we were good to go. Buddy’s 100yd group with ruger American in 308 and cheap vortex crossfire scope. Viper is being sent in to vortex and I’m sure they will replace it as new. The local retailer didn’t have the same model in for the swap.
No idea what snapped it in half.

Attachments

• 9C5AEEAD-A5BF-463F-85CA-DA49CDAB664D.jpeg
    9C5AEEAD-A5BF-463F-85CA-DA49CDAB664D.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 232
  • BD92117A-CF58-479E-A618-B79B7AC5545C.jpeg
    BD92117A-CF58-479E-A618-B79B7AC5545C.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 6A7E5F37-00E5-4265-85F9-ADDC6A29DC1E.jpeg
    6A7E5F37-00E5-4265-85F9-ADDC6A29DC1E.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 224
  • CC51A685-A910-401E-835A-1D94FCA6813A.png
    CC51A685-A910-401E-835A-1D94FCA6813A.png
    784.4 KB · Views: 218

Forest

WKR
Id like to say I'm suprised but I'm not. They will likely replace it and will probably get the newer style out of the deal. Ive only had vortex mid tier stuff like the viper, diamondback etc. Never had anything that major happen but its all been sent back at least once. My diamondback binos have. been worked on 3 times, granted they get used a lot but still.
While they are great about working on their stuff or often just replacing it, their quality control is sub par at best.
I think a lot of people would be suprised how great companies like leupold, swaro, meopta, maven etc are to work with on issues even tho they don't spend mega $$$ on gloating about their warranties. Not to mention they dont need to be used nearly as much, or maybe that's just how its worked for me

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I bought a viper scope that had the side parallax focus know break and I was able to take it to a local vortex dealer and they swapped it out for me. No questions asked. Pretty cool huh?
A week later my hunting partner and I head to the range to help another of our partners with his new rifle. He’s a newbie to hunting, but familiar with weapon systems since he is a fellow Marine. I had my razor spotting scope and my partner had his viper. As I was grabbing mine he told me to leave it in the truck since he already had his out. We walk up to our bench and set up. Run the target out to 100 yds (max range at this range) and return to set up tripod and spotting scope. He pulls out his viper and it’s snapped in two. Two weeks prior we used it at this exact range and it was fine. Scope was placed in the range bag and then in his back seat of his cab then set in his garage. Nothing on top of the bag that he was aware of. But some how, it broke. I’m half. Thankfully I had my razor and we were good to go. Buddy’s 100yd group with ruger American in 308 and cheap vortex crossfire scope. Viper is being sent in to vortex and I’m sure they will replace it as new. The local retailer didn’t have the same model in for the swap.
No idea what snapped it in half.
Obviously something happend he didint know about maybe the wife ran it over who knows vortex will take care of it

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy! My buddies binos burned in his house during a wildfire and vortex replaced them. Their warranty is bomb proof.
What ammo was your buddy using on that Ruger American? It's a good gun. He shot quite a group! Working on setting up my son's Ruger American in 7mm-08 with a vortex diamondback. Looking for some good ammo to run through it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
I got a brand new pair of Vortex 15x56's. Seem to be working fine.
Think I'll just go ahead and send them back after reading this thread.

BluMtn

WKR
I have said this before in another thread but will repeat it again hoping to save a least one person some Vortex misery.

Yes they will warranty all their products regardless of the damage. In my case "I" damaged my razor bino's while coyote hunting and called them to send them in. By this time Vortex had upgraded their model line to the HDs. And as I mentioned in my post my razors were some of the first ones shipped out after they started selling them. When Vortex received them I received an Email from them stating they would replace them due to the damage.

I called Vortex and ask the CS rep that since they know longer build the old style razor could I pay for an upgrade to the HD razor. Her reply was that is not how it works. I once again stated that I was willing to pay for an upgrade. The CS lady stated that they would send me a like model to which I responded that you do not build this model anymore. Her response to that was they have some binos that they use in the R&D and quality control area that they will send.

About a week later I received my warrantied razors and upon examination you could see that they had been handled with some scuff marks on the barrels, but the glass was ok. I had written the serial number of my set down for reference because mine were pre-order bino's and when I checked the serial number on my replacements they were older that the set I had sent in by a large margin. That is why I am no longer a choir boy for Vortex.

I hear all the hype about no fault warranty and replacement optics no questions asked.

Where vortex loses me is failure at the moment I need it the most.

I run swarovski binoculars and a Kowa spotter. Yeah they have dam good warranties even if I do something stupid they will work with me.

Having never needed to use my warranties with them and having alpha optics that I can rely on will keep my money with Swarovski and kowa.

I am sure there are plenty of people with many different optics that have needed repair/warranty work and many that have not. Brands can all be bashed for needing warranty work. I have seen pretty much all the top names drug through the mud for the need for warranty work or lack of coverage (more often the case with high end optics).
Having said that, vortex is a decent brand for low cost glass. Their talon HD line of Binos is an exceptional value for the quality and I have not had any issues with mine.
I would likely not buy a higher end line than those, but for what I paid for those I am extremely pleased.
I have a swaro Z5 scope, a bushnell LRHS scope, and haven’t ever had to use warranty on those either. And I am pleased with both those scopes given what I paid for them too.

As with any piece of equipment, there are brands and pieces that fit a niche role. Vortex fills a lot of folks needs quite well, some need more and there are options for that. It’s all relative to needs and ability.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It could have had a hairline fracture. And then if it was in his truck and his truck was parked outside where it was say 100 degrees, well over 100 inside the truck. The gas they use inside the glass expands and a hairline fracture becomes a complete separation of the two halves. That would be my guess.

OP
Y
It could have had a hairline fracture. And then if it was in his truck and his truck was parked outside where it was say 100 degrees, well over 100 inside the truck. The gas they use inside the glass expands and a hairline fracture becomes a complete separation of the two halves. That would be my guess.
Good theory, but we live in Alaska. And it sat in his truck from the range to his house. So 14 miles. Then he took it out (we rode together). Still curious how it happened. Legit curious.